• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

We had some folks over for dinner last night.  The calm before…:

DSCN0385.JPG.ff468483b9c017b57b9cc3584d45c63e.JPG

Started with @Michael Ruhlman's cheese souffles:

DSCN0388.JPG.2c5536210249e2114c3da824d07dbfce.JPG

Bourdain’s Boeuf Bourguignon:

DSCN0394.JPG.fdf2ca56fddb77e3d315e05bcedeff7b.JPG

I served it with what the package called “spätzle”:

DSCN0395.JPG.aa28c634c76dcd764ec8bf141568f85f.JPG

They weren’t, but they were good.  I usually buy kluski noodles when I want a sturdy egg noodle but couldn’t find them anywhere.  These were a good substitute. 

I also did Jessica’s roasted mushrooms on the side, so folks could add them, if they were so inclined:

DSCN0393.JPG.8b625a531c961c231e3fa4bd5a5934c6.JPG

They smelled so much like escargot that I tasted one.  They were decidedly NOT like escargot. 🤢

Butter lettuce and tomato salad with the Momofuku dressing:

DSCN0391.JPG.6f6efb5ce82a4a5665c608b46d9a05d1.JPG

Brussels sprouts au gratin from @slkinsey:

DSCN0392.JPG.258d36ebd685458d641ddd2618ed27a9.JPG

Bread machine brioche:

DSCN0389.JPG.2d34f8784439cc10a613617c28e015a0.JPG

@Lisa2k's Fig/Mascarpone/Apple Tart with Green Apple Ice for dessert:

DSCN0396.JPG.2525fe401e10c1b7d6fc28a9a600e97b.JPG

DSCN0397.JPG.be8e8236bf59e6c4ad9f34d473b70591.JPG

For lunch today we went to a new cheese shop.  Dinner tonight was just stuff set out from the shop and leftovers from last night made into soup:

DSCN0403.JPG.1c83d12c134eede969de17a6f5542dde.JPG

Baguette and cheeses:

DSCN0401.JPG.cad3efac402733186a1ddb26ae342d1d.JPG

Taleggio, Red Dragon (Cheddar and mustard seeds), Valdeon, and Robiola Bosina. 

Butter, pimento cheese (a homemade brand I got at a local Holiday Bazaar), dates, fig jam, oatcakes, and dates. 

DSCN0400.JPG.6d737fa4a1aaa790b34fdbcc20760927.JPG

Dessert was a triple chocolate croissant bought at the same bakery that made the baguette:

DSCN0404.JPG.53018e9f9f05d3192931bc5bcdb659f7.JPG

DSCN0406.JPG.c9df14cb28b5d12ad1c8b615d002b7bc.JPG

• Like 16
  • Delicious 6

Had leftover corned meat from the boys Sandwiches. Decided to go for the opposite of a deconstructed corn meat dinner not sure what the word is? Amalgamated? Corned Beef Dinner En Croute? Just pie 🤷‍♀️

Corned beef in a mustard sauce with Carrot & Corn & Chard slapped in some flakey because Pie. 

20191118_181908.thumb.jpg.cf7b55a90fb8205695d29a3f64406f1d.jpg

Also thats a side plate not a dinner plate 😂

• Like 10

Yesterday I put together Ina Garten's recipe for 1770 House Meatloaf.

I baked if off last night and had some for dinner.  

I was disappointed in that it was a bit dry and dense.

What I may have done wrong is used too lean beef (93% because it was what I had on hand).

I didn't think I had compacted it too much.

Question:  I mixed up the full recipe amount of beef/pork/veal and divided it in half.  I saved one half of the meat mixture and put it in the freezer.  I mixed only half the recipe for dinner.  When I make the other half, what can I do to add moisture and perhaps loosen up the mix?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lindag said:

What I may have done wrong is used too lean beef (93% because it was what I had on hand).

Question:  I mixed up the full recipe amount of beef/pork/veal and divided it in half.  I saved one half of the meat mixture and put it in the freezer.  I mixed only half the recipe for dinner.  When I make the other half, what can I do to add moisture and perhaps loosen up the mix?

My first thought was to add some mild Italian or breakfast sausage, but given this is a pretty mild mixture, the spices might change the flavor profile more than you wish. Can you get just plain pork fat and grind and mix in? 

Non-meat-fat methods...I might try a panade with soft white bread and half-and-half (for that extra dib of fat) or heavy cream (for more fat).

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

45 minutes ago, lindag said:

A couple of eggs and soft bread crumbs.

• Like 4

How to get me to eat tasteless vegs: put lots of cheese in it! I used both Emmental and Gruyère in this. Unfortunately, the cauliflower is yellow so you can't really see much here.

pGh0pyL.jpg

In Sevilla: lightly seasoned flour-dusted deep fried cuttlefish and dogfish.

FkvvfUo.jpg

Xzhu2wR.jpg

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Brussels sprouts au gratin from @slkinsey:

DSCN0392.JPG.258d36ebd685458d641ddd2618ed27a9.JPG

Kim, have you put this recipe in your linked-to Kim's Cookbook? It looks delicious.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Dinner. Had to be easy coming off a wedding weekend, my daughter’s.   Not much food in the fridge but lots of booze brought back home plus a lot of cake 

Congrats!

Dinner tonight...I make this sandwich in some form every time my husband is traveling for work.  I love it, he hates it because I made it too many times when we were in college.  Roasted mushrooms, gruyere, dijon, arugula.

1898492736_mushroompanino.thumb.jpg.ca328d9430e8c51f0e66809bc2026ab0.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, lindag said:

Perhaps you didn’t use “good” olive oil...

but seriously, she adds panko and no milk. This is not a panade.  And why panko , whose main characteristic is spiky fragments that brown well? The value of panko is on the surface of a piece of meat, not inside it.  I think the lack of a true panade is why it was dense. 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:38 PM, Okanagancook said:

I think I’d like to learn more about your nachos...what kind of cheese for sure and seafood selection?  Is there a white sauce on there too?  Thanks in advance 

Colby jack as the cheese for a basic mornay sauce, with surimi for the fish.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Here you go!  It was under his 'real' name rather than his eG handle!

Thank you, Kim!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 11/18/2019 at 10:48 AM, lindag said:

I know for myself that my hands are NOT the proper tool to mix meatballs or meatloaf with.  I use the honkin' big fork that came with my everyday cutlery set.  Gets the meat(s) and other things aerated without compacting them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I know for myself that my hands are NOT the proper tool to mix meatballs or meatloaf with.  I use the honkin' big fork that came with my everyday cutlery set.  Gets the meat(s) and other things aerated without compacting them.

Yes!   I use a two-tined fork, like this, to aerate many compact or dense foods, like mealoaf, or to fluff rice.

1585854892_ScreenShot2019-11-19at12_26_28PM.thumb.png.16c9f29c17d52b67a95d2e9024b466c9.png

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.