• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Shake N Bake pork chops, cooked in the BSOA on air fry mode, served with green beans in butter and accompanied by a glass of "Caboose" - a Livermore Valley Zin from 2006.  The Zin was from Livermore Valley Cellars, which, at the time, was one of the oldest wineries in the valley and now sadly gone.  Caboose was one of the "Big Ass Zin" series.  The first was called Big Ass Zin and the name snuck by the Alcoholic Beverage Control board the first year it was released, but they refused to approve it a second time.  (Names that refer to potency are not allowed.)  So in subsequent years they had fun with euphemisms like Caboose, Triple Cheek, Right Behind, Left Behind, Way Behind, Crack of Dawn, etc.

shakenbake2.jpg.ff6b1ec3c8426a10ef35aef044d11ff4.jpg 

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 16
  • Haha 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@mgaretz

Thanks for sharing the wine naming story. I had also forgotten how good Shake ‘n’ Bake pork chops can be. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Curried goat .

This took hours to make. First I had to make the yoghurt. This was water buffalo yoghurt. Then I took the the diced goat meat and marinated it for four hours in afore-mentioned yoghurt with curry spices, garlic ginger and chilli. Then slow cooked it all for another three hours. Added spinach for the last 5 minutes and served with rice.

goat.thumb.jpg.8c70f308d9f2b545a5a2f47faeb1aaf5.jpg

• Like 20
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Leftover roast beef, sauteed onions and mushrooms, over mashed potatoes. It started out to be beef stroganoff, but I decided to separate it and will use part of what I saved for stroganoff later.

1606658597_roastbeef.png.bc0c5ec1692437d904bbe2dee65a5afe.png

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

bison ragu turned into lasagna for the rest of this week for me.(johnnybird has been ice climbing and visiting friends).  salad and some simple open face tuna salad on mini rye. I really do prefer to eat this way - 1/2 cup of soup with some croutons, a little salad, some soup...

oh, yeah,  for whatever reason I was craving Buffalo wings(went up to Buffalo at least 4 times a year from college).  Precooked chicken breast strips on sale with a coupon,.  Made Buffalo sauce and really tasty blue cheese dressing.  Small tortillas and voila … dinner with a small side salad.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, suzilightning said:

bison ragu turned into lasagna for the rest of this week for me.(johnnybird has been ice climbing and visiting friends).  salad and some simple open face tuna salad on mini rye. I really do prefer to eat this way - 1/2 cup of soup with some croutons, a little salad, some soup...

oh, yeah,  for whatever reason I was craving Buffalo wings(went up to Buffalo at least 4 times a year from college).  Precooked chicken breast strips on sale with a coupon,.  Made Buffalo sauce and really tasty blue cheese dressing.  Small tortillas and voila … dinner with a small side salad.

the lasagna tastes like …….NOTHING...…   

maybe I am still dealing with stuff from my bronchitis? 

no problem with the blue cheese but the chicken was neutral.   

maybe a problem with protein as the soup was fine and flavorful.....

• Confused 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Sometimes of necessity it must be simple. 

F8E3571B-5C54-41C5-A906-3A7CC04BDAB2.thumb.jpeg.ba54b3ea834a082cfef2d41513df51e1.jpeg

Chicken thighs done in the CSO with a side of slow cooked onions and peppers. 

• Like 18
  • Delicious 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Finally tried out the Anova I got for Christmas!
Walmart had chickens on @$1.77 lb. Picked up 5,  broke them down, and going  by googled recipes, bagged up 4 "sets".
Tonight, I did sous vide Iberian Chicken legs.

It was simple! Hooray! The legs were marinated with olive oil, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper overnight in a vacuum sealed bag.

Into a 145F bath for 2 hours, then tossed onto a pan, juice and all, with cooked "potatoes" which were turnips,  diced raw bell peppers and chunks of onion.
This went under the broiler @450F for 15 minutes.

Lovely. Will do again!
Eaten with the pan vegetables, and spinach salad with blueberries and hemp hearts. I think this may fit with the new Canada Food Guide?

1642518472_SVIberianChickenLegs8302.jpg.e9dfa9a90f74f4ef29d7372a81d0d805.jpg            

1910490836_SVChickenPlated8305.jpg.1e37ecbb3529f38d801d0b0929aace03.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Sometimes of necessity it must be simple. 

F8E3571B-5C54-41C5-A906-3A7CC04BDAB2.thumb.jpeg.ba54b3ea834a082cfef2d41513df51e1.jpeg

Chicken thighs done in the CSO with a side of slow cooked onions and peppers. 

One can do far worse.

My dinner is CSO reheated leftover chicken cacciatore.  No lack of Boursin and bread.  Indeed last night I was showing my dear boss pictures of my latest loaves and complaining that they stale faster than I can eat them.  She asked if I fed them to the birds?  "No," I said, "I feed them to Susan."  Susan who was standing a couple feet away.  Susan has two growing teenagers.  Half a kg boule does not last the night.

• Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Lovely meals everyone, you’re giving me inspiration. 

So hot here, couldn’t face the stove. So, the night before last we had salad. One is potato with egg, one like an ensalata mixta. It had tuna, white asparagus, spring onions, homegrown black olives, gem lettuce and an apple cider vinaigrette.  Served with a slice of olive sourdough for the vinaigrette.

E6880979-F622-4DA8-BFCF-31DBA482A4DE.thumb.jpeg.10d77e91f01fc8ce1ff5501ba67cfe78.jpeg

Last night, reverting to form, was thali # 312. Cauliflower with peas from a favourite, Meena Pathak, tomato curry from Meera Sodha, dal, rice, paratha, and finely chopped potato salad, with a plop of mango pickle.

606D8465-A289-4A27-95D5-6723633F2E46.thumb.jpeg.11b428ec16ee2388f5bfccd5dbb513d6.jpeg

• Like 21

@liamsaunt

I keep putting one of these gorgeous boxes into my shopping cart and then taking it out again!   Yours looks lovely  as does the food within it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@liamsaunt  I keep forgetting  abbouyt miso with salmon. Thamks! I eat alot of salmon - frozen wild caught. My Alaska salmon connection moved away...That was some magical fish. Ya know fished  as the bear was about to snag him. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 6:09 PM, Norm Matthews said:

Our dinner tonight was beef enchiladas, potato nachos and peach cobbler.  The potato nachos is one of those recipes that you have to decide if you want to make it again and if so, what changes need to be made.

Sorry to be so late @Norm Matthews, but I've been out of town. Here's the original post.

How did you make these potato nachos?

Had a craving for Ho Fun, but rice noodles are high on carbs.
Tried with Zeroodles Fettucinni. I left them to drain well, blotted as dry as I could, then dry fried them in the wok before adding oyster sauce.
VOILA! They turned out great! The oyster sauce stuck to the noodles, and they had the perfect texture.

Tossed together with stir-fried beef, beansprouts, ginger, and green onion. Eaten with a big dollop of Old Mother chili paste with nuts.

1704464149_ZeroodleHoFun8308.jpg.33378113200e8b01aed53042044e03c1.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

D3AAD3F4-4A53-441D-864A-3CB2B496ED39.thumb.jpeg.e9958500b02b4b57919a73fb9ad0e18f.jpeg

Braised pork belly with cabbage and egg accompanied by a small bowl of rice.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@TdeV

Here is the recipe

Potato skin nachos

4 SMALL RUSSET POTATOES WASHED (1 POUND TOTAL)
OLIVE OIL 
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
6-8 OUNCES COLBY JACK CHEESE SHREDDED
1 15-OUNCE CAN Black Beans, 
 DRAINED
8-10 STRIPS THIN SLICED BACON CHOPPED AND COOKED UNTIL CRISPY
1/3 CUP PICKLED JALAPEÑO RINGS 
1/3 CUP RED ONION FINELY DICED
1-2 ROMA TOMATOES DICED
CHOPPED CILANTRO TO TASTE
1/2 CUP SOUR CREAM OR MEXICAN CREMA

The potatoes were cooked (in a microwave) to fork tender, then cooled enough to handle; cut in nacho size wedges. 
 Preheat oven to 400ºF.
First cook potatoes to fork tender (in microwave).  when cooled enough to handle, cut into wedges.. about 4 per potato if small. Cut into smaller wedges if potatoes are larger.Scoop out the meat, leaving enough so you can move them without breaking.

they were then transfered to a baking pan, basted with oil and baked until browned and a somewhat crispy.  Then they were layered (about 3 layers) with cheese, beans, bacon and jalapenos and baked again until the cheese was all  melted.  Before serving, topped with onion, tomato, cilantro and sour cream.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1