• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

If you have a CSO, you might try this method.  If not...anyone???  @Anna N?

Sous vide 24 hrs @ 54.5-56°C then a quick sear. Hard to beat it for taste and tenderness. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No pretty pictures.    Not bad Israeli couscous seasoned with onion, fine herbes, parsley, and, sure a bit of butter.    Chard stalks stir-fried with green onions and oyster sauce.    So far, passable.   

But with an unforgivable logic lapse, I picked up a preseasoned flap meat.    The meat was super tender, perhaps a red-flag, and the spices really interesting.   But the SALT LEVEL should have made this product illegal.     Beyond unhealthful, it was gaggingly salty.    Too bad.    It could have been so good. 

photo-4.thumb.JPG.caee259bb84ae096093d1eac5985f083.JPG

The piece above is after serving both of us.   And this was only half of the slab.     Trying to decide if we should toss both out for feral animals or if it is better going to compost.    Sad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

No pretty pictures.    Not bad Israeli couscous seasoned with onion, fine herbes, parsley, and, sure a bit of butter.    Chard stalks stir-fried with green onions and oyster sauce.    So far, passable.   

But with an unforgivable logic lapse, I picked up a preseasoned flap meat.    The meat was super tender, perhaps a red-flag, and the spices really interesting.   But the SALT LEVEL should have made this product illegal.     Beyond unhealthful, it was gaggingly salty.    Too bad.    It could have been so good. 

The piece above is after serving both of us.   And this was only half of the slab.     Trying to decide if we should toss both out for feral animals or if it is better going to compost.    Sad.

Yes the pre-seasoned can be cloying in the salt department (esp TJ) Korean market usully ok cuz more sweet side. I stopped long ago and buy it "nekkid" 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

In similar circumstances, I've made soup. The salt mostly goes into the broth, where you can compensate for it. 

It's a frugality thing on my part, of course. Tossing it is also a perfectly valid option.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

In similar circumstances, I've made soup. The salt mostly goes into the broth, where you can compensate for it. 

It's a frugality thing on my part, of course. Tossing it is also a perfectly valid option.

I suggested chili.   Husband suggested toss.    I may still override.

I could also work in ragu.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:48 AM, scubadoo97 said:

A quick simple dinner.   Thin sliced garlic sautéed in butter followed by Patagonian scallops with basil over herbed pasta

This looks awesome and I am stealing your menu for my dinner tonight.

Last night, glazed salmon with rice and miso soup with bok choy

1389648117_glazedsalmon.thumb.jpg.90dd12675a768bb50ccc2a0dd22d5e1b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

@Margaret Pilgrim 

why hurt a feral animal ?

next time get flap as flap , 

on sale of course

chill the rest that you have   very cold

cut off thin slices and use for a sandwich

after you put those slices in ice cold water and 

pat dry  it will make a nice sandwich , but you will probalby

loose the marinade from that meat

no matter , add your own on the sandwich.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Margaret Pilgrim 

why hurt a feral animal ?

next time get flap as flap , 

on sale of course

chill the rest that you have   very cold

cut off thin slices and use for a sandwich

after you put those slices in ice cold water and 

pat dry  it will make a nice sandwich , but you will probalby

loose the marinade from that meat

no matter , add your own on the sandwich.

Totally agree with both your first premise and later recs.    We almost never buy seasoned meat or other prepped foods.   This just somehow called my name by price and faith in the grocer.    There was nothing "wrong" with this meat, just that it was seasoned for another demographic.     But your warnings are valid and well received.   

I will most probably leach out some salt and repurpose as Chromedome suggests.    We throw out scraps but not overly spiced stuff for our furry visitors.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

@shain 

that looks Sooooo  Delicious !

Id gobble it up Right Now !

Walnuts are fine , and they may have health benefits 

but , what do you think of this dish w Pecans ?

they might not be as readily available in Your Area 

I do have some Tasty Soup , wedding soup , from a can

and i do fix it up 

for my dinner 

but yours looks pretty snappy to me

what kind of Home Made Bread did you make for it ?

Focaccia ?    some other crusty item ?

that plate of Fine Food 

needs something like the above

just saying

• Like 3

On 12/18/2019 at 5:48 AM, scubadoo97 said:

A quick simple dinner.   Thin sliced garlic sautéed in butter followed by Patagonian scallops with basil over herbed pasta 

I'm obsessed thinking about this for Christmas. Did you make the pasta? - it looks like it has a good "chew". If so -recipe? Thanks for the inspiration