• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

@rotuts Thanks! :) 

I guess that pecans will also work, but I tend to associate them with sweet preparations.

No bread alongside. It's not common here in Israel to have bread with pasta, so I'm more inclined to serve mine with salad. This time it was arugula with some basil, olive oil and vinegar. Not even mixed into a vinagrete.

• Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

@heidih  store bought at Aldi

tried my hand at pasta making but my wife gave me a hard time due to the perceived mess.  I said never again.   

it was such a simple dish, born out of the necessity to make something quick and easy with what I had on hand.  My biggest challenge was making sure I didn’t burn the garlic

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 7:14 PM, lindag said:

Any info on the best way to cook a chuck eye?

It’s a cut that’s new to me.

I know it's late, but...

when one of my favorite butchers was still around, he'd save these - makes the best burgers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This evening, at their request, this old pensioner cooked a five course dinner for three hungry twenty-year old Chinese women friends, but under the pressure forgot to take any pictures. There were matsutake mushrooms in there which fascinated them, but not as much as the black garlic I accompanied them with. I did a sort of Moroccan inspired chicken thing with ras el hanout. Clams with oyster sauce. A soup of pork and 粉葛 (fěn gé), Pueraria montana var. lobata, kudzu, Japanese arrowroot. Stir fried spinach with salted black beans and garlic. And the obligatory rice. Lots of fruit was eaten afterwards. Fun, hard work and photographic memory lapse.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

50 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

photographic memory lapse.

Shame. But it exercises my imagination and you’ve posted so much that I can sort of see it. I bet you all had a great time and a tasty meal. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Shame. But it exercises my imagination and you’ve posted so much that I can sort of see it. I bet you all had a great time and a tasty meal. 

Thanks. Apart from the pork soup, I think everything else was versions of things I've made and posted before, but some new to them. They were astonished but  delighted by black garlic, but then I love it, too.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou Your meal sounds delicious and I can picture it too.  I can also picture the delighted looks on your guests faces :) 

Great looking food here, as usual, everyone!

Venison cheeseburger pizza and the usual salad.  I'm so happy to eat salad again.

thumbnail_IMG_7212.jpg.e18bf3247d416e8376e1651038687b67.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7213.jpg.2942a6523f067ae0d99db2bb92fcc188.jpg

Sticky wings and drunken noodles with an egg roll 

thumbnail_IMG_7214.jpg.4da7529ffc99ed4089ed1f6f6980d31f.jpg

I've been looking for dishes that looked Christmasy but could also be used in the middle of summer.  I found these and thought they could look picnic-y too.  Or maybe I'm delusional lol.  Venison meatballs.

thumbnail_IMG_7215.jpg.27d050161f213494db81f86a1788784d.jpg

Scallops that I didn't get a great sear on, but still tasted good :) 

thumbnail_IMG_7219.jpg.da8d66f4b105c90e9129710c6578e559.jpg

Lasagna soup to celebrate the first day of winter

thumbnail_IMG_7221.jpg.34343db7d9a6fb4303912e4e2b407a03.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Spicy Iberico blood sausage with roasted potatoes and salad.

nVuRQTc.jpg

PlUaT0a.jpg

Today I got to my lodging at 8pm and not really hungry after 2 huge rice croquettes and garlicky pizza earlier.

Z8jfbiu.jpg

Sicilian beers, Bavarian Lebkuchen.

KGuG4kf.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Tonight I had Brussels sprouts roasted in the CSO, sous vide brisket that a made SV several days ago and browned on the PAG with a half baked potato with butter.

Yum.  Everything was SO good.

My first try with  SV brisket and I’m impressed.  

• Like 8

Tonight was Moroccan cuisine.  Unlike the night before, no, I did not make it.  (Though my recent quince and lamb tagine was quite tasty if I don't mind saying so myself.)  My granddaughter is home from college and we went to a Moroccan restaurant.  As we were sampling our olives and apricots* another family came in and were seated next to us:  a dear friend, her husband and two sons, and a son's girlfriend.  We did not plan this.

My grandson is a picky eater but he was quite taken by the olives and the knee joint of his dinner.  My dinner was bastille.  I am no novice at Moroccan cooking but bastille has been beyond my means.  No longer am I a bastille virgin.  My friend's husband is Moroccan and he chatted with the owner and the owner's family.  Like the owner's wife, my friend is not Moroccan.  The establishment comped our beverages and baclava.

I had not brought my iPad and none at my table were photographing our food.  Fortunately my friend's table made up for it.

Lunch had been not so much of a family affair.  Both my granddaughter and grandson study Mandarin but my grandson (did I mention he is a picky eater?) does not care much for Chinese cuisines.  There is a Sichuan restaurant she loves in which he adamantly refuses to eat.  She and my son and I dined there, while my grandson and daughter-in-law supped elsewhere.

With dishes such as duck blood, sautéed frog, and pig intestine in casserole, it is not a typical Americanized Chinese menu.  Besides ourselves as far as I could see the clientele were all Chinese except for a Chinese-European family and an Indian family.  Four dinners for three people.  There were no leftovers.

*these were the first and only apricots I have truly enjoyed in my long life.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

That D'artagnan flash sale is awarding me, as one package of D'artagnan duck legs became...

XEzcr8f.jpg?1

Nontraditional confit. Came out really great, as I let the legs cure for 2 days in the fridge.  Last time I made duck legs this way, I only cured them for a few hours - much better like this.

tYKC5rq.jpg?1

Served with cabbage-filled boiled pierogis (thanks to Varenichnaya, in Brighton Beach), and some blanched and sautéed (in duck fat, of course) broccoli and carrots.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@chefmd That brisket looks absolutely amazing! :D  Could I trouble you for recipe (broad sketches) how it was prepared? TIA

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde