• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

14 hours ago, weinoo said:

I was walking past a fishmonger in the new Essex Market, and he was just opening up a crate of salmon he'd received. Atlantic farmed. Despite its freshness, would not buy again. Stuff tastes like cardboard.  Maybe I'll stovetop smoke the other piece I have.

It certainly can't hurt to try.

It's quite striking the difference aquaculture practices make. There are two salmon-rearing operations in my immediate vicinity, and when I opened my restaurant I tried them both head-to-head. One is among the largest players in salmon production, and they cater primarily to the price-sensitive mass market. Theirs was just sad...pale in color (not that color *really* matters) and equally insipid in flavor. The other was a smaller operation targeting a higher-end market niche, and theirs was vastly superior in every respect. Better color, better flavor, thicker fillets, firmer texture. Their cultivation practices were better as well, with pen densities at less than 1/3 of the populations stocked by their larger competitor. They also produce their own feedstocks, as opposed to buying feed.

You'll have little trouble guessing which supplier I opted to use...

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

27 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It certainly can't hurt to try.

It's quite striking the difference aquaculture practices make. There are two salmon-rearing operations in my immediate vicinity, and when I opened my restaurant I tried them both head-to-head. One is among the largest players in salmon production, and they cater primarily to the price-sensitive mass market. Theirs was just sad...pale in color (not that color *really* matters) and equally insipid in flavor. The other was a smaller operation targeting a higher-end market niche, and theirs was vastly superior in every respect. Better color, better flavor, thicker fillets, firmer texture. Their cultivation practices were better as well, with pen densities at less than 1/3 of the populations stocked by their larger competitor. They also produce their own feedstocks, as opposed to buying feed.

You'll have little trouble guessing which supplier I opted to use...

Yes.  This was definitely salmon geared to the mass-market. Like the chicken breast of fish.

I've also had pretty good farmed stuff; some of the Norwegian and Scottish fish is quite good.

• Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I also wonder if I'm better off buying frozen wild Alaskan salmon - usually it's sockeye or Coho, not my favorites as they can also dry out very quickly in cooking.

The King is dead. Long live the King. Yes, it makes me want to cry. Sockeye and Coho just aren't as good as west coast King / Chinook, but the days of fresh wild CA King salmon are just about gone. Sometimes we can get Alaskan King that's wild and usually frozen, but all stocks are depleted. Farmed Atlantic salmon is available as it is on the east coast, but I no longer have a taste for it; there's always something wrong with it and it makes me depressed. I don't know if any farmed Norwegian or Scottish salmon makes it out to CA; I've never seen it, but I've never looked for it either. I'm sorry for our loss and our ongoing stupidity. Forgive me! Seasonal Affective Disorder and xmas music always make December a hard sell for me.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Cauliflower stir fried with 晒兰 (shài lán),   green and red chillies, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine and soy sauce. Served with rice and wilted spinach.

Vegetarian? Or is that some form of protein that I spot?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

50 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

The King is dead. Long live the King. Yes, it makes me want to cry. Sockeye and Coho just aren't as good as west coast King / Chinook, but the days of fresh wild CA King salmon are just about gone. Sometimes we can get Alaskan King that's wild and usually frozen, but all stocks are depleted. Farmed Atlantic salmon is available as it is on the east coast, but I no longer have a taste for it; there's always something wrong with it and it makes me depressed. I don't know if any farmed Norwegian or Scottish salmon makes it out to CA; I've never seen it, but I've never looked for it either. I'm sorry for our loss and our ongoing stupidity. Forgive me! Seasonal Affective Disorder and xmas music always make December a hard sell for me.  

Totally agree and it sucks.  The Norwegian stuff is good quality, as is Scottish.  Perhaps you can find some smoked, and use it like you would "novie!"

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Vegetarian? Or is that some form of protein that I spot?

Vegetarian? Good Lord! I can be accused of many things, but  vegetarian?

I do occasionally make vegetarian dishes - like some salads. Or a poached egg. But please be reassured, this was not in the least vegetarian. 晒兰 (shài lán) is  ham, ham, ham! Any rumours to the contrary are fake news and lies.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

The King is dead. Long live the King. Yes, it makes me want to cry. Sockeye and Coho just aren't as good as west coast King / Chinook, but the days of fresh wild CA King salmon are just about gone.

It seems their numbers are  recovering .  

Clicking on suppliers, it serms that Berkeley Bowl is mentioned.    You might call ahead since they are seasonal.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Vegetarian? Good Lord! I can be accused of many things, but  vegetarian?

I do occasionally make vegetarian dishes - like some salads. Or a poached egg. But please be reassured, this was not in the least vegetarian. 晒兰 (shài lán) is  ham, ham, ham! Any rumours to the contrary are fake news and lies.

Sincere apologies for the unintended insult. 😂  I should’ve been paying more attention.  But it was truly worrisome.  

• Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It seems their numbers are  recovering .  

Clicking on suppliers, it serms that Berkeley Bowl is mentioned.    You might call ahead since they are seasonal.   

My husband does the Bowl run every week to ten days. He always checks the salmon and says it is rarely wild King. A when it is, the price is staggering. Same goes for my favorite fish destination, Tokyo Market, on San Pablo. If you are in the east bay it's just a great place to buy seafood and Asian supplies. Their black cod is the freshest around, better than the Bowl. They also sell grilled salmon collars, which are a greasy good treat, probably neither wild, fresh or King, but life is short.

• Like 1

BCFDC83D-3B0B-4BAE-8345-36B632E66456.thumb.jpeg.0ca16cffa684d7243b15207c9947f3e8.jpeg

Stovies made in the A4 box. 

I did so much research only to discover that there are dozens of explanations of the meaning of the name of the dish and its origin ( @liuzhou covered this).  And there are almost as many ways of making stovies as there are Scots.  Even the Great British Chefs site has a version. In fact there is a site — stovies.com. 

There are vegetarian versions, healthy versions where 60 g of meat is considered adequate for 300 g of potatoes!  There are cheese versions and gussied up versions. I tried to stay pretty much along the same lines as liuzhou. 

But perhaps the most interesting thing I learned in my research was that the first mention of stovies on this board was on August 9, 2001. To me that is remarkable because unless I’m mistaken eG came into being the previous month!  Here.

If you follow that link it will take you down a rabbit hole and probably bring tears to your eyes especially if you were an oldster like me and have been a member for a very long time!

Back to my stovies. According to many sites they need time to reabsorb any liquid and for the flavours to marry. This may be pooh-poohed by many Scots. But I made them early and they will have time to age just a bit before it is dinner time. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Taipei- vegetable dumplings at Zi Lin, xiao long bao, grilled king trumpet mushroom, the best dumpling I’ve ever eaten, pea shoots, century egg, pork dumpling at Din Tai Fung, giant pot of braised cow stomachs, mango ice, sweet potato greens (amazing), and pepper cakes (ate at least 4 of them)

B14FB177-383B-4C2C-A6F3-5AF94CE1F1F2.jpeg

72F12E02-BF26-488D-99BB-2281C3FD6031.jpeg

1C23A221-85D8-4830-B1D7-5136C98C826D.jpeg

7BCAF433-D25C-4A88-802D-322B00CFB044.jpeg

193112CE-497F-4849-A744-3E6D74033013.jpeg

D9DECC1B-0DF8-404B-9577-D12E15989E00.jpeg

6C10C9A9-C4C2-4C69-BC8C-BA1853B458A5.jpeg

E5F402D6-4C10-4776-AD9A-C92F14713C8E.jpeg

263ED6B8-0DDB-4DA2-A6A3-9C36A15F1F1D.jpeg

655A30B7-8286-40C1-9A4D-E32FEE0510B2.jpeg

5499D8A6-D2AF-46BA-940B-1C2925539F1D.jpeg

3CB10638-226A-443A-B022-0A2859AAF57E.jpeg

19A215A3-0267-427F-93B6-B335D219F8A3.jpeg

F4D3D37D-5921-47EC-9DE5-5DB371F714FC.jpeg

19A904B2-ED19-400C-99ED-DDAD723CD10B.jpeg

FA9DC37D-C78D-411E-9CA3-25349FB44FB9.jpeg

D1A3D8ED-A290-4399-89AE-01508DDE3DCC.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

spiced yam filled acorn squash

A little more information, please. Sounds good and looks good. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

A little more information, please. Sounds good and looks good. 

Mashed yams with cream,   just enough allspice to wonder what that spice is , a dash or three of liquid smoke which is vital and just enough sugar to make it slightly sweet. Salt.

Overall it is on the border of savory and sweet

Acorn squash is sectioned and cooked at 350 steam in CSO for about 10 minutes, then warm yams are put in the rings, lightly dusted with brown sugar and then broiled at 500F for 8 min.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Tonight we got a crevalle jack, first time for me cooking it, I filleted, cut it and sauté with oil, butter, some lime pelé à vif, chili crunch condiment, parsley. I also did a blue fish under salt. Total cost of the fishes $3.50😁. Salad and always present jamón. 

EC6C8048-A317-418F-8432-C596AB651F31.jpeg

A5814AC2-CB94-41EA-AA3A-CDA94C4D0E9C.jpeg

DBCCF612-6BD2-47BF-98D9-73C78808DFDF.jpeg

A21C2C90-7E90-465E-AE9B-7ED0D41C63F3.jpeg

E33EC03F-CE66-47FD-B475-C0DB3768606E.jpeg

B901B2F7-803A-41E6-AEB6-79BCE8002373.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

According to many sites they need time to reabsorb any liquid and for the flavours to marry. This may be pooh-poohed by many Scots. But I made them early and they will have time to age just a bit before it is dinner time. 

You'll get no pooh-poohiing from this Scot. The last batch I made (and posted) for dinner reappeared next day for lunch and definitely tasted better (not that they were bad first time round).

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 minutes ago, Franci said:

Tonight we got a crevalle jack, first time for me cooking it, I filleted, cut it and sauté with oil, butter, some lime pelé à vif, chili crunch condiment, parsley. I also did a blue fish under salt. Total cost of the fishes $3.50😁. Salad and always present jamón. 

EC6C8048-A317-418F-8432-C596AB651F31.jpeg

A5814AC2-CB94-41EA-AA3A-CDA94C4D0E9C.jpeg

DBCCF612-6BD2-47BF-98D9-73C78808DFDF.jpeg

A21C2C90-7E90-465E-AE9B-7ED0D41C63F3.jpeg

E33EC03F-CE66-47FD-B475-C0DB3768606E.jpeg

B901B2F7-803A-41E6-AEB6-79BCE8002373.jpeg

I didn't understand half of that -- but being from New Jersey, bluefish is one of my favorite fish.  My dinner tonight is canned tuna.  After I finish my bowl of cashews, pecans, peanuts.  And my mai tai.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou