• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

@chefmd 

Im not that big a fan of Brisket .

even going down to Austin , TX annd waiting in line

for several hours for Franklin BBQ

https://franklinbbq.com

I have been to visit my sister in the area , and for me

Brisket , this way , not SV  , or Corned  ill leave to those in T

but  i have had brisket as you made it

with some Friends 

and I must say

your version looks so many times better !

so a Kudos for each slice !

the ones I had  involved a Raisin sauce etc

no matter

yours , for this type of Prep

looks so delicious so 

congratulations !

• Like 4

Chanukka at my house yesterday, we decided to do "Linner" late afternoon so those of us who work could be home/rested. Mom made latkes and brought them to be reheated (a B+ batch, she had some Yukon Golds in the mix and they didn't crisp as well as usual), the obligatory applesauce and sour cream to top. Sis made salad with baby arugula, oranges, strawberries, almonds and a simple balsamic dressing. I made "asian" flavored meatballs (oven baked in a sauce without pre-browning, a timesaver) which were a big hit. I had bought 85%-15% ground turkey instead of my usual 93% lean and I had to add more panko to hold them together, that was a panic moment, but the texture was still good when cooked. Purchased cooked shrimp from Wegmans, served cold with cocktail sauce. Mixed berry pie, ice cream, and fruit slices (almost unbearably sweet, but deliciously intense flavors) from an upscale confectioner my Uncle frequents. Kind of a weird combo of foods, but it was sort of a nod to foods I knew everyone liked.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Margaret Pilgrim 

I really like stroganoff

I have turkeyB SV

how did you make the sauce ?

i can see making the sauce , then re-therming the SV TurkeyB in it

same for steak stroganoff , as I have steak Fz after SV @130.1 F

thanks 

Didn't have any mushrooms which you should try to include.   Sauted floured chicken tenders, then sliced onions.   Sour cream with some flour stirred in, chicken broth.    Dash Worchestershire and Dijon mustard.   

• Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

46 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Didn't have any mushrooms which you should try to include.   Sauted floured chicken tenders, then sliced onions.   Sour cream with some flour stirred in, chicken broth.    Dash Worchestershire and Dijon mustard.   

What we have always done. We used beef and always shrooms. Though...I had an Australian chef in the kitchen at a rehearsal dinner I was prepping for my sister's wedding (Justin Fortune). It was a zoo at the house and everybody was quite hungry and jet-lagged. . I sent him on an errand outside and used Cream of Mushroom soup!  Hid the can at the bottom of the bin. Also plenty of black pepper and a pinch of mustard powder versus Dijon. Not a spoonful left over.

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Dinner12252019.png

This was supposed to have been chicken cacciatore.  It isn't.  Amazon sent the wrong mushrooms.  I had never cooked Portobello mushrooms before.  Here with deckle portion of dry aged ribeye.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner was not much but hey, I got to see Etna today.

v7tPqhW.jpg

eJqwtWj.jpg

Where I got the "wild" asparagus

apu124K.jpg

mAsvbja.jpg

Sicily's most iconic natural beauty and is the island's top tourist attraction.

k0d8sH8.jpg

At sunset, seen from the Greek theatre.

4XQU5Oo.jpg

This is the Greek theatre. Like Sardinia and Corsica, anyone who has an army or navy has been here.

2V64X3Q.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

So many wonderful meals.   And photos.

1427831877_TourtiereDecember24th20191.thumb.jpg.be23ca807c2737e4854412dcdebcff39.jpg

I was out of bread (how does that happen) so I started a 1000g  batch of dough yesterday morning and baked late afternoon.

We had our Traditional Christmas Eve dinner - Tourtiere.

1885259203_TourtiereDecember24th20193.thumb.jpg.b851255df034d8dd096fb1211561da2b.jpg

Moe loves his served with a homemade chili tomato sauce. I still had a bottle left of the sauce I canned last year.

1489869479_TourtiereDecember24th20194.thumb.jpg.694530948defe5da2bb12e28bd2ba159.jpg

I prefer mine with gravy.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Bell & Evans chickens were on sale on amazon.  When will I ever learn?  There are few culinary tasks I despise more than breaking down a chicken.  Besides, amazon could not supply the mushrooms I needed for my chicken cacciatore.

Anyhow, two dishwasher loads later dinner was a breast quarter steam baked in the CSO.  Mashed potato and peas.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

There are few culinary tasks I despise more than breaking down a chicken.

I might be strange, but I quite enjoy it, as I do filleting fish and dissecting pretty much everything. What type of mushrooms did you need; can't they be subbed?

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I might be strange, but I quite enjoy it, as I do filleting fish and dissecting pretty much everything. What type of mushrooms did you need; can't they be subbed?

So do I. There is something calming in it.   I’m so Dexter  😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I cooked Christmas dinner, but we had it next door at our friends Clif and Barb.

1354274463_StuffedCornishGameHensDecember25th20191.thumb.jpg.b89382d8c5c2b903cefdb348e5f52bee.jpg

Boned out two of the biggest Cornish Game Hens I've ever seen.  1.150 K each. Stuffed with a wild rice stuffing. They were so good, I'm going to go back 

to the store and buy a few for the freezer. From a farm over on the mainland, near Vancouver. 

I adapted the stuffing which I usually make with  mushrooms and subbed in apricots and figs because Clif is not a fan of mushrooms.

Served with a port sauce which went well with the sweeter stuffing.  

601619160_StuffedCornishGameHensDecember25th20192.thumb.jpg.62e7e2ed45a3837cc3b1ad89805eaa2d.jpg

Forgot to take pictures of the roasted birds but did take one at the table. I should have turned the plate around to show the stuffing. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

I did not take picture of our Christmas dinner, but here is Christmas Eve's. I made Indian food. Corinder chicken curry, paneer butter masala, rice and naan. The curry and paneer were Meera Sodha's recipes, and they were both delicious

naan.thumb.jpg.9e4b24ec83c433f66a2c6913832f606f.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

If I didn't worry about getting juices all over me and the kitchen I might find it more calming.

The mushrooms I wanted were little brown ones, with the gills still closed or barely open.  I would have been happy enough with little white.  But what amazon sent were saucer sized adult Portobello.

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If I didn't worry about getting juices all over me and the kitchen I might find it more calming.

The mushrooms I wanted were little brown ones, with the gills still closed or barely open.  I would have been happy enough with little white.  But what amazon sent were saucer sized adult Portobello.

They can be chewy/meaty texture. I prefer the big guys grilled or stuffed .