• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Recently found out that a work colleague has a hunting license. He was happy to get me a saddle of venison, that I had intended as this years Christmas dish. 

Tonight in a simple prep, with red cabbage, Schupfnudeln and mushroom cream sauce. Meat is excellent, more has been ordered for December ...

CCE4D940-7B6E-4EE5-92A4-F0B3C3842D6C.thumb.jpeg.0bcfd249e7f869baea5c3877ba3369d0.jpeg

Enjoyed with two winter/Christmas beers from Strasbourg ...

8F827783-4150-4155-B7F0-FA721A8B56D2.thumb.jpeg.5b97ee9dc5f9a0e11f477825af95e2ea.jpeg

449560C9-71B6-4FA6-B7AE-267CDB0E4C89.thumb.jpeg.8db3c8c4c9cfe875a7a8f70e5a76bc76.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Happy Thanksgiving!

513A2DF4-CF6D-4305-92C0-B53F11C61D8C.thumb.jpeg.7dd71f98613818f07d8c6513b0de2d4a.jpeg

Roasted Turkey Thigh, Green Peas, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Bread Dressing, Cranberry Sauce and Homemade Dinner Roll.

I skipped Breakfast and Lunch today. Took two walks - a two mile walk this morning and a one mile walk after dinner. Still stuffed!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 5

19 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Inspired by Nigel Slater

I think he has some of the best fast food going!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I think he has some of the best fast food going!

As long as your rye bread is already baked and you didn't have to catch and smoke the salmon.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

23 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Simply POV    These Italian glasses have a certain presence and self assurance

245924079_ScreenShot2019-11-27at7_05_07PM.png.2de86991617a6755029ae3b0c1aead54.png

I love drinking wine out of these types of glasses.  Small tumblers.  Use to be an Italian restaurant in Toronto that we went to that served wine in similar glasses.   

Tonight's dinner.

1346732817_SmokedSalmonPlatterfortwowithhomemadeBagelsNovember28th20192.thumb.jpg.5149826022ea0fbf2afc2ae16bc879dd.jpg

Platter for two.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Smallish Thanksgiving group this year.

Appetizers...cauliflower soup and Ina Garten's sun dried tomato dip  which was very nice

011.thumb.jpg.0e1ed1817b26a9f9f370200b0bf79bfe.jpg

008.thumb.jpg.8001794288cd413d8ac2098ee88ad6ed.jpg

SV turkey breast and roasted dark meat, brussels sprout slaw with cranzins and bacon fat. Not shown au gratin potatoes, smoked yam puree, gravy, stuffing, rolls, cranberry dressing.

032.thumb.JPG.1438d1795c1463193ac2b4f9145db9b4.JPG

022.thumb.jpg.a042803e224082f788af24dd733e6b70.jpg

The marrow bone in the back is to buy Henry's silence for a couple hours

044.thumb.JPG.e94d4de640ccca59f328967e95c5e1c2.JPG

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

12 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I love drinking wine out of these types of glasses.  Small tumblers.  Use to be an Italian restaurant in Toronto that we went to that served wine in similar glasses.  

Dim, dim recollection...decades ago on a business trip to nowhere, lunch to pass the summer hour, small train station in the south:  picked up and drained what I thought was the water glass.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A dinner of two extremes.

So we have this friend who shows up freshly landed at the airport and we have to take him out to dinner as one would.

He fancies fish and we go to the seaside fish place and order a large serving of fried shrimps hot and spicy with a 2kg grouper for three people.

We clean up both with a helping of coconut curry sauce and some salad and Parathas to dunk the sauce.

LJJ0fSc.jpg

htDrxpK.jpg

The fish shack does not do dessert and I have to have a dessert to finish my meal. So as usual, back in the car to the French Patisserie and we had:

- Éclair au praliné

jAvquly.jpg

- Mousse chocolat framboises

4SEeWvv.jpg

- Gâteau au Chocolat Gourmet

rdU6qgO.jpg

..........quelques heures plus tard.........I went to sleep counting Macarons......

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

Stovetop grill pan seared tuna, cilantro/lime rice, salad. Downside of being a Thanksgiving guest, not a lot of leftovers. We wound up with the leftover stuffing (which I froze). Although I do have a slice of cheesecake to split with DH later. I resisted Mom’s entreaties to take the half of the cake that remained.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Thanksgiving was never my thing.  I love the holiday, not necessarily the menu.  I am blessed enough that my mom is still healthy enough to make the bulk of this dinner.  It is always and over excess of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, a couple of veggies, gravy, rolls, coleslaw, etc....

Always it is some brand storebought turkey which amazingly turns out great.  This year, she actually won an 18 lb "fresh turkey" from a local turkey farm.   Uh Oh....this means the playbook has a curveball.  Of course to me, it is opportunity.  I dry brined it with simple kosher salt and it was absolutely a hit.  I started the brine about 72 hours, let it sit out and dry in the fridge like 24 hours......and the result was a perfectly seasoned, juicy, crispy browned skinned roast turkey.   As my sister said "how do we know when it is done" (without the stupid red pop up thingy) I told here as what should be...let's go by a thermometer to be sure.

It was a hit.  It made a great gravy, stuffing, etc....I like Christmas much better where I make a ham and Prime Rib Roast but this was great.   As you can see....the turkey looked great!

IMG_3113 (002).jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Thanksgiving dinner.  DW didn't want turkey so I made prime rib.  Cooked low and slow at 225F in the BSOA.  Served with mashed cauliflower and a glass of a great Sierra foothills cab.  I made her a no-crust apple tart for dessert, I had a dairy free decaf cappuccino. 

prime-rib-whole-2.jpg.55c82215d315b7d06b61ccdfe0fe335f.jpg 

prime-rib-whole-3.jpg.fa95bd18dfa98f2815e139ed36e7a804.jpg

prime-rib-plated-2.jpg.81a38a34ee28ace1f501cb3a02ae2eae.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Georgian bread (bought).

An quick bread of sorts, with walnuts and celery, dill seeds and caraway.   

Butternut squash with beans and walnuts.

Cauliflower and eggplant, with roasted tomatoes, olives, lots of parapika, garlic and olive oil. 

IMG_20191122_152011.jpg

IMG_20191122_153124.jpg

IMG_20191122_153311_1.jpg

IMG_20191122_153602.jpg

IMG_20191122_153618.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I do like the concept of a low carb mash, but mine have been disappointing so far. Would you mind sharing your method ?

I microwave the cauliflower until done but not overdone. I use the Voltaggio method. I put butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried chives into the twister jar of my Blendtec. I blend on the lowest manual setting for about 50 seconds. 

This works with fresh or frozen florets, but with riced cauliflower you need to press excess water out before blending or it will be too watery. Then it’s still not as good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner11302019.png

If the cranberry sauce doesn't look like cranberry, it isn't.

Plate looks delicious! And cranberry looks like pomegranate... 

• Haha 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

Because Thanksgiving dinner was moved up sooner than I wanted, I was still finishing up at the last minute. I was still making gravy and slicing bread when people started arriving.  That is why I did not have time to take any pictures.  I brought ham back to the Thanksgiving table after many years absence. My uncle never ate any kind of fowl so we always had some ham along with the turkey. I started serving Heritage ham along with turkey because it is so good. People have started looking forward to it as much as the turkey.  This is a "Leftover Ham and Egg Salad" that is Charlie's favorite. I added some ham slices to my sandwich.  The following is a description of one of the farms that raises pigs for Heritage Foods.

Healthy Heritage Hogs

Unlike the overcrowded inhumane conditions of industrially farmed pigs, which makes up
97% of the dry, tasteless pork sold today, White Oak Pastures’ pigs forage on lush pastures
 and pecan groves, while also enjoying farm fresh eggs, nuts and grains. These
accommodations coupled with the mixed heritage breed of Tamworth, Berkshire, and
Gloucester Old Spot result in the most astonishingly healthy, full-flavored ham you will ever enjoy.

Ham n Egg Salad

Ingredients
2 c. Left over baked ham, diced very small
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped sweet onion
1/4 c chopped dried apricots Have used dried apples and or golden raisins.
Salt and Pepper to taste

20191130_170741.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 8