• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

@Margaret Pilgrim – your beanie weenie looks lovely.  I always love when I have leftover baked beans and can make it for lunch, but yours looks and sounds really special!

@robirdstx – that meatloaf meal looks perfect!  It needs a piece of pie to come in behind it!  And then that sandwich!  Wow.

@Shelby – I’m still convinced that you have access to some giant CSO that the rest of us don’t.  I can’t imagine fitting 2 cornish hens in mine much less fricking DUCKS!  Just gorgeous. 

@Norm Matthews – Cornish hens with Asian style orange sauce sounds just perfect to me.  Would you share the recipe? 

@scubadoo97 – your crab cake looks fantastic.  I can’t see a glimpse of anything vegetal in them.  Perfect.  No offense, but I’ve given up ordering crab cakes in Florida – the restaurants ineveitably include bell peppers in them.  SO wrong.  Great story – my dad and stepmom were eating in a new local (Sarasota) restaurant a couple of years ago.  They got to talking with some guy at the bar, who recommended the crab cakes.  He said he’d recently moved down from Baltimore, so they figured he knew what he was talking about.  The crab cakes came and were perfect – lots of lump, tiny little bit of bread crumbs, a little mustard and a touch of Old Bay.  When the guy got up and left, the bartender told them that he was the owner of the restaurant! 

@blue_dolphin – lovely onions and that pizza slays me.  What a great combination.  If you really feel like you need to lose one thing, I’d say keep the cheese and lose the bacon (or maybe just use a little less?).  One thing that goes great with the pear/bleu cheese combination is toasted hazelnuts. 

Night before last was breakfast for dinner.  Snacking before – pimento cheese and Ritz:

DSCN0433.JPG.e407858310b4f89fa637007e1d898314.JPG

Mr.Kim:

DSCN0434.JPG.fd5b79ef6595e35886164267cc45bc28.JPG

Fried apples, eggs, Benton bacon, and toast which was not quite as burnt as the picture indicates!

Me:

DSCN0435.thumb.JPG.0b9716f2886b20b69ebf9b93a88c864a.JPG

Both the fried eggs and the scrambled eggs stuck to my non-stick pan pretty bad.  I cooked in ghee.  Does this mean I need to replace the pan?  

I’m thinking that these freezer/easy meals that I’ve been making are what we are in for until Christmas.  I need to get the freezer cleaned out for when I finally start my holiday cooking (starting to panic about the delay):

DSCN0436.JPG.08eebe5184b2b7dc8a59fb7b06751983.JPG

Freezer chicken Kiev, CSO steamed rice, and broccoli.  The rice, while still slightly sticky, was a great improvement over my recent stove-top attempts. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I should have used either the bacon or blue cheese.

This simply does not compute. Tried it forwards, backwards, sideways. Nada

• Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

I understand.  It wasn't awful or anything but together, they made it little too salty for me and kind of overwhelmed the pear. 

Was just teasing you as I am sure you were aware. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I’m still convinced that you have access to some giant CSO that the rest of us don’t

I swear it's not 🤣

I'm panicking , too, as usual, about Christmas.  Remember when as kids it seemed like the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas was about 10 eons long????  What happened????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

I'm panicking , too, as usual, about Christmas.  Remember when as kids it seemed like the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas was about 10 eons long????  What happened????

With me, becoming middle aged did it.  Life started zooming by.  I honestly can't even get an ordinary dinner on the table with the same ease that I used to.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Norm Matthews – Cornish hens with Asian style orange sauce sounds just perfect to me.  Would you share the recipe? 

Here is the recipe.  Hoisin sauce is optional.

Cornish Hens with orange sauce

2 Cornish hens

3/4 cup fresh orange juice

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons hoisin sauce 

2 tablespoons minced orange rind

3 cloves garlic minced

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root

2 teaspoons oriental sesame oil

Mix marinade ingredients. Simmer on stove to reduce by at least half.   Bake hens according to package directions.  Before putting in oven, place slice or onion and slice or orange inside and rub outside with oil.  salt and pepper. Reserve some sauce for basting. Bake, basting with sauce every 15 or 20 minutes,   Serve with remaining sauce. 

Spinach: Blanch the spinach in salted boiling water only until wilted, 30 - 40 seconds. Drain quickly and shock in cold water. Squeeze out water. Cut into 3-inch lengths. Toss with 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds and salt and pepper to taste.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

2 Cornish hens

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup soy sauce

3 cloves garlic minced

Mix marinade ingredients. Simmer on stove to reduce by at least half.   Bake hens according to package directions.  Before putting in oven, place slice or onion and slice or orange inside and rub outside with oil.  salt and pepper. Reserve some sauce for basting. Bake, basting with sauce every 15 or 20 minutes,   Serve with remaining sauce. 

Spinach: Blanch the spinach in salted boiling water only until wilted, 30 - 40 seconds. Drain quickly and shock in cold water. Squeeze out water. Cut into 3-inch lengths. Toss with 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds and salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks so much, @Norm Matthews!  It sounds great.  So, just so I'm clear - other than basting a few times and serving with the it, you do not actually marinate the hens in the sauce?

• Like 1

B1494DD7-C6FC-44CE-A5A6-3914082B608A.thumb.jpeg.1fb202e7a0a43a3d96b286c5403ae15e.jpeg

Something very simple tonight.

Toasted ham and cheese melts and one piece of toast with Robertsons thick cut marmalade. In the end I was only able to eat one melt and the marmalade. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Inspired by this post from a couple of weeks back

I made a batch of roasted onions with balsamic vinegar and sage

IMG_1636.thumb.jpeg.1f2657a068cb313632a2151f1cbd854e.jpeg

IMG_1638.thumb.jpeg.f194d2dc82a100911cbd0032fbb8cc37.jpeg

They became the bottom layer in this pizza al taglio with pears, bacon and blue cheese

IMG_1640.thumb.jpeg.7aa0c9c08a430b527d6c892e959ec433.jpeg

IMG_1641.thumb.jpeg.72d088e3b0cba8273205435d66a6cfb8.jpeg

I should have used either the bacon or blue cheese.  It didn't really need both. 

On the plate with a salad of arugula, persimmon, pomegranate and toasted almonds with a pomegranate vinaigrette

IMG_1642.thumb.jpeg.417320568a097aca4e072022a01716e1.jpeg

I want this. And I don't mean the salad, either.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Norm Matthews  Your post made me find my late 70's experiments.. I tended to overcomplicate then -. Perhas this will evoke a chuckle. They were really good. I was not someone who wrote down their recipes but my husband got really irritated and said "could we have the same thing I loved twice please?". OK so I tried...

test2.JPG

test.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

2 Cornish hens

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup soy sauce

3 cloves garlic minced

@Norm Matthews, thank you for sharing the recipe.   This is definitely going to be on our menu over the holiday season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If only your glass had a proper stem.  Barbarians.

Sorry, it’s a rental house in Sonoma.  Very sorry.  Barbarians indeed.  But carrots were stupendous, purchased at CIA Greystone.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Simply POV    These Italian glasses have a certain presence and self assurance

245924079_ScreenShot2019-11-27at7_05_07PM.png.2de86991617a6755029ae3b0c1aead54.png

Surely they need self assurance with that thick rim!

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Thanks so much, @Norm Matthews!  It sounds great.  So, just so I'm clear - other than basting a few times and serving with the it, you do not actually marinate the hens in the sauce?

I used to marinate it for two or three days but I just serve the hens with sauce poured over it now. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@Norm Matthews  Your post made me find my late 70's experiments.. I tended to overcomplicate then -. Perhas this will evoke a chuckle. They were really good. I was not someone who wrote down their recipes but my husband got really irritated and said "could we have the same thing I loved twice please?". OK so I tried...

test2.JPG

test.JPG

My recipe used to be a lot longer and more complicated too. :)

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

My recipe used to be a lot longer and more complicated too. :)

I used to edge Sabra and Maraska into everything. It was a time when food information exploded. I'd have the news guy downtown LA call me when Gourmet came in!!! I worked near. Wow when there were news sellers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_liqueur

https://www.theliquorbarn.com/maraska-wishniak-cherry-750ml/ 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Inspired by Nigel Slater, The Little Book of Fast Food: a smoked salmon sandwich...

Dinner11272019.png

Toasted rye bread, smoked wild caught sockeye salmon, lettuce.  Alas no bacon for me.  But -- wait for it -- Momofuku ranch dressing in place of mayonnaise.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, chefmd said:

Sorry, it’s a rental house in Sonoma.  Very sorry.  Barbarians indeed.  But carrots were stupendous, purchased at CIA Greystone.  

A 5 year old Barolo (sans decanter - though perhaps it was opened for 12h+?! ) in Sonoma....Oy!

😝

• Haha 3

@Anna N  

congratulations on the Ham and Cheese Melts.

when I can remember , being famished and forgetting the extra step

a traditional H&C  , made in your personal style

mine being H&C , good quality fresh bread , lettuce , tomato ( the best you can find )

Mayo of course , possible some horseradish makes a find sandwich.

a much better sandwich would be one where you put the M&C in the Micro to melt the cheese

carefully stacking the H&C so the stack fits the sandwich perfectly 

and now you get a hot sandwich.

for some reason , with my tastes , the heating up of RB&Swiss , or Turkey& Swiss 

doesnt do as fine a job as Something from a Pig.

Mortadella , g(G)od's bologna , no pistachios please

is elevated if you Micro the M&C first.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4