• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Disaster has struck. I am emotionally devastated........

BtYJYCK.jpg

My better half advised me that we are having dinner with some friends tonight and it is at a modern Indian VEGETARIAN restaurant......

Vegeterian>>>>> Moi ??????

I am a born and bread carnivorous person so is all my family, relatives, friends, business associates as well as our dog and cat and the Squirrels in the garden.....

Time for a Kirialaison - Kristalaison.

Stay tuned for tomorrow......

Ughh, Garlic is for the evil eye and photography bragging rights.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Vegetarians is an old English descriptive word for members of a tribe who can't hunt.

(and vegans are vegetarians who are also scared of chickens...)😂

• Haha 6

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

52 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Felt lazy. Went out.

Along the lines of:

What shall I make for dinner? Ah! Reservations!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ronnie smoked some beef ribs and then I sous vide them for 24 hours or so.  Tender enough that I could have a bite or two :)

thumbnail_IMG_7048.jpg.2532053b4c2f99704f3b85627222eeb7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7049.jpg.7b63c48ae9ed49e9955abeb961fd9896.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7050.jpg.7fe6fe4abe099e976ec4372e5206272e.jpg

Ronnie's plate

thumbnail_IMG_7051.jpg.00c1627fa2f64c6274432ce4890f600c.jpg

My sad plate lol

thumbnail_IMG_7052.jpg.577de471398ece135155e92a770e71df.jpg

Been wanting pizza really bad.  Had some left over chicken so half was chicken, bacon (realized I can't do bacon with the periodontal stuff :( ), roasted cherry tomato and that zucchini butter that I made this summer for "sauce".  Other half was olive, mushroom and sausage.

thumbnail_IMG_7053.jpg.c13bdd5e08e306e1dd8bac33484b160e.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

23 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie smoked some beef ribs and then I sous vide them for 24 hours or so.

Oh my lord those ribs are to die for. Or to kill for. But the beans they got to go. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

37DB6CAB-C2A2-457C-84A7-4BB655C01499.thumb.jpeg.92f32244226e5d5e7521a30f527d169a.jpeg

Orzo salad planned over from lunch and reprised for dinner with the addition of some quartered cherry tomatoes. The whole thing was gently reheated in the Cuisinart steam oven. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Orzo salad planned over from lunch and reprised for dinner with the addition of some quartered cherry tomatoes. The whole thing was gently reheated in the Cuisinart steam oven. 

Between you and @liuzhou orzo has been calling me. It used to be a pantry staple. Thanks for the prompt.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

856836732_GreenPeppercornSteakNovember23rd20193.thumb.jpg.63979783144e9714ac1e6486e1624ab8.jpg

Tonight's dinner.  

574041449_GreenPeppercornSteakNovember23rd20191.thumb.jpg.45c64b5128c5fad06aaf4284ec2fe64b.jpg

Green peppercorn steak.   We were eating within an hour after I got home from work.

Would have been sooner but I wanted to roast some potatoes in the CSO.

I have never tried green peppercorns, but oddly I ordered some form Penzeys earlier this evening.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

.....and now I found that the world is round........

........after few tablets of digestives.......

Modern North Indian Vegetarian restaurant cataclysm.....well the presentation was Moderm......kind off...

I tried claiming leg pain and start of a cold as well as temporary amnesia but was dragged kicking and screaming to the Indian restaurant.

I have no idea what most of the dishes ingredients were about and I was very much missing a Chicago Dog....Yummy.

So here are some night shots of the food.

These are some dishes names for the people in the know who can decipher the names as I gave up on trying.

So in no particular order of dishes:

- Pav Bhaji  Fondue. You pick a piece of bread and dunk it in the Dal based mush and shovel it with some pickles down the throat.

ItdKkQB.jpg

- Panner Tika Paratha. That your friendly cheese sandwich North Indian style. No Brillat - Savarin I am afraid.

K8jU2wd.jpg

-  Pani Puri thingy. Under the flying saucers you have different sauces to fill the Puri.

6jwv0eC.jpg

- It is a Chat. Either Bakarwani Chat or Dahi Papdi Chat as we were served both and I don't know which is this one.

You pour the Yogurt in the glass jar and shake and serve and eat.

zU78leP.jpg

- Dal with Paneer and something eaten with a Paratha

oA04uMR.jpg

- Dessert: Jalebi with Rabdi

fGv1cQW.jpg

- Drinks: Lassi with a pink straw for me as being a Feminist supporter. as per the Governor instructions!

3BYSg9K.jpg

Damages: A large box of Rennie digestives and violent sweet dreams of juicy Rib eye steak and Lamb Shanks or Kebab for one......

CHmtG4v.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have never tried green peppercorns, but oddly I ordered some form Penzeys earlier this evening.

@JoNorvelleWalker, I'm going to assume that since you ordered from Penzeys that you ordered the dried version.

So much better than the ones sold in brine.   I don't like the flavour that the brined green peppercorns impart.   I can't always find dried locally so I order them from a spicy company in Alberta.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Enchiladas made with chopped, leftover pork roast,  cheddar and sauce made from ancho chile pods.

20191123_164134.jpg

20191123_160718.jpg

This looks great, Mike.

Can you share more about the sauce?  I have leftover pulled pork from Taco night last night and this looks like an ideal usage for a dinner this week...

• Like 1

Something quick tonight (after having a lot of guests over the weekend a bit of “me”-time was needed ..):

Potato pancakes - salmon & sour cream version for my wife ...

1ADE87B1-312A-4B13-8915-58D0BDEED859.thumb.jpeg.ce4d01d15dc1dd25994327bdd5a0905f.jpeg

And Kümmelbauch with herb butter for me.

87ECA66A-960C-4636-8357-167FB8291B7E.thumb.jpeg.4070b1201e3d9fd7e37ba6641bd1c4a9.jpeg

Now relaxed & full !

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, I'm going to assume that since you ordered from Penzeys that you ordered the dried version.

So much better than the ones sold in brine.   I don't like the flavour that the brined green peppercorns impart.   I can't always find dried locally so I order them from a spicy company in Alberta.

Yes, the green peppercorns I ordered from Penzeys were dried.  I did not have any plan in mind when I ordered.  How did you make your sauce?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

47 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, the green peppercorns I ordered from Penzeys were dried.  I did not have any plan in mind when I ordered.  How did you make your sauce?

@JoNorvelleWalker, you can find the recipe here:

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2019/02/green-peppercorn-steak.html

• Thanks 1

Tonight’s dinner is brought to you by the Nielsen Tastebud Recipe Generator. 

The data input question was:

What tastes are calling out to me?

The data output came back as onion, mushroom, Balsamic vinegar and blue cheese. 

So I cut up an onion and some mushrooms and tossed them on a baking sheet along with some olive oil, some balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper and roasted them at 400°F until I was happy with the result. Then I crumbled some blue cheese over that and let it melt out in the oven. My plan was to serve this over toast but when I opened my microwave to retrieve my bread (yes a microwave makes a fine bread box) I discovered a baking potato (microwave also makes a fine place to keep a potato cool and dark). And so the recipe generator evolved and became roasted onions, mushrooms balsamic vinegar and blue cheese over a  baked potato. 

A4496325-516F-463E-83AB-FE6EF427B171.thumb.jpeg.7835c3d412d5ef0f3a4f3f9d8b6d5c56.jpeg

Sour cream in the left rear - probably overkill but it’s a baked potato dammit. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

We must share a blob of DNA.   I have a recipe generator just like that in my head.   Sometimes my husband will ask me what I'm doing and I tell him I"m cooking in my head.  He has no idea of what I'm talking about but I'll bet you do!  Finding creative ways to use up leftovers is one of my favorite things to do.  The better they taste, the less of a chance that I will ever have the exact mix again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I used ancho and guajillo chiles 4 or 5 of each. I then used half of the resulting chile paste. The rest went in the freezer. 

1/2 onion

3/4 box of chicken broth

1 tablespoon Better than Bullion Beef

2 clove garlic

1/2 stick of butter

Canola oil to keep the butter from browning

Handful of flour

Salt/cumin/Mexican oregano/chile powder

I softened them in the instant pot with water using the rack thing to keep them submerged. 15 minutes with natural release.

Blend them with some of the water until smooth.

Run through a fine mesh strainer to remove skins and seeds.

I heated butter with a little bit of oil and sweated some diced onion until soft. Then add chopped garlic and flour to make a roux.

Wisk in chicken broth and thicken. I then added some beef better than bullion and the chile paste. 

Season with salt, cumin, Mexican oregano and some chile powder.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

(yes a microwave makes a fine bread box) I discovered a baking potato (microwave also makes a fine place to keep a potato cool and dark).

Kindreds!    When we close up our weekend place, crackers, chocolate and other open soft-packaged non-perishables go into the microwave.    It's mouseproof!      Basics are already stored in glass or metal.   

eGullet member #80.