• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

liuzhou

Dinner 2019

stir fried chicken, peppers, and shiitake mushrooms in a hoisin, garlic and ginger sauce

285903507_hoisinchicken.thumb.jpg.09d2e8a2fc1d4fe1ba82df5988217a6c.jpg

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

stir fried chicken, peppers, and shiitake mushrooms in a hoisin, garlic and ginger sauce

285903507_hoisinchicken.thumb.jpg.09d2e8a2fc1d4fe1ba82df5988217a6c.jpg

C

A big Yum!

• Like 1

Ordinary Tuna Casserole for me tonight.

One of my favorites.  Easy Peasy.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

Slow cooker pot roast with potatoes, celery, and carrots

77006274_1445693828918119_3933905845150023680_n.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

A couple of weeks ago we went to the big smoke and got Thai Takeaway. I refused to spend $33 on half a BBQ duck, ordered the duck stir fry for $24, picked the 4 pieces of duck breast out and left 90% of the noodles and veg. My sense of economy uh, tickled my husbands enfuriate bone 😅

Today I got home and he had (as part of project empty the freezer/prove a point) BBQd me a whole duck to 'pick'... which I started before I remembered to take a photo 😂

20191105_192321.thumb.jpg.d2598f05fd20417cceceeff7eacf87be.jpg

Whipped the kid up a quick noodly ducky vege thing. 

20191105_192245.thumb.jpg.c16c27aaf95e4c4566158dae556f0360.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 16

I just got this text from Jessica: "Mom, you need to make more of this dressing (Momofuku ranch).  I snagged some out of the fridge this morning to go on my lunch salad.  It is my new favorite thing."  😂  Another convert.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

I have Kewpie on my shopping list.  I haven't a clue where I can find pickled ramps though.

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have Kewpie on my shopping list.  I haven't a clue where I can find pickled ramps though.

I didn't find pickled ramps.  I used the cocktail onions and the greens of spring onions.  

29 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I just got this text from Jessica: "Mom, you need to make more of this dressing (Momofuku ranch).  I snagged some out of the fridge this morning to go on my lunch salad.  It is my new favorite thing."  😂  Another convert.

Perhaps I should start selling my pickled ramps!

:)

• Like 1

Damn. Reckon I'm going to have to try this stuff.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

36 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I didn't find pickled ramps.  I used the cocktail onions and the greens of spring onions.  

That works just fine!      To paraphrase a classic, "We don't need no stinkin' ramps."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

Dönerteller (commercial product 😉)

CEE3476F-3C40-4E3F-87D9-C781A4A6AD85.thumb.jpeg.7b6316cf89a0dc29d2fd3c1f9f06f1d6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Sweet pickled onions or sour ones?

I would suggest if you cannot locate ramps, pickled or not - to add a tiny bit of garlic to your dressing.  Being that a ramp is a wild cross between the garlic and onion family and certainly has garlic notes to it.

Still have a whack of ramps from Spring - perhaps I might give the dressing a go...though I do recall seeing buttermilk in it, which totally put me off!  But I suppose easily substituted. 

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

I would suggest if you cannot locate ramps, pickled or not - to add a tiny bit of garlic to your dressing.  Being that a ramp is a wild cross between the garlic and onion family and certainly has garlic notes to it.

Still have a whack of ramps from Spring - perhaps I might give the dressing a go...though I do recall seeing buttermilk in it, which totally put me off!  But I suppose easily substituted. 

Why does buttermilk as an ingredient put you off?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Why does buttermilk as an ingredient put you off?  

For that I would have to lay down on a large comfortable day bed and share with you my mothers successful brainwashing of our taste buds! 

But in a nutshell....

She hates all things yogurt/sour cream/cottage cheese and buttermilk has that sour/tartness that one associates with yogurt - so naturally; I cannot even fathom consuming the stuff!

• Haha 4

Taiwan Dan Tsu Noodles and Xiao Long Bao.  Perhaps now my favorite meal.......some type of Chinese noodle soup and soup dumplings.  Sort of like Soup/Soup over Noodles/Noodles.

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

For that I would have to lay down on a large comfortable day bed and share with you my mothers successful brainwashing of our taste buds! 

But in a nutshell....

She hates all things yogurt/sour cream/cottage cheese and buttermilk has that sour/tartness that one associates with yogurt - so naturally; I cannot even fathom consuming the stuff!

I completely get it, but have you ever had ranch dressing?  There is a definite 'tang'.  And I would certainly never actually drink buttermilk <shiver>.  But as an ingredient in baking and some salad dressings/remoulade, I don't think I really taste IT.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I completely get it, but have you ever had ranch dressing?  There is a definite 'tang'.  And I would certainly never actually drink buttermilk <shiver>.  But as an ingredient in baking and some salad dressings/remoulade, I don't think I really taste IT.

I have, though my guess is that it was mayo based and whatever tang was from an acid source (though I could easily be wrong!).  It's more of a mental blockade than anything else.  I am more than happy to substitute a bit of water and lemon juice to accomplish a very similar end result.

It's one of the reasons why I feed my kids everything and do not let any of my foibles impact them (too much... 😛)

• Like 2

Fuyu with (again) raspberry vinegar/heavy cream dressing, bit of purslane

393962804_photo1.thumb.JPG.d1e9eb6399e726965c849782d94e57d8.JPG

Another repeat, peppers with onions, sausage and potato...EVOO, garlic, basil, oregano, bay     Mash the potato (with skin) into the juice ->  major yum.

973766738_photo2.thumb.JPG.987ac3a8c469d4b2243de844e326471f.JPG

• Like 7

eGullet member #80.