• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Every once in a while I have to go over the top with something. It is a Scotch Egg inside a layer of grated potatoes which is fried until the potatoes are browned then baked until the sausage is done.

20191011_162951.jpg

20191011_163431.jpg

Where is the WOW button!!!  This looks amazing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

David does a great French version I keep on deck  https://www.davidlebovitz.com/carottes-rapee/

Thanks for this.    Under the caption of "fools rush in", this is exactly what we did.    As David suggested, husband took a preliminary taste and requested another splash of lemon juice and we were good to go.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Well, I didn't make the noodles, but bought them from my local handpulled noodle restaurant. They don't advertise them, but you can just buy the noodles to cook at home if you are in the know. I eat there quite often and they know me well. However, there is a ton of information on the internet on how they are made, including videos on YouTube.

I marinated sliced pork tenderloin in Shaoxing wine. Boiled the noodles for one minute, then drained them. Finely chopped garlic and ginger and stir fried that until fragrant. Added the pork and fried that, reserving the marinade. Added thinly sliced carrot, then the drained noodles. Continued stir frying, added chopped yellow galic chives, then the marinade and a splash of soy sauce. Served. Sorry, no quantities. I wing it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I love how everybody wanted my FROG jam to be some hillbilly atrocity. 🤣

@Norm Matthews – I’m joining the Scotch Egg lovefest!  I am still full from a lovely dinner out, but I’d eat a LOT of that!

@suzilightning – why don’t you want Joe?  I never don’t want Sloppy Joes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

What a disappointing answer. I was hoping for something more batrachian. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/21/world/what-in-the-world/for-this-green-smoothie-the-first-ingredient-is-frog.html

I shared this recipe with a Bolivian friend.  She said if she ever returns to Bolivia to live she will never eat outside her home.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

There's a joke in our family about a very finicky eater who was shown a can of Underwood's Develed Ham     The label was torn in such a way that one ingredient, hog's lips (which she probably would have objected to anyway) looked like "frog's lips".   Needless to say she went ballistic.     

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

1417812177_Paprikacsirket2.thumb.jpg.968fbab99a25a3bf47e67ce57f83c766.jpg

102006366_Paprikacsirket1.thumb.jpg.0a087cadc93fcf34f280da3abad8b463.jpg

When I saw this recipe, hungarian dish called paprika csirke, I knew I had to prepare it... It took me a while, but I finally made it and loved it. Tastes even better than it looks. :D It takes some effort and is a bit finnicky, so I trebled the quantities, and froze the better part of it before finishing the dish. :B

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

There's a joke in our family about a very finicky eater who was shown a can of Underwood's Develed Ham     The label was torn in such a way that one ingredient, hog's lips (which she probably would have objected to anyway) looked like "frog's lips".   Needless to say she went ballistic.     

and that is any worse than hog lips! At least chnace of transforming to a prince!  That is a classic can label though - the paper one?  Image result for underwood deviled ham image

• Like 2

It's Friday which is Japanese dinner day.

There seem to be a new movement of Chefs who are hell bent in changing tried and tested recipes of any cuisine in the world.

We stumbled on one of those Japanese Chefs and the results were dire.

- Starters

1- Edamame grilled with Sea salt/ Kimchi (Don't comment about the Kimchi)

jFKfvZf.jpg

2- Cucumber +Chilli  home made pickles

Ikwebfo.jpg

3- Melon and Kimchi pickles (don't ask)

rhbypp7.jpg

4- Daikon and  yuzu pickles

R5RKKWm.jpg

- Mains

5- Angus Beef Black Pepper Teriaki

X2CHKpv.jpg

6- Chicken Thigh Teriyaki

XZpcfWQ.jpg

7- Chicken Rice ( I know, I know it is a Malaysian dish)

Fb7EMjd.jpg

8- Angus Beef Claypot Rice (the rice was left as the beef was gobbled)

8Z8pXus.jpg

9- Mushrooms Claypot Rice

zOdMGeq.jpg

- Dessert

10- Molten Cake Peanut butter praline + salted cashew

bDjIn5E.jpg

11- Taiyaki with Soft served ice cream (complete rubbish)

7ziSLAZ.jpg

12- Creme Castella Pudding  with Matcha soft served  ice cream

PeWJ9MP.jpg

Japanese food, it was not, but more of whatever they call Fusion food an it costed an arm and a leg.

I enjoyed the Chicken Rice which is one of my preferred Malay/Singapore dishes and has nothing to do with Japan.

The dessert simply show that Japan has still a long way to go and should stick to Ramen Sushi and red bean thingies.

Next stop is a restaurant serving Kobe beef with the owner devoid of any cooking knowledge but is the wife of the main Kobe Beef importer, So I guess this qualifies her to start a Kobe Beef restaurant. Good thing I received my renewed Platinum Credit Card last week.

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

The hubby and I managed to ditch the child for a night and headed off to Niagara on the Lake for one night in a posh hotel. Imagine our delight when they had upgraded us to what they were calling a presidential suite. I feel spoiled.

Decided to eat In their restaurant which gets excellent reviews.

IMG_8335.thumb.jpg.445e2208eb8ee351eacc7d2b1dd4ae51.jpg

A 'black lager' for the hubby - tasted like a chocolate stout.

IMG_8336.thumb.jpg.199ee69d695d51b92f507e96d4fda965.jpg

Negroni for me.

IMG_8337.thumb.jpg.6fb5d65e112000974662ea6ab9086242.jpg

Amuse was a bit of spicy hummus with a crunchy crouton.

IMG_8341.thumb.jpg.5e3ea44b5c0a92733e3efba7c72b05ff.jpg

Of course bread.

IMG_8338.thumb.jpg.cfef1e7c7b0b06faac899d28f8b6deaf.jpg

IMG_8339.thumb.jpg.e50b4c7a92e6d7da9e34ffde172e800e.jpg

Crab cakes for hubby and prawns with cocktail sauce for me.

IMG_8343.thumb.jpg.edc3de266a9c565b61f260ef4bd5c896.jpg

Almost ready for next course.

IMG_8344.thumb.jpg.a6e52699472f54c74a7e6f31d59c5ec7.jpg

Tenderloin for hubby.

IMG_8345.thumb.jpg.7f2b7e09a8216393bfe531e98a28e75c.jpg

Can you get more classic than prime rib - it was stellar! And stopped just in time and had them bring me a doggie bag so there would be room for dessert.

IMG_8347.thumb.jpg.d4cd7d2092d3f510ea8d16b73e7539bd.jpg

IMG_8346.thumb.jpg.f158f17adea58c8e621bddfefd24a4a0.jpg

Cab sauv for hubby and cab merlot for me.

IMG_8349.thumb.jpg.383eed2d7d3e954a4e0571fbae1c0cfe.jpg

Hubby chose the cherry-chocolate dessert.

IMG_8351.thumb.jpg.6befec2ce047c3d764061eedf087a7a6.jpg

Boozy bailey's creme Brulee for me.

IMG_8315.thumb.jpg.962278f891b6325e373db661c39fac9a.jpg

IMG_8316.thumb.jpg.c8a1fbcd57fbab77851f0bd5eb81bf72.jpg

IMG_8322.thumb.jpg.8ab8bba7f20313dd813fcbc59cf4db48.jpg

IMG_8334.thumb.jpg.c6c7f89616f3b88a17d72bd5cb8387a7.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

12 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

The hubby and I managed to ditch the child for a night and headed off to Niagara on the Lake for one night in a posh hotel. Imagine our delight when they had upgraded us to what they were calling a presidential suite. I feel spoiled.

Enjoy every minute. I can’t think of anyone who is more deserving of a break than you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog