• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well now you sent me down the rabbit hole cuz those look like mustard seeds at the bottom-  picked ones were which were a "thing" a while back. Has to happen again. Sweet hubby!

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/06/pickled-mustard-seeds.html

Ingredients: ramp bulbs, distilled vinegar, water, sea salt, mustard seed, dill seed, and pepper flake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I have a wonderful husband:

DSCN0378.thumb.JPG.2016820b5de1af41d759355d3b0f9035.JPG

I put this on my Amazon wishlist thinking maybe someone would get it for me for Christmas.  It came in the mail today❤️.  It is especially timely because I'm making The Dressing for a dinner party on Saturday!  

I've dared not open mine.  Can't wait to hear!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

@liamsaunt  fantastic sear on the scallops.  I struggle to get a great sear without over cooking the scallops.  Clarified butter?

I use regular butter to sear mine and it always goes well. I think the milk proteins help out.

19 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

@liamsaunt  fantastic sear on the scallops.  I struggle to get a great sear without over cooking the scallops.  Clarified butter?

It's all about how hot your pan is.  If your pan is screaming hot, add a bit of either clarified butter or my preference, rice bran oil and butter mix - and you should achieve your desired browning.

Ensure not to overcrowd the pan, and if you have a thick heavy pan - even better. 

51 minutes ago, gfweb said:

And I keep scallops in fridge uncovered for an hour or so to dry them a little

Good idea as well.  Pat them dry really well before searing.

Wonder if a bit of salt while sitting uncovered would help by removing a bit of moisture and condensing flavour....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Good idea as well.  Pat them dry really well before searing.

Wonder if a bit of salt while sitting uncovered would help by removing a bit of moisture and condensing flavour....

Roellinger recommended doing this in one of his recipes, and I found the result a very disappointing texture.      A good wipe down does the trick, but also try to buy "dry pack" scallops that haven't been soaked in a chemical liquid.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

Just now, Kim Shook said:

Remember that steak and cheese sauce and broccoli and cheese sauce I made?  We have a lot left over.  What do you think about freezing them?  

My first impulse would have been to eat them ...

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I just use regular butter with a small splash of oil in a very hot pan.   I also dry them well and salt them for a bit before sautéing.  I get my scallops from a fish share so they are very fresh and not chemically treated, which also helps.  

• Like 1

10399AC7-83A9-4D5C-A13A-4D9B7E9D9DE7.thumb.jpeg.903afe18be912d1f48b0421e9f76750f.jpeg

Finally got around to making the Momofuku ranch dressing using scallion greens and cocktail onions. While it is very tasty it is also very runny. Did anyone else find this? I used kewpie mayo. 

Spotted some treviso  at the supermarket on Wednesday. I know it’s expensive. I read the price. And still I was shocked to discover two small ones cost me almost 6 dollars. But I really like it and I’m not going to whine more than I have!  Cut one in half and brushed with olive oil and grilled (on the A4 box) along with some halved campari tomatoes. Dressed with the ranch dressing and added a few Lays Sour Cream and Onion  potato chips for some crunch.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

@Anna N    Did you use the dressing immediately or let it set up?     Usually there is citrus/milk reaction that thickens it over a (short) time.

I used it almost immediately probably within the hour. There are leftovers in the refrigerator so I will see what it’s like tomorrow. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

10399AC7-83A9-4D5C-A13A-4D9B7E9D9DE7.thumb.jpeg.903afe18be912d1f48b0421e9f76750f.jpeg

Finally got around to making the Momofuku ranch dressing using scallion greens and cocktail onions. While it is very tasty it is also very runny. Did anyone else find this? I used kewpie mayo. 

Spotted some treviso  at the supermarket on Wednesday. I know it’s expensive. I read the price. And still I was shocked to discover two small ones cost me almost 6 dollars. But I really like it and I’m not going to whine more than I have!  Cut one in half and brushed with olive oil and grilled (on the A4 box) along with some halved campari tomatoes. Dressed with the ranch dressing and added a few Lays Sour Cream and Onion  potato chips for some crunch.

Anna, did you use nice, thick, whole milk buttermilk?  If the dressing is too thin I would try adding extra mayonnaise.

What is Treviso, other than a town near @teonzo?  Google was not much help.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou