• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

12 hours ago, chromedome said:

As it happens, duck and Brussels sprouts were on the menu at my place tonight, too. The duck was a version of the five-hour slow roast that's been going around of late, and the sprouts were tiny ones from my garden (blanched and frozen a few weeks ago after harvest). In my case the sprouts were caramelized slowly in a skillet with onions from my garden. Other sides were roasted potatoes (in duck fat, natch) with roasted carrots and parsnips (the latter also from my garden) and braised cabbage (ditto) with onions and apples.

No photos, alas, as my kitchen is currently a shambles with Christmas baking. Also laziness...

As It happens, again, I made said five hour duck two nights ago....fail.  Maybe it was my duck but the skin never really got crispy (fat was rendered though) and the meat got dried out. 😫

Don't know what I did.  Followed instructions faithfully.  

How did yours turn out?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Good enough. Lots of crisp skin. The bird of course was well done, because that's how this particular recipe works, but it was tasty enough and still moist.

I bought two while they were on sale, and will probably do something different with the other one, but the results were perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@shain – I’ve never had sunchokes and that gratin looks so good.  How would you describe the flavor?

@Anna N and @liuzhou – I am quite sure that this anglophile would quite like stovies.

@JoNorvelleWalker – no canned tuna shaming from me.  Mr. Kim was mooning over some tuna in the fish case at the store Saturday.  I opined that my favorite tuna was the round kind😄.  And I’ll top you – I like plain old Starkist chunk light packed in water.  (I actually like it packed in oil, but Mr. Kim and Costco insist on water). 

@gfweb – jumping on the bandwagon to say how much I love your house.  I’d love to see more of it.  There is nothing I like better than a stone house.  Our very first owned home was an almost 100 year old stone farmhouse.  Very casual and country, but I loved the history. 

@chromedome – I believe I will have to try that duck recipe.  I am one of those folks who detests poultry cooked any lower than medium well.  I just can’t make myself swallow it. 

I’m not cooking much lately, but we did have a lovely dinner with some dear friends who came back to town for a visit.  We all love Greek, so we met at one of our old favorites,  Demi's.

Started with flamed saganaki:

608458012_girlsdinner6.jpg.aa4305a94d89befd768d7979b94a7a88.jpg

Maybe my favorite food in the entire world.  Also, spanakopita:

2030712864_girlsdinner5.jpg.fad0f6a82ee02f9a5ac839307581e3d3.jpg

Some of the best I ever remember eating.  We ordered something interesting sounding:

233153515_girlsdinner4.jpg.ce46e1eb90fdacb951b48cfdd7e24253.jpg

1132372283_girlsdinner3.jpg.11ecdf8e46f6ea15f253cfb03f5457e3.jpg

Dried apricots stuffed with ricotta cheese, Spanish almonds, and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.  All five of us agreed that these were very good, but a little bland.  We thought that substituting goat cheese for the ricotta would be good.  I’m going to give it a try with goat cheese, marcona almonds, and saba. 

Our entrees - sundried tomato, capers, and artichoke hearts on linguini:

749989709_girlsdinner.jpg.00c0b9c44631e88a66fed706f61d0cbc.jpg

Paella – Spanish chorizo, mussels, shrimp, cod and calamari and topped with fried oysters:

1847077881_girlsdinner2.jpg.d85f4a2d91ce0fe39e0a34058ebbc20c.jpg

Spanish chorizo and ham soup with white beans, tomato, onions, garlic, and peppers and the spinach, kale, & arugula salad with apricots, red onion, cucumbers, tomatoes, and walnuts in a creamy feta dressing:

907557391_girlsdinner2a.jpg.3e4103108f73eecb3cbeb8d24ebb66e5.jpg

Chicken souvlaki:

933794362_girlsdinner2b.jpg.73d30b947235c64e8f5fe907d320ee87.jpg

One of the specials – monkfish with crabmeat and shrimp:

1583969497_girlsdinner2c.jpg.f8a63c5a94f72f2c756751ecb7789415.jpg

Desserts were baklava:

396772085_girlsdinner8.jpg.3996419a1b38d54d01a388c705b3dab9.jpg

Sweet cheese empanada with vanilla ice cream:

1357228531_girlsdinner7.jpg.aa64a86732960c9596e9405409bd5d50.jpg

And egg nog crème brulee:

832822462_girlsdinner9.jpg.1a9bc673d940f57b098bfec991a9905f.jpg

Everything was absolutely delicious – better than any other time we’ve been.  I was especially impressed with the paella.  So many places where you can go wrong and each element was cooked so well. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Usually or perhaps I should just say often, lunch is dinner leftovers. But tonight dinner was lunch leftovers. 

A232A01A-2876-4C33-B11E-F2325F2E2060.thumb.jpeg.aa1728f7d1dbfe97364f2a227f9ef69d.jpeg

Reheated in the CSO (Cuisinart steam oven) to perfection. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Artsy Farsty private dinner.....

We had a nice dinner with a modern French styling prepared and served by a private Chef and we ate everything including the kitchen sink.

First the printed menu as it makes things look more posh:

R623DNp.jpg

Started with a salad or should I say une salade or Premier Plat which makes it even more pompous. The assaisonnement was perfect to work with the watermelon - Goat cheese and Passion fruit.

2xmAD7B.jpg

This was followed by a medley of sea food

Jr65mrm.jpg

and cut with a Sorbet of Soursop and Yuzu pearls which was heavenly

sUkHBuV.jpg

The main were a kind of surf and turf which I personally find ridiculous. Filet Mignon and a Josper Prawn are too far away in taste and I do not see the point. They were both nice but there was only a single sauce which was for the Filet Mignon. Two dishes on the same plate. No dice for me.

DOUG5By.jpg

and finally the kitchen sink dessert and we had to roll back home....

nBVpjPs.jpg

The winners were the salad and the Sorbet.....

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I’ve never had sunchokes and that gratin looks so good.  How would you describe the flavor?

You should definitely get some and give them a try. They have a nutty flavor, a bit like sunflowers. they also resemble carrots a little sweet, not starchy. But sunchokes are snappier than carrots.

Simply roasted is a good start. Washed well and left skin on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

6 hours ago, Nicolai said:

Artsy Farsty private dinner.....

We had a nice dinner with a modern French styling prepared and served by a private Chef and we ate everything including the kitchen sink.

First the printed menu as it makes things look more posh:

R623DNp.jpg

Started with a salad or should I say une salade or Premier Plat which makes it even more pompous. The assaisonnement was perfect to work with the watermelon - Goat cheese and Passion fruit.

2xmAD7B.jpg

This was followed by a medley of sea food

Jr65mrm.jpg

and cut with a Sorbet of Soursop and Yuzu pearls which was heavenly

sUkHBuV.jpg

The main were a kind of surf and turf which I personally find ridiculous. Filet Mignon and a Josper Prawn are too far away in taste and I do not see the point. They were both nice but there was only a single sauce which was for the Filet Mignon. Two dishes on the same plate. No dice for me.

DOUG5By.jpg

and finally the kitchen sink dessert and we had to roll back home....

nBVpjPs.jpg

The winners were the salad and the Sorbet.....

I agree with the shrimp/filet  discordance.  Its a cruise ship view of fancy food.

• Haha 2

Just now, gfweb said:

I agree with the shrimp/filet  discordance.  Its a cruise ship view of fancy food.

My first thought was "hodge podge" - tempura with sauced teak and potato puree.  The BBQ sauce?  Rest looks lovely

• Like 2