Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Recommended Posts

stir fried chicken, peppers, and shiitake mushrooms in a hoisin, garlic and ginger sauce

 

285903507_hoisinchicken.thumb.jpg.09d2e8a2fc1d4fe1ba82df5988217a6c.jpg

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

stir fried chicken, peppers, and shiitake mushrooms in a hoisin, garlic and ginger sauce

 

285903507_hoisinchicken.thumb.jpg.09d2e8a2fc1d4fe1ba82df5988217a6c.jpg

C

A big Yum!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordinary Tuna Casserole for me tonight.

One of my favorites.  Easy Peasy.


Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slow cooker pot roast with potatoes, celery, and carrots

77006274_1445693828918119_3933905845150023680_n.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of weeks ago we went to the big smoke and got Thai Takeaway. I refused to spend $33 on half a BBQ duck, ordered the duck stir fry for $24, picked the 4 pieces of duck breast out and left 90% of the noodles and veg. My sense of economy uh, tickled my husbands enfuriate bone 😅

Today I got home and he had (as part of project empty the freezer/prove a point) BBQd me a whole duck to 'pick'... which I started before I remembered to take a photo 😂

 

20191105_192321.thumb.jpg.d2598f05fd20417cceceeff7eacf87be.jpg

 

Whipped the kid up a quick noodly ducky vege thing. 

 

20191105_192245.thumb.jpg.c16c27aaf95e4c4566158dae556f0360.jpg


Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got this text from Jessica: "Mom, you need to make more of this dressing (Momofuku ranch).  I snagged some out of the fridge this morning to go on my lunch salad.  It is my new favorite thing."  😂  Another convert.

  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Kewpie on my shopping list.  I haven't a clue where I can find pickled ramps though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have Kewpie on my shopping list.  I haven't a clue where I can find pickled ramps though.

I didn't find pickled ramps.  I used the cocktail onions and the greens of spring onions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I just got this text from Jessica: "Mom, you need to make more of this dressing (Momofuku ranch).  I snagged some out of the fridge this morning to go on my lunch salad.  It is my new favorite thing."  😂  Another convert.

Perhaps I should start selling my pickled ramps!

 

:)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn. Reckon I'm going to have to try this stuff.

 

  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I didn't find pickled ramps.  I used the cocktail onions and the greens of spring onions.  

That works just fine!      To paraphrase a classic, "We don't need no stinkin' ramps."

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dönerteller (commercial product 😉)

 

CEE3476F-3C40-4E3F-87D9-C781A4A6AD85.thumb.jpeg.7b6316cf89a0dc29d2fd3c1f9f06f1d6.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I didn't find pickled ramps.  I used the cocktail onions and the greens of spring onions.  

 

Sweet pickled onions or sour ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest if you cannot locate ramps, pickled or not - to add a tiny bit of garlic to your dressing.  Being that a ramp is a wild cross between the garlic and onion family and certainly has garlic notes to it.

 

Still have a whack of ramps from Spring - perhaps I might give the dressing a go...though I do recall seeing buttermilk in it, which totally put me off!  But I suppose easily substituted. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TicTac said:

I would suggest if you cannot locate ramps, pickled or not - to add a tiny bit of garlic to your dressing.  Being that a ramp is a wild cross between the garlic and onion family and certainly has garlic notes to it.

 

Still have a whack of ramps from Spring - perhaps I might give the dressing a go...though I do recall seeing buttermilk in it, which totally put me off!  But I suppose easily substituted. 

Why does buttermilk as an ingredient put you off?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Why does buttermilk as an ingredient put you off?  

For that I would have to lay down on a large comfortable day bed and share with you my mothers successful brainwashing of our taste buds! 

 

But in a nutshell....

 

She hates all things yogurt/sour cream/cottage cheese and buttermilk has that sour/tartness that one associates with yogurt - so naturally; I cannot even fathom consuming the stuff!

 

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taiwan Dan Tsu Noodles and Xiao Long Bao.  Perhaps now my favorite meal.......some type of Chinese noodle soup and soup dumplings.  Sort of like Soup/Soup over Noodles/Noodles.

 

 

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

For that I would have to lay down on a large comfortable day bed and share with you my mothers successful brainwashing of our taste buds! 

 

But in a nutshell....

 

She hates all things yogurt/sour cream/cottage cheese and buttermilk has that sour/tartness that one associates with yogurt - so naturally; I cannot even fathom consuming the stuff!

 

 

I completely get it, but have you ever had ranch dressing?  There is a definite 'tang'.  And I would certainly never actually drink buttermilk <shiver>.  But as an ingredient in baking and some salad dressings/remoulade, I don't think I really taste IT.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I completely get it, but have you ever had ranch dressing?  There is a definite 'tang'.  And I would certainly never actually drink buttermilk <shiver>.  But as an ingredient in baking and some salad dressings/remoulade, I don't think I really taste IT.

I have, though my guess is that it was mayo based and whatever tang was from an acid source (though I could easily be wrong!).  It's more of a mental blockade than anything else.  I am more than happy to substitute a bit of water and lemon juice to accomplish a very similar end result.

 

It's one of the reasons why I feed my kids everything and do not let any of my foibles impact them (too much... 😛)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuyu with (again) raspberry vinegar/heavy cream dressing, bit of purslane

 

393962804_photo1.thumb.JPG.d1e9eb6399e726965c849782d94e57d8.JPG

 

Another repeat, peppers with onions, sausage and potato...EVOO, garlic, basil, oregano, bay     Mash the potato (with skin) into the juice ->  major yum.

973766738_photo2.thumb.JPG.987ac3a8c469d4b2243de844e326471f.JPG

  • Like 7

eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...