• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

42 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@robirdstx How many people would your goose serve for dinner? Remember what the bird weighed?

Can’t say how many our goose would have served, but I have been surprised at the amount of meat this bird has given us. The bird weighed about 10 1/2 pounds. The first meal was the legs for two. I did not finish my portion. The second meal was a half breast shared with the two of us, with a bit leftover that I had for breakfast the next day. When I pulled the rest of the meat together, I had just under a pound. Four ounces were used for the goose and noodles soup. Two cups were used in tonight’s pot pie, which made 8 servings, and most of the other half of the breast has gone into the freezer for a future use, along with some of the skin to make cracklins. The goose also gave us lots of fat and stock. Three cups of fat and a quart of stock have been added to the freezer, along with the carcass to make more stock when needed. A very generous goose!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Tonight's pizza.

Vegetarian for Matt.

I made enough dough for two pizzas but neither Moe or I wanted pizza so we had halibut instead. 

Only here can people have halibut a a default to home made pizza - love it!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Only here can people have halibut a a default to home made pizza - love it!

1384128269_HalibutroastedpotatoesDecember30th2019.thumb.jpg.68afd3da186effdf814957195864edc1.jpg

Parmesan crusted halibut.  

613904806_HalibutroastedpotatoesDecember30th20191.thumb.jpg.8c08430fabbf5ef70ac39a197a87564b.jpg

Local halibut season is closed until around March.  Usually I can only buy frozen at this time of year.

But they have been bringing in fresh Norwegian halibut.  

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

28 minutes ago, lindag said:

what kind of meat did you use?

This time I used a boneless chuck roast, but I have also used tri-tip, top round and even sirloin.  Chuck comes out the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

846082710_LobsterandDungenessCrabDecember31st20194.thumb.jpg.72ea7319a3c2c2181327fce3d56b364b.jpg

It has been our tradition for over 40 years to have lobster and champagne on New Year's Eve.

After we moved to the West Coast we continued the tradition. One of the local markets flies in lobsters from Canada's east coast. Occasionally we would switch to local Dungeness crab.

868386300_LobsterandDungenessCrabDecember31st20192.thumb.jpg.c02d4ac622c95c17f48196819aba3376.jpg

This year I couldn't decided which to have. So we had both.

674284640_LobsterandDungenessCrabDecember31st20193.thumb.jpg.5d139cf1622f7629614627ac65b42d8e.jpg

Shared two lobsters and one two pound Dungeness crab.

Platter for two.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

We had fish tacos last night, as planned.

GF enjoyed a lobster the night before, because Sobeys had them on for $10.99/lb (still more than I'd like to pay, but the market is up these days). I opted for pea soup instead, because I wasn't in a crustacean sort of mood. Also, just as a general thing, to my taste pea soup>lobster in almost all circumstances. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning