Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Recommended Posts

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs, served with broccoli made in the IP.

 

blasphemy-ribs-plated8.jpg.561f1b1acbd3cfa3faaa99ce49876265.jpg

 

blasphemy-ribs-close8.jpg.9115fd0abe2e1a9d9c720c1f8a45633c.jpg

 

 

  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs, served with broccoli made in the IP.

 I have finally figured out the real reason for their name. The blasphemous expressions  that come out of my mouth when I see the photos of your ribs would definitely get me excommunicated from any religious affiliation I might claim—even satanism. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 6:56 PM, chefmd said:

Roasted monkfish and Brussels sprouts.  Cooked in CSO.

9E20549F-F7EF-408F-BA61-E1EBD2A5F0B2.thumb.jpeg.a3a696edc1650673c74b34858c3d8035.jpeg

Can I get the method for your sprouts, please?  That is exactly how I'd like mine to turn out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Can I get the method for your sprouts, please?  That is exactly how I'd like mine to turn out!

450 degrees steam bake 30 minutes.  Need to watch closely in the last 5 minutes.  Make extra, they re heat in microwave beautifully.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dinner tonight was shrimp burgers, baked sweet potatoes and CSO Brussels sprouts.  Accoutrement necessary for me to ingest baked sweet potatoes:

DSCN9047.thumb.JPG.f55feda01b344ea1ca35ea85c664bffa.JPG

 😊

 

Cook’s Country Shrimp burgers:

DSCN9049.JPG.e278dcd5243c44cfb9ecae13a08779e2.JPG

 

Nice little sauce for the shrimp burgers:

DSCN9048.JPG.fbb901777efe2adc3e66dc4e8d07abd8.JPG

Just chili sauce, creamy horseradish and relish.

 

Plated:

DSCN9050.JPG.866f9ffd43e16c32742e58277ea54ef4.JPG

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steak salad with a spicy cilantro dressing.

 

IMG_8570.thumb.jpg.0d2a0e8403aa6f3a3e08ef812865aab9.jpg

 

Close-up

IMG_8565.thumb.jpg.4918e88c62d45bb4e607a45359a11f6e.jpg

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pizza and Bread Bake Night.

Dough was hand-mixed yesterday and given a 24 hour cold fermentation. 1000g batch at 75% hydration. Took the dough out of the fridge around 2:30 PM and left it to come to room temperature.

Used half in the two pizzas and the other half for a large round baked in a Dutch Oven.

1318886779_ItalianSausageandMushroomPizzaJanuary8th20191.thumb.jpg.871981e12883a8ac118f2d6bbc43cb0e.jpg

1660555427_ItalianSausageandMushroomPizzaRimJanuary8th20191.thumb.jpg.9752cbf3be493a5134e980e2852bd62d.jpg

Italian sausage and mushroom for Moe and I

 

642665676_GreekPotatoPizzaJanuary8th2019.thumb.jpg.b4b91bb2f0fd125505b82d73d264d66d.jpg

1880994221_GreekPizzaRimJanuary8th20191.thumb.jpg.58deb81cdfa753281db6a3b52d084d12.jpg

 

and a Greek Potato pizza for Matt

124332245_DORoundJanuary8th20191.thumb.jpg.b7ce80edda4c0805ae71620bc936f862.jpg

 

  • Like 20
  • Delicious 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I too always rinse and dry the Zeroodles.  What does stir frying do for them?  Does it somehow make the sauce cling to them better? That is my only beef with them  - sauce does not stick to them.

Don't know what the "chemistry" of stir-frying is to stir-frying the Zeroodles. but I think the sauce DID cling to the pasta better. Maybe it's because it was Alfredo sauce. I'll have to try with a tomato-based one next time.

Watching a brand-name paper towel ad on TV made me crave wontons, but we're trying to reduce carb intake. Last night, I made up the filling with ground pork, shrimp, and water chestnuts, and stuffed deep-fried tofu and bell pepper.  These were pan-fried then steamed with chicken stock and oyster sauce. Added baby gai lan for the veg. Made Zeroodle fried rice, and all filled the craving.

                                                            257811965_StuffedTofuandPeppers8184.jpg.dac6edc19028424698457de5895acbfe.jpg

 

                                                            2118749361_ZeroodlesFriedRice8186.jpg.c827c0bcb8f6a78bc757c7f82d0d77d4.jpg

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll probably skip dinner tonight... I sort of get full from aroma when I cook- and tonight I have a date with 5lb of oxtails I intend to make into oxtail ragu (I had to splurge... cost me $9.50 the lot). Yesterday I prepared 5lb of tomato sauce, portioned off some to the freezer, and I'm about to start with ragu- wish me luck (I'm starting rather late). :$

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Wolf said:

I'll probably skip dinner tonight... I sort of get full from aroma when I cook- and tonight I have a date with 5lb of oxtails I intend to make into oxtail ragu.

FINALLY...someone who understands how I feel as well.  If I have some serious cooking to do I make sure I stop for a cup of soup or a little something because once I start working with product between handling and smelling what I am cooking my brain tells me I already have eaten.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

73302291-9ED3-403C-A467-B9E5A09FEAE0.thumb.jpeg.7b34580ae63f89a19f66c31903056803.jpeg

 

Osso Buco with Sautéed Spinach

 

  • Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had beige for dinner. Mushroom soup and cheese quesadillas.

 

IMG_8599.thumb.jpg.6c29a13055a9d6eafbf92545ef75eae5.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, for the eGullet picnic (we really need to have one), I nominate @HungryChris to make the sandwiches and @Ann_T to make the pizzas. 

 

@Wolf – hope we get to see a picture of the finished dish.  Sounds wonderful.

 

@robirdstx – lovely plating job.  That osso bucco looks so good and the spinach is perfect!

 

@chord – I do that all the time.  I’ll put the plates on the table and Mr. Kim will say, “Ah, we’re having beige”. 

 

Sweet and Sour Pork over rice with sautéed snow peas (with a little ponzu sauce to steam them to tenderness):

DSCN9051.JPG.f51bdd04aca1d9f9a7fb310497f2a487.JPG

The pork for the sweet and sour was done sous vide.  Not sure that it really made much of a difference to the final dish.  Also, none of those green peppers graced my plate.


Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally some success making carrot noodles in the spiralizer! Per video, I boiled these for 4 minutes, not bad, but I'd rather have the Zeroodle noodles and rice.

Made Coconut Curry Chicken in the Instant Pot to go with the carrot noodles. I am so happy that I have fresh Kaffir Limes leaves on hand at all times - from my own tree!

                                          1901751592_CarrotNoodles8187.jpg.97250c531b0bcab6e847196bdb0d7016.jpg

 

                                           596100695_CoconutCurryChicken8188.jpg.06ccdda0da5c853634e4785bb0e903ea.jpg

                        

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

two small cocktail pumpernickel bread squares with some miracle whip and a piece of turkey split between them. even that little bit was …...Meh...…...I tasted some of the pepper relish I have and......nothing.  even the cucumber, lime and mint drink I use at full strength I can barely taste it.  I can't wait until my sense of smell/taste comes back because I have no desire to bother eating.....

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

en4e1Xh.jpg?1

 

Two soups with my Instant Pot chicken stock.  On the left, creamless cream of cauliflower + roasted cauliflower, with saffron and espelette. Creaminess provided by rice cooked along, and then blended.

 

On the right, a pretty classic chicken soup. I used a small pasta in there; next time, it would have to be egg noodles a la my bubbe.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday night I made haddock with lemon herb butter sauce, roasted green beans and rice

 

cod.thumb.jpg.02020879c0cd82a0b3b7973c42acffff.jpg

 

 

Last night we had the rest of the haddock in a fish reuben sandwich (using cole slaw instead of sauerkraut)

 

966233285_fishreuben.thumb.jpg.2886f221047435691be618131a31ffd1.jpg

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, suzilightning said:

FINALLY...someone who understands how I feel as well.  If I have some serious cooking to do I make sure I stop for a cup of soup or a little something because once I start working with product between handling and smelling what I am cooking my brain tells me I already have eaten.

 

For me it's less a feeling of "I've already eaten" than one of "I'm going to want something to eat eventually, but *not* what I've smelled for the last several hours while I prepped it."

Back in December I made the staff Christmas meal for the supermarket where I teach cooking classes (and may I say, parenthetically, that prepping a lavish holiday meal for 150-170 people on the morning of, with no advance prep possible, no assistants and a rigid 5 hour time budget, is a non-trivial exercise even for a professional?) and they were all quite surprised when I was reluctant to join them at the end. I had a small serving of broccoli salad, and made the excuse that we were eating with family soon after...

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chromedome said:

 

For me it's less a feeling of "I've already eaten" than one of "I'm going to want something to eat eventually, but *not* what I've smelled for the last several hours while I prepped it."

Back in December I made the staff Christmas meal for the supermarket where I teach cooking classes (and may I say, parenthetically, that prepping a lavish holiday meal for 150-170 people on the morning of, with no advance prep possible, no assistants and a rigid 5 hour time budget, is a non-trivial exercise even for a professional?) and they were all quite surprised when I was reluctant to join them at the end. I had a small serving of broccoli salad, and made the excuse that we were eating with family soon after...

 

That is how I often feel with something that took some to prepare.  Like last night's dinner.   By the time the lasagna was out of the oven, it was the last thing

I wanted to eat.   Of course it  didn't  help that it was a vegetarian lasagna.  

 

I had been promising my "vegetarian" son a vegetarian lasagna all week.  

Finally got around to it yesterday.

1933260240_ZucchiniLasagnaJanuary9th2019.thumb.jpg.049d5a01fae5365020cb07927859113b.jpg

 

Zucchini lasagna.  

2033891115_ZucchiniLasagnaJanuary9th20191.thumb.jpg.b709ed3e0fe3ed315ae51d8f4f94205f.jpg

Sometimes I make it with just layers of zucchini. Yesterdays had both zucchini and pasta layers. 

  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

มัสมั่น

1127312438_massamanprawns.thumb.jpg.9f5889681211736cd526d836d4c9000d.jpg

 

Thai Massaman Prawn Curry.

 

Wild prawns, potato, peanuts, massaman curry paste, coconut cream, garlic, garlic chives. Massaman is normally a mild curry, but my mild and theirs is different so I added extra chilli. Served with rice and flying fish roe.

 

  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, weinoo said:

 

Two soups with my Instant Pot chicken stock.  On the left, creamless cream of cauliflower + roasted cauliflower, with saffron and espelette. Creaminess provided by rice cooked along, and then blended.

 

On the right, a pretty classic chicken soup. I used a small pasta in there; next time, it would have to be egg noodles a la my bubbe.

 

 

I enjoy the combo of the simmered  vegetable like broccholi or caulifower along with the roasted bits in a soup. It i3s cold. Off to "soup"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, weinoo said:

en4e1Xh.jpg?1

 

Two soups with my Instant Pot chicken stock.  On the left, creamless cream of cauliflower + roasted cauliflower, with saffron and espelette. Creaminess provided by rice cooked along, and then blended.

 

On the right, a pretty classic chicken soup. I used a small pasta in there; next time, it would have to be egg noodles a la my bubbe.

 

Saffron and espelette could save even cauliflower.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×