• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

48 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

Thanks guys! Glad I could share it. 🙂

Yes as noted -  spectacular. And the thoughtful plating looks like it enhances rather being "for effect".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

Yes as noted -  spectacular. And the thoughtful plating looks like it enhances rather being "for effect".

yes! This is exactly what I love about Japanese culture and style as expressed in plated food. Rooted in the ancient flower arrangement tradition of Ikebana, which exemplifies a “Zen” minimalism that does away with all that is not essential. Coupled with masterful technique (of which the Japanese are unrivaled) this artistic style produces the most visually stunning and pleasurable to eat food I have ever experienced.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What a great looking trip!  How long was it?

Thank you! I was there for 4 weeks, traveling from Tokyo to the southern region of Kyushu. Very happy to say I will return at the end of January to do some cooking/baking and give cooking lessons in a small village just outside of Nagasaki. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mm84321 said:

yes! This is exactly what I love about Japanese culture and style as expressed in plated food. Rooted in the ancient flower arrangement tradition of Ikebana, which exemplifies a “Zen” minimalism that does away with all that is not essential. Coupled with masterful technique (of which the Japanese are unrivaled) this artistic style produces the most visually stunning and pleasurable to eat food I have ever experienced.   

We have a local Ikebana master.  https://southcoastbotanicgarden.org/event/ikebana-flower-arranging/2020-01-21/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mm84321 said:

Thank you! I was there for 4 weeks, traveling from Tokyo to the southern region of Kyushu. Very happy to say I will return at the end of January to do some cooking/baking and give cooking lessons in a small village just outside of Nagasaki. 

Fantastic!

• Like 1

Low energy led to a fruit bowl and fridge crawl ->: mango, brown sugar and chili

262783966_photo1-1.JPG.b5156336249e0f35a030ef3172df3734.JPG

Redux of tri-tip, sliced and flash seared, hash-browns, zucchini pancake with salsa and sour cream

1052663710_photo2-1.JPG.7e1942ec2b5ff9024b2598fcdc90aee6.JPG

]

eta. yes, husband likes a little butter on his hash-browns...

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 10

eGullet member #80.

15 hours ago, mm84321 said:

Beautiful images.  One thing I find fascinating with Japanese culture is the care and tradition that is rooted in what they do.  Whether it’s making knives or cooking you don’t just jump in to it.   You master it with pride starting from the bottom and working up 

• Like 2

Now on the other end of the spectrum 

Dinner was the result of rummaging through the freezer to find some steelhead filets and 4 scallops left in a the scallop bag.  

Leftover  black beans, rice and a quick salad to round it out 

6AC082C1-9BC7-46F3-A38E-3846BF9677FA.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

A couple of dinners, a couple of dishes in no discernible order or anything...

qD1HTGC.jpg

4ZXBx1P.jpg

Roasted red and green peppers, marinated overnight and served with Cantabrian anchovies.

Qn9Jfar.jpg

Scallops - Wednesday fish vendor (from Montauk) at Union Square.  Also had nice looking porgy for $3.99/lb.

dcNDcm1.jpg?1

This was great - white bean soup (cream, stock, mirepoix, pre-cooked Marcella beans from RG). Garnished with D'artagnan crisped ventreche and croutons fried in the renderings of ventreche. Not healthy but delicious.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Steak frites, and a gruyere puff for the non-red meat eaters.  There was also a salad, I promise!

1346711025_gruyerepuff.thumb.jpg.7798af731f3d11ab42270021cccf3fa2.jpg

How is this different from a cheese soufflé?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

47 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How is this different from a cheese soufflé?

It's more like an eggy popover than a soufflé.

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Goodness!  It looks almost like a Dutch baby.  Would you share the recipe? 

Sure, here is the link: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11948-gruyere-puff?action=click&module=Local Search Recipe Card&pgType=search&rank=1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

73D35DFE-5B79-464F-B7E6-137D3E799687.thumb.jpeg.48a7f826a51a2942dd44a67acbb06acb.jpeg

Super Quick and Easy: Green Leaf Lettuce, Cucumber, and Red Onion Salad with Croutons and Cotija Cheese, dressed with Ken’s Creamy Caesar, and Toasted Ravioli (from frozen) with Classico Fire Roasted Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce for dipping

EB32F4DC-8691-4AC2-A3DE-0213D5A6E078.thumb.jpeg.99620b7b16bd1e5fa53cd5b763ca904b.jpeg

• Like 12