• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It all started out well...

Comice pear with blue cheese

photo-4.thumb.JPG.28bc70911d8cb2d121f18460287d9b00.JPG

Then the ham needed to be glazed and shooting pics went out the window.

So dinner = spiral sliced ham and baked yam loaded with butter.

Between us, I HATE spiral sliced ham.   Husband loves them since he has a sweet tooth and the accompanying glaze.    I find we have one meal straight out of the oven, another of some kind of ham casserole and then the balance gets sent to son or trashed as it dries so much faster than whole or intact ham.   Just my take...

Yeah , completely agree. Spiral ham is an abomination. Good for buffets and in laws. 

• Like 3

Dinner11112019.png

Yotam Ottolenghi, Eggplant with buttermilk sauce -- the cover dish of Plenty.  Not the first time I've prepared Eggplant with buttermilk sauce.  And not that I would second guess a master but I do make a minor alteration to the recipe.  Ottolenghi calls for roasting the eggplant at 200F.  Should you roast your eggplant at 200F you shall sit to a late supper.

Served with good bread.

As much as I enjoy Ottolenghi's buttermilk sauce, can you imagine this dish with David Chang's buttermilk ranch dressing?  I can.  And I have another eggplant.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner11112019.png

Yotam Ottolenghi, Eggplant with buttermilk sauce -- the cover dish of Plenty.  Not the first time I've prepared Eggplant with buttermilk sauce.  And not that I would second guess a master but I do make a minor alteration to the recipe.  Ottolenghi calls for roasting the eggplant at 200F.  Should you roast your eggplant at 200F you shall sit to a late supper.

Served with good bread.

As much as I enjoy Ottolenghi's buttermilk sauce, can you imagine this dish with David Chang's buttermilk ranch dressing?  I can.  And I have another eggplant.

Typo, 200 degrees celsius...US should be 400 degrees F. Beautiful plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner11112019.png

Served with good bread.

As well, a home made Tahini sauce would also work really well in this dish! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Served with good bread.

Weird.  My copy of Plenty says to roast the eggplant at 400 degrees.  Your dish looks fantastic!

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner11112019.png

Served with good bread.

Is it possible he said/meant 200C which is roughly 400F?

Ooops, I see this is addressed above.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Typo, 200 degrees celsius...US should be 400 degrees F. Beautiful plate.

Thanks.  In the British edition of the recipe Ottolenghi calls to roast the aubergine  at 200C.  Obviously eggplant is more tender.  When I first made the dish I used the recipe from the US print version of Plenty.  But the Kindle version clearly states 200F.  Why a publisher can't fix an eBook typo after the fact I do not understand.

EggplantWithButtermilkSauce06262015.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

Weird.  My copy of Plenty says to roast the eggplant at 400 degrees.  Your dish looks fantastic!

Do you have the print version or the Kindle?

The other night at a Hunan place - it's not like most Americanized Hunan, but straight from the region - the owners and all employees are from there and are proud to only serve Hunan food...

20191105_191808.thumb.jpg.2522efb315512fb45627d7e74f2428c8.jpg

Rice noodles with chicken. I first ordered it spicy, but the very nice young woman at the counter got a horrified look and said that no one would ever eat it that way. She convinced me to get medium, and I'm very glad because it was at the edge of what I could tolerate. Holy crap.

20191105_191931.thumb.jpg.0cacb74eb27d895790cc65304fc4de6f.jpg

Home made shrimp/pork/chive dumplings. These were amazing.

20191105_191304.thumb.jpg.c5d504e79f833c52813978d8fb37c3b0.jpg

Washed down with a hawberry drink.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

37FE7108-9092-42DF-8E6E-1CC6406A6D13.thumb.jpeg.cf01b584d5138079c6e53045880d8484.jpeg

kimchi fried rice with a duck egg. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you have the print version or the Kindle?

5BCD6FF2-B3A5-496E-8120-8BB9F51F857A.thumb.jpeg.2a0d7a6955eda5f48e3113e3967c139f.jpeg

I don’t do kindle cookbooks. I read novels on my iPad (had a kindle but it died). I prefer actual cookbooks because I write in them. 

• Like 7

Tonight, I winged something - Our Indian cookbook has a Pilaf with Caramelized Onions and Broccoli 

We make a smaller amount of rice then one would want to do in a pot, so I made the rice in the rice maker, made the caramelized onions w/ cloves, green cardamom, and cinnamon.  The broccoli is fried with black mustard seeds and cumin.

This is all tossed with the rice, and was REALLY GOOD.  We'll be amping up the spices even more next time.

20191111_174440.thumb.jpg.d27dee2f684ccfbb3ec6fab6033e05b7.jpg

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

5BCD6FF2-B3A5-496E-8120-8BB9F51F857A.thumb.jpeg.2a0d7a6955eda5f48e3113e3967c139f.jpeg

I don’t do kindle cookbooks. I read novels on my iPad (had a kindle but it died). I prefer actual cookbooks because I write in them. 

I bought the hard copy of Simple and it turned out to be his only book I didn't like.  I usually read the hard copy from the library before ordering the Kindle.

In the oven now is my LeCreuset Brasier filled with Sicilian Baked Sausage.

Italian sausage links, sliced sweet pepper (orange), onion, carrots, potato with s/p, dried basil and red pepper flakes.  Poured over a can of Italian diced tomatoes.  Smells yummy. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

Home. Tired. Lazy.

Fresh bread roll, kewpie, north sea shrimps.

Happy.

(disclaimer: a whiskey highball was consumed as well ...)

the north sea shrimp; are killing me! 

Between you and @BonVivant

• Like 1
  • Haha 1