• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Palestinian Cuisine: The Beautiful unknown and tasty cuisine of the Levant.

I admit that Palestinian is not the first cuisine that leaps to mind when I’m thinking of something good to eat. But after what I see above I could easily be persuaded otherwise (if you just hold the egg plant). It looks fabulous. I did get over my initial horror that there were chickpeas in that last photograph!😂

Thanks for all the marvellous meals that you post. They are always educational. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Aubergines for the French inclined

or English-inclined!

27 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Jordanian Mansaf

"Authentic" Palestinian food is Jordanian? I know they are neighbours, but...

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Nicolai I'm glad to see Palestinian restaurants coming into existence.As you said, it's a beautiful cuisine that deserves more recognition.

It makes usages of foraged herbs (such as wild zaatar, mallow, wild fennel and nettles) and local vegetables such as almonds, olives, green beans etc. It also makes great usage legumes and grains - lentils, chickpeas and both rice and wheat, including the delicious smoked freekeh wheat.

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

27 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

or English-inclined!

"Authentic" Palestinian food is Jordanian? I know they are neighbours, but...

Hummm. I rather avoid answering a politically loaded question.

Mansaf is a Bedouins dish. From Irak - Syria and Jordan - Palestine. Each country have their own twist on Mansaf.

Suffice to say that Palestine precedes the creation of Jordan and let's leave it at that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Hummm. I rather avoid answering a politically loaded question.

Mansaf is a Bedouins dish. From Irak - Syria and Jordan - Palestine. Each country have their own twist on Mansaf.

Suffice to say that Palestine precedes the creation of Jordan and let's leave it at that.

There was no political intent in my question, but I respect your right not to engage with it.

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Weird mix today of pizza in teglia and crab with Shanghainese dipping sauce, this is my house 😂 and in the picture my little chef showing muscles because he cleaned a claw for me and that requires a lot of effort 😁

1CFFC467-A62C-400B-ADBA-05042A0A84CB.jpeg

5B83E229-AC4C-44C2-8CB4-43FECA1D8DD0.jpeg

A7AFA78E-9226-4F5C-9478-68D97A2ED4CE.jpeg

C05FE5C6-1662-42E1-A63F-62833A91282E.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@francie, I am utterly charmed...by your food, as always...and by your son and his muscles and skills. :x

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Early dinner for son, three cherubs, as Mom is away.    Simple pork roast, mash, stuffing...just because..., carrots, gravy.     Happy three adults and compliant 8 year old.   One 6 year old ate meat as a default and had threes on carrots.   Second 6 year old ate pork, applesauce and soy sauce.   

Me. I've cleaned up and am ready to do some streaming....

photo-3.thumb.JPG.02192b5939efc52846b47e0449933d42.JPG

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

You did!  You said “the world’s best cheese” and to some that is definitely Roquefort. 

Two hundred sixty cheese judges beg to disagree...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/159777-american-made-cheese-named-worlds-best/

To my palate Rogue River Blue lives up to the award.  Not that I have anything against Roquefort or the French.  Nor most Canadians for that matter.

If I had to generalize I'd say Rogue River Blue was a little more like Stilton than Roquefort but even better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, shain said:

@Nicolai I'm glad to see Palestinian restaurants coming into existence.As you said, it's a beautiful cuisine that deserves more recognition.

It makes usages of foraged herbs (such as wild zaatar, mallow, wild fennel and nettles) and local vegetables such as almonds, olives, green beans etc. It also makes great usage legumes and grains - lentils, chickpeas and both rice and wheat, including the delicious smoked freekeh wheat.

Freekeh:

They did have two Freekeh dishes on the menu but there is so much we can eat and might order it on another visit.

They have the traditional one with Chicken and a modern one wit Cream And Mushrooms.

The reason I say "might" is based on an old love affair with Wheat as we use to roam the fields and strip open the Wheat kernels and eat them when they are still milky soft and a tad chewy.

The Freekeh was cooked with fresh Freekeh and you can imagine the taste difference with the commercial one.

A very old dish of Freekeh was a sweet dessert with the kernels still whole and not turned into mush and this was the main sweet at the table on Dec 4th of each year for Saint Barbara Remembrence Celebration.

There you go stirring up old nice memories of times gone by.......

• Like 4

It's starting to be hot soup weather.  In order to celebrate...

IMG_8805.thumb.JPG.3108198c933d4d09501d43464234ae38.JPG

Lentil soup, with lentils from an RG bean club shipment.  

A few nights ago, one of Significant Eater's favorite pastas...

UQMB1966.thumb.JPG.d4e36d21e2e4e960f6548ef03b00c855.JPG

Rigatoni all'Amatriciana.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

the Pepperoni posts have been killing me.

As there is no decent Pizza near me :

Dou1.thumb.jpg.f1c2edadf6ed61b996461f3ccf07ab99.jpg

Duo2.thumb.jpg.d11ee5770e0dc418622050c75ce27695.jpg

out of the box.  I use a Chicago Metallic  ( naturally ! ) deep dish Pan for the cooking

Duo3.thumb.jpg.ce0a9e2e9ff73781f287d8d6ab6bc578.jpg

proper redistribution , above

Duo4.thumb.jpg.696fdb9d403a54e7fd25e624a977ccf1.jpg

pan heated w shimmering EEEVOO , Kalamata , Tj's.  From the refrigerator , in the little plastic squeeze container you see pic 1 and 2  on the R

not oxidized. 

Duo5.thumb.jpg.773df39988be67bd5f7b3aabc34db321.jpg

CSO'd  until just right

Duo6.thumb.jpg.16ad9b8c8bee1f544fa8031c8c011dfa.jpg

Quartered w add-ons :  green  tabasco , red pepper flakes , Oregano ,  Kalamata EVOO

and a few Hoponius Unions  Ice Ice cold.

nice !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

LOL If trampolines were organic and had scientific names, "Hoponius" would have to be the genus.

• Haha 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Pizza al taglio with caramelized pears, balsamico onions, rosemary and pecorino sardo (and some sausage/tomato/rosemary area, just in case). Eaten on the sofa, yet very well received 😉

1A05E31C-BCAA-44F2-8655-0BFE13F21912.thumb.jpeg.a39be259125dd3b356b8e48e60b5d8fd.jpeg

78D53E9B-71DD-4157-9F27-678B7DEFC6C2.thumb.jpeg.e0d3ce9a7189eddd0a601855f21826df.jpeg

FDDD5087-D3E6-4956-89BE-0C1A4821CFC0.thumb.jpeg.815a756b51712c7d0e5e3e8b016d13b9.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

I baked a lot this week.  One night I made homemade crescent rolls to have with soup

202402160_crescentrolls.thumb.jpg.da22f3bbfd2584538dd381f5caa47163.jpg

Yesterday I baked a loaf of rye bread for my parents

944425962_ryebread2.thumb.jpg.b6827a379ddfb11483d5cd36fd30f540.jpg

I also made a fougasse

fougase.thumb.jpg.516a150237f5de3485a477c429276374.jpg

Which we ate with pasta and meatballs last night

spagbol.thumb.jpg.223ff59089a470d1b4a51a7e36fb6396.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 6

Hen House grocery had big packages of "Smoked Hocks" so I got some.  They used to have big honking ham hocks and these looked like they might be some like before, but they turned out to be mostly bone and skin with a bite or two of meat and it was smoked pork not ham.  They were good anyway. They didn't have any collard greens so I went to two other stores before I found some.  At the other store that didn't have any, they said it was because of the season, weather and the ones they got in were not good enough to put out.  Those were bogus excuses. This is just the season and weather for collards.  I used navy beans because Charlie doesn't care much for black-eyed peas and besides, it isn't New Years.😋

20191110_162517.jpg

• Like 8

It all started out well...

Comice pear with blue cheese

photo-4.thumb.JPG.28bc70911d8cb2d121f18460287d9b00.JPG

Then the ham needed to be glazed and shooting pics went out the window.

So dinner = spiral sliced ham and baked yam loaded with butter.

Between us, I HATE spiral sliced ham.   Husband loves them since he has a sweet tooth and the accompanying glaze.    I find we have one meal straight out of the oven, another of some kind of ham casserole and then the balance gets sent to son or trashed as it dries so much faster than whole or intact ham.   Just my take...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.