Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

Pizza.

 

Pizza10032019.png

 

 

Ninety second pizza.  Top is great, bottom is burnt.  Burnt in ninety seconds.  Wish I could get this right.

 

Raging heat would have seared hair from my arms.  But I have no hair on my arms.  Heat did raise bloody welts.  Pictures on request.  Dropping the four foot floured peel on the floor did not entirely help.

 

  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I go hiking every day and only have energy to drink beer by the time I get back. There are 4 restaurants in the village and 3 are open from Fri-Sun (Sun for lunch only). Yesterday none was open. My dinner looks like this on most days.

 

Jamón Ibérico and hard sheep's cheese bought in Jabugo

CpZhMsi.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bastardized kuku sabzi. Blended the herbs to make the texture less rustic, added kashkaval cheese. I intended to include the walnuts within, but forgot, so they went on top.

Baked sweet potato, with tahini paste, pumpkin seeds and mint (added after the picture was taken). We had a guest who doesn't like tahini, so subbed cream on one of them.

Roasted spiced cauliflower, with tomatoes, parsley, mint. Lemony tahini sauce on the side.

Chopped salad.

 

 

IMG_20190906_205419.jpg

IMG_20190906_205444.jpg

IMG_20190906_205706.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 5

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@shainloooove it! Which herbs did you put in the Kuku? Ah, ah, I also have in the repertoire an Ottolenghi eggplant kuku, which I renamed bastardized Italian kuku 🤣

 

@BonVivant I don’t feel pity for you no finding a restaurant open 😙 😋

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Franci said:

@shainloooove it! Which herbs did you put in the Kuku? Ah, ah, I also have in the repertoire an Ottolenghi eggplant kuku, with I renamed bastardized Italian kuku 🤣

 

 

Thanks :) Kuku with eggplant sound great. I used mostly dill and parsley, some tarragon and spring onion greens. Skipped the cilantro, because I wasn't sure if it will be well received. There's also dried cranberries, turmeric and pepper.

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, shain said:

 

Thanks :) Kuku with eggplant sound great. I used mostly dill and parsley, some tarragon and spring onion greens. Skipped the cilantro, because I wasn't sure if it will be well received. There's also dried cranberries, turmeric and pepper.

 

 

Sound great. Tarragon is hard around here...I’ll try a mini version to see how it goes. I have a pool party for Wednesday and things like this are ideal. I could also try a “Greek” version with zucchini, mint and dill, plus feta. Thanks for the inspiration. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ran across a recipe that looked interesting so last time I was at the store I grabbed a head of cauliflower---the recipe is a curry cauliflower and egg salad.  You roast the cauliflower and some onion with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and curry for about 20 minutes.  Then mix in mayo, chopped hard boiled egg, capers and black pepper.  Sprinkled with parsley for some color.  I liked this.  Kind of like a potato salad .....the roasted cauliflower with curry is interesting.  Ronnie liked it too, which surprised me a bit.  He's not a huge curry fan.

thumbnail_IMG_6882.jpg.29f80a6bad1b6d54eb05b383683170fe.jpg

Anyway, venison burgers on the grill with the usual sides to go with.  It was a wonderfully chilly night...should have had soup, but the tomatoes were calling.

 

thumbnail_IMG_6883.jpg.b1d7cd3b38f6db6d6f644b9e565987c1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6885.jpg.c70d7aaf79d752018d6060cc2fde2185.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6888.jpg.ccbe24c6555a774dfb56d09ff01ba097.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6887.jpg.d71e968b4dd69a7716985630917c2cf1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6889.jpg.2a578bbdba6f61369e3a989f82cb5edf.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6890.jpg.1432c38692bfa93133cd2ab70dfdd54e.jpg

 

  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I ran across a recipe that looked interesting so last time I was at the store I grabbed a head of cauliflower---the recipe is a curry cauliflower and egg salad.  You roast the cauliflower and some onion with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and curry for about 20 minutes.  Then mix in mayo, chopped hard boiled egg, capers and black pepper.  Sprinkled with parsley for some color.  I liked this.  Kind of like a potato salad .....the roasted cauliflower with curry is interesting.  Ronnie liked it too, which surprised me a bit.  He's not a huge curry fan.

 

Anyway, venison burgers on the grill with the usual sides to go with.  It was a wonderfully chilly night...should have had soup, but the tomatoes were calling.

 

 

 

 

thumbnail_IMG_6887.jpg.d71e968b4dd69a7716985630917c2cf1.jpg

 

 

 

Epic burger! 

 

Not sure I could open up wide enough to tackle that bad boy!!!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TicTac said:

 

Epic burger! 

 

Not sure I could open up wide enough to tackle that bad boy!!!

 

 

That was Ronnie's---he smashed it down right after the picture.  Looked like a truck ran over it.

  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Pizza.

 

Pizza10032019.png

 

 

Ninety second pizza.  Top is great, bottom is burnt.  Burnt in ninety seconds.  Wish I could get this right.

 

Raging heat would have seared hair from my arms.  But I have no hair on my arms.  Heat did raise bloody welts.  Pictures on request.  Dropping the four foot floured peel on the floor did not entirely help.

 

 

Request !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Pizza.

Ninety second pizza.  Top is great, bottom is burnt.  Burnt in ninety seconds.  Wish I could get this right.

 

 

The bottom might be burnt, but the top looks delicious!

 

Last night, clean out the fridge BLT pasta

 

273620282_bltpasta.thumb.jpg.236f32b3dfca331a65b6dc673a85546c.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Pizza.

 

Pizza10032019.png

 

 

Ninety second pizza.  Top is great, bottom is burnt.  Burnt in ninety seconds.  Wish I could get this right.

 

Raging heat would have seared hair from my arms.  But I have no hair on my arms.  Heat did raise bloody welts.  Pictures on request.  Dropping the four foot floured peel on the floor did not entirely help.

 

 

Certainly looks great.  I am partial to mushrooms.  What are you baking your pizzas in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw a box of corn flake crumbs on a shelf at the store and it brought back memories of when I was single. I often made a James Beard recipe for oven "fried" chicken. It dipped chicken in evaporated milk then rolled it in corn flake crumbs and baked.  I thought I'd try it again and followed the recipe on the box that made a batter first, then added the corn flake crumbs.  Almost a year ago Charlie got a lot of mac and cheese at Costco and we are finally down to the last box. The green beans were cooked for about a minute in the Instant Pot. 

20191004_163132.jpg

20191004_164910.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I saw a box of corn flake crumbs on a shelf at the store and it brought back memories of when I was single. I often made a James Beard recipe for oven "fried" chicken. It dipped chicken in evaporated milk then rolled it in corn flake crumbs and baked.  I thought I'd try it again and followed the recipe on the box that made a batter first, then added the corn flake crumbs.  Almost a year ago Charlie got a lot of mac and cheese at Costco and we are finally down to the last box. The green beans were cooked for about a minute in the Instant Pot. 

 

Norm - that is very classic. There a rom-com (romantic comedy -( a fave of Mrs Obama) where the chef crushes ice cream cones for a sort of waffle taste in the same sort of application :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

 

Certainly looks great.  I am partial to mushrooms.  What are you baking your pizzas in?

 

Thank you.  In my apartment standard issue electric oven;  550F, preheated for about an hour.  On a 12 inch by 12 inch by 1 inch slab of aluminum.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, heidih said:

 

Norm - that is very classic. There a rom-com (romantic comedy -( a fave of Mrs Obama) where the chef crushes ice cream cones for a sort of waffle taste in the same sort of application :)

 

 

Now that you mention it, I recall using Ritz cracker crumbs or something similar a couple of times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

 

Now that you mention it, I recall using Ritz cracker crumbs or something similar a couple of times.

 

I have nobody to fry for so if you try do report ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...