• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Nicolai

haven't heard from you for some time.

I thought , maybe ,  w "" possible "

""""  restrictions """

you wer now

""" Skin and bones ""

glad to see

that might not be the case .

cheers

Thank you. I have a very happy Cardiologist  😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

It feels a bit like winter!!!  Maybe snow next week!  Happy Dance!!!!

Ronnie has been wanting ham and beans for a long time.  Yesterday was the perfect day to have them simmering on the stove.  Started them around 2:30.  Onions, jalapeños, carrots, celery.  

RG beans--two different kinds, one of which I can't remember the name and am looking for help. I looked at their website and I can't locate them.  They came in the latest bean club shipment --Here is a picture

thumbnail_IMG_6966.jpg.eb128d961b36cdd4c0aa9bce686166fd.jpg

My guess is Cranberry beans if it was something from the last bean club shipment.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

No pics because it really wasn't pic-worthy and because, for some reason, I was starving and didn't take time to take them. Hamburger steak and baked potato with butter and sour cream and chives.

A few weeks ago, I bought two packs of frozen "sirloin steakburgers" at Sam's for a cookout. I think there were 18 in a package. Wound up cooking only one package, so tonight, I pulled one out, pan-fried it, and nuked a potato in the microwave. A dash of A-1 and I was good to go.

Haute cuisine it was not, but it was tasty, and quick. No more than 15 minutes from start to finish, and if I'd been of a notion to microwave some frozen veggies as well, that wouldn't have take much longer. I can see keeping a package of these in the freezer all the time. They're 8-ounce patties, a big thicker than your normal burger patty.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

903EC326-4D00-47BF-8EC0-A1896397EEA3.thumb.jpeg.685fb60842b3107613721265fb828835.jpeg

Beef Stew on a slow simmer for Dinner tonight. Cooked the potatoes, carrots and onions in the Instant Pot (Manual, High Pressure, 6 minutes, Quick Release) with leftover gravy from last night, then added last night’s leftover chuck roast and green peas. 

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Guess I'll put this here....

I stopped at my favorite farmstand and while there were no zucchini pickles or zucchini relish or fresh lima beans there was strawberry jam.

I am loving the jam on toast with a smear of salted butter and a sprinkle of aged balsamic vinegar.

Just ate two slices.

Thank you Mrs. Rea.   I hope to see you for a chat next year...… hopefully it will be a good year for the zucchini and limas.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm back at home and I've not caught up on egullet yet, but this is last night's dinner. The star of the show was roasted stuffed acorn squash.IMG_2068_cropped.thumb.jpg.ea10894d5cb71fd7bff44f778c7a448e.jpg

IMG_2066_small.jpg.529ca26d5330eb63cebe2b51ed114b13.jpg

The squash stuffing was made of rice, shredded bread, pecans, fresh shitake, carmelized onion, shredded carrot, apple, golden raisins, currants, mushroom powder, paprika, cayenne, boiled apple cider (concentrate) and apple juice. Recipe here.

Accompanied by roast duck in the Romertopf at 400F for 90 minutes. While I was away I roasted duck in a plain casserole dish with some liquid; duck ended up quite chewy. Last night's erred at the other end, literally falling apart; I liked it much better.

IMG_2069_small.jpg.acb643b0eee5c63f61b8c003c4e269bd.jpg

Dessert was buttermilk biscuits (my first biscuits) with strawberries (the last from my farmers' market for this year 😟), whipped cream, and goat's milk butter pecan gelato. No photos, alas!

Edited by TdeV
Fidgeting (log)
  • Like 10

49 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

That's a great idea for a duck..in the Romertopf.

Okanagancook, that's because I got so, so tired of duck fat spraying all over the inside of the oven. I have two Romertopfs. This was a huge one one for a whole duck. The smaller one is just right for two duck legs (though, before I had the large pot, I've done 6).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dinner tonight included something for everyone:

Crostini with pumpkin hummus & olives (for my wife)

C35AD525-82FF-470F-905F-22791393F63B.thumb.jpeg.7398693d5eb5757b375c75677af932ff.jpeg

Pasta with aubergines, beef & fresh tomatoes (for the little one, who does not mind recycling)

5BC248A3-B041-4F7A-8DC5-D08902F1E279.thumb.jpeg.a28d6161ba072087e5a2fd995102f7c2.jpeg

Krautkrapfen (for my German foodspree, slightly modified by deep frying rather than braising/frying)

1B6C0B66-4D87-4F59-B902-7162AEB2B337.thumb.jpeg.36df387e494db6aaebf690b09a45eb68.jpeg

And as everyone got what he/she wanted ... no complaints 😉

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Sabor intenso! Raf tomatoes brought back from Sevilla.

qDtuPc2.jpg

8lIPsJy.jpg

Tomatoes, unfiltered olive oil and oregano brought back from Spain.

9aZ51Kw.jpg

My rucksack was 5kg on the way there, on the way back 11.5. Here are some of the things that made it heavy.

ZbVJkm9.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1