• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Dinner12112019.png

It's late.  I was not going to post a picture but I am a dinner whore.  Dry aged NY strip, much of the gray green mold cut off.  Thirty second green beans.  Momofuku ranch not shown.

Dessert, how could one forget dessert, King Arthur Flour Crystal Diamonds...

CrystalDiamonds12102019

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yesterday was my fish share delivery.  I thought we were getting Jonah crab legs this week in addition to our usual salmon and local white fish, and had a spicy crab spaghetti recipe picked out and ready to go.  But, when I opened the cooler, no crab!  It turns out that the crab is scheduled to be delivered next week.  Luckily I had not started cooking yet.  So I made what was intended for tonight's dinner instead: a batch of rustic dinner rolls

1085010933_rusticdinnerrolls.thumb.jpg.e3ace69e3cb154f6f974dfffe64afbda.jpg

and hake cooked in a spicy tomato-caper-olive sauce with basil.

hake.thumb.jpg.dbd49129c7d427f993a7d0ccf2572e22.jpg

We'll have what was intended to be tomorrow's salmon tonight, and then I have to come up with something from the freezer for Thursday.

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

@liamsaunt, that looks so delicious! I was just talking with a friend about poaching fish too. Was the fish poached in what would become the soup sauce? Could you please give some volume measurements?

Yes, the fish was poached in the stock, along with the mushrooms and spinach.  It's basically this recipe from Martha Rose Shulman: 

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014778-noodle-bowl-with-mushrooms-spinach-and-salmon?action=click&module=Local Search Recipe Card&pgType=search&rank=14

I used home made miso chicken stock that was in my freezer.  For two servings, I used six cups stock, one bunch spinach, 6 ounces mushrooms, six ounces of noodles, and 10 ounces salmon, plus a bunch of scallions and cilantro.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Miso noodle bowls with shiitake mushrooms, spinach, and salmon poached in the broth

I think if I gathered all your homemade dinners together in a book I would have a bestseller on my hands. I’d credit you with the photography. 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Home from the country via a 7 hour, multi-pit stop drive, meager fresh foods OH.     Even less energy or interest in cooking.   ->

Grapefruit

2001810571_ScreenShot2019-12-12at5_41_00PM.thumb.png.2bee32b160ce1e4a9ab9e55a50970c6f.png

(Frozen, packaged) lobster ravioli.    Package said = 2 1/2 portions,   We ate the whole thing.   Husband commented, "These are really good,"

1752654399_ScreenShot2019-12-12at5_41_15PM.thumb.png.8bffb21879207e2162bf65628708f8ab.png

• Like 9

eGullet member #80.

John has actually been home lately so a bit more cooking than when he is gone.

I've been testing a recipe for a friend for crispy salmon and have it just where it should be.  Been playing with several sides.

Made a Martha Stewart recipe for shrimp scampi.  That was interesting because it incorporated shrimp stock into the sauce.  He liked it a lot.

Yesterday I was craving pork.  I stopped at the local butcher's and got a bone in and boneless pork chop.  I baked off several sweet potatoes(white and garnet) then took them out of their jackets then mashed them with some butter and toast dope.  I steamed some green beans.  I mixed up a rub with some salt, oregano, mixed peppercorns and ground garlic, patted the chops dry and put the rub on them. Seared on all sides in some olive oil then into a 400F oven for  10 minutes.  Out and rest for 5 minutes then slice and serve.  The boneless chop served both of us now I will cut the chop from the bone and then roast the bone a bit in the oven for the cook's treat.

• Like 11

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites