• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Yesterday’s dinner was all done by my son. He is 12 years old. He worked so much for it, honestly it was more than edible,  after dinner he was so tired and a little unhappy on how some dishes turned out that he said he is taking a break from cooking for a while. On the menu: tea eggs, marinated cucumbers, braised lotus roots, steamed rice and cha  sao ( he didn’t want to go with my recipe and went for something he found on YouTube), just a tiny sweet 🤣

Your son is an impressive cook at age 12!!  The tea eggs look great.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@robirdstx,  those ribs look incredible.  

I had dough in the fridge since Monday, that was intended for Pizza.

Moe wasn't that hungry tonight and just wanted a salad.

1559888695_GreekPotatoPizzaNovember7th2019.thumb.jpg.30dbe5974925e275db085660ba917dac.jpg

Made Matt his favourite Greek Potato Pizza.

1705111385_GreekPotatoPizzaNovember7th20193.thumb.jpg.b262b01857c46c5e608dec2228b6ef7a.jpg

17" pizza baked on stones on the grill.

34512731_GreekPotatoPizzaNovember7th20192.thumb.jpg.faed703d02216377cb5e5d85a6d871bf.jpg

Rim Shot

1357368464_FocacciaNovember7th2019.thumb.jpg.85ebe275e87acf71a4537f5ec99a1698.jpg

And made a focaccia with the remaining dough.  It is still in the oven. 

• Like 16

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Except for the whole beer thing, I believe I have a German soul.  Just freaking amazing.  

Happy that you enjoyed the post.

I am not into Beer drinker although tried to force myself and tried most types including Lager -- IPA - Guinness - German - Chezck.........and simply dislike the taste of Hops.

I also do not drink Whiskey or Whisky or Cognac.

I am more of an Armagnac and Wine person with Rum - Vodka and Tequila as chasers......And of course Sake and Arak.

• Like 2

Hsiao-Ching Chou's simple stir-fried greens, a favorite recipe of mine.  Chou's family is Taiwanese but at the suggestion of a Hongkonger friend I substituted oyster sauce for soy sauce.  I think I like it even better.

In my youth I never would have dreamed a piece of plant and a little seasoning could have been so good.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, heidih said:

@Nicolai  What kind of cheese do you think was on the spaezle  Looks so integrated   Yes walking home a must :)

The most common choice (and from the look of it employed here as well) would be Bergkäse (usually a harder variety, in taste and texture close to Gruyere) ...

Edited by Duvel (log)

As always, I'm enjoying all of the wonderful meal pictures.  I had four hours of dental surgery on Tuesday, so I'm living (eating) vicariously through you guys  :) 

The day before dental hell.  My last chance at steak, salad and corn for a while.

thumbnail_IMG_7006.jpg.c03813a1f9df068d2525f36ff7964cb8.jpg

After surgery....

What I wanted to eat:

thumbnail_IMG_7013.jpg.39f029bddf8b19331c56a8b659798db0.jpg

What I tried to eat:

thumbnail_IMG_7011.jpg.2485db475422bfeb1a9c8b236268d385.jpg

Last night was a bit better.  

I was hungry.

I like to look at @Kim Shook's recipe site for ideas and had been looking at this .  I am not supposed to eat anything crunchy or any meat that shreds or really anything it seems like lol.  I changed the recipe up, but I thank Kim for inspiring me :)

I used corn tortillas and venison burger that I cooked with onions, de-seeded hatch chile peppers and taco seasonings.  Oh and a dash of salsa.  I opened a can of refried beans, spread some on a tortilla, spooned the meat mixture on top and then sprinkled shredded sharp cheddar.  I repeated that with another tortilla and then put one on top, spread with more salsa and some rotel cheese dip (I can't have chips but you can bet your ass I spooned that cheese right in my mouth, chip or not lol).  Baked for about 20 mins.  along with RG beans and some rice.  Ignore any green stuff on my plate.  Old habits die hard...I had forgotten that I can't eat that either.  Sigh.

thumbnail_IMG_7018.jpg.cb0ec318008fc16d16d44a0a3c4185be.jpg

I am, however drinking wine.  I am not supposed to do that either due to a medication.  I don't care.  I am a rebel.

• Like 12
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Nicolai said:

Happy that you enjoyed the post.

I am not into Beer drinker although tried to force myself and tried most types including Lager -- IPA - Guinness - German - Chezck.........and simply dislike the taste of Hops.

I also do not drink Whiskey or Whisky or Cognac.

I am more of an Armagnac and Wine person with Rum - Vodka and Tequila as chasers......And of course Sake and Arak.

This could be me.  I don't like any of the dark liquors.  I've always felt that I don't really fully qualify as a Southern girl because I don't drink bourbon.  I always thought I didn't like sweet potatoes until I became an adult and tasted someone's other than my family's.  It turns out everyone in my family puts bourbon in their sweet potatoes.  I love sweet potatoes - I just don't like bourbon! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This recipe   for 1770 House Meatloaf arrived in my inbox this morning.

As I've mentioned before, I love just about anything Ina Garten does (except she uses too much lemon for my tastes).

I plan to resize the quantity to half and mix this up this weekend.

I love meatloaf and especially made into sandwiches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

This could be me.  I don't like any of the dark liquors.  I've always felt that I don't really fully qualify as a Southern girl because I don't drink bourbon.  I always thought I didn't like sweet potatoes until I became an adult and tasted someone's other than my family's.  It turns out everyone in my family puts bourbon in their sweet potatoes.  I love sweet potatoes - I just don't like bourbon! 😄

Whatttttt! They put Bourbon in sweet potatoes!!!!!!!!

No way.

Try this recipe:

Soft boil or roast 750 g cubes sweet potatoes and dress with:

I tbsp Honey - 2 tbsp Lemon juice - 2 tbsp EVOO - 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard - S&P

and enjoy your salad......

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, Nicolai said:

Whatttttt! They put Bourbon in sweet potatoes!!!!!!!!

No way.

It's a very common recipe in the American south.  If you Google "sweet potatoes with..." the first thing that comes up is "bourbon".  Or maybe that's just south of the Mason-Dixon Line 😄.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

half a pound of the world's best cheese

Your bread looks great, but if I eat that much Roquefort I prefer to have a big steak under it ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Your brrad looks great, but if I eat that much Roquefort I prefer to have a big steak under it ...

Bear with me.  I just received an amazon order of dry aged ribeye.  And who said anything about Roquefort?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And who said anything about Roquefort?

You did!  You said “the world’s best cheese” and to some that is definitely Roquefort. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Palestinian Cuisine: The Beautiful unknown and tasty cuisine of the Levant.

Palestine known for many things is rarely celebrated for it's food. And yet, It is food perfected over generations and it is what we call Cooking.

Most of today's food worldwide is not really cooking but what I call Assembly Food or fried stuff.

Real cooking such as French or Italian - Persian or Syrian and other cuisines is deep from the confines of the Terroir. We all know that authentic (I dislike this word) dishes originate from what grazed and grew in nearby fields.....

Palestinian food similar to Syrian food is home bred and grown.

I was utterly shocked, for example, to find Mohamara which is a pure  Aleppian dish offered in the VIP lounge of Narita airport for crying out loud!

We had a very nice dinner at a newly opened restaurant offering Palestinian food:

Never mind the ubiquitous starters of Hummos and the likes. The mains were:

1- Mnazalat  Eggplant

Eggplant or Aubergines for the French inclined: This is an Aubergines and Lamb Stew in a clay pot cooked in the oven and covered by rising bread dough a la Kashmiri rice type.

hCIeTkc.jpg

v4mSkke.jpg

2- Jordanian Mansaf.

Lamb cooked in re-hydrated Yogurt on a bed of Shrek bread and rice. The lamb is marinated in Karak Jmeed. Karak being the original Goat yogurt from the town of Karak. The rice is drowned with the Karak Yogurt as well.

What a Royal dish and is in fact the National dish of Jordan.

tYakFNV.jpg

3- Mosakhan:

Chicken on Shrekk bread cooked with tons of onions - Pine Nuts and Tons of Sumac. 

This is a very famous Palestinian dish which did make it outside the borders of Palestine.

yDRaSS2.jpg

4- Maftoul: This is a unique labour intensive dish whereby the Bulgur is swirled petit à petit with white flour until the flour is fully absorbed by the Bulgur and the hand swirling effect turns the Burghul bead into a small ball. This is then steamed and doused with the chicken broth.. It is served with a tomato sauce of luscious hummos.

47pznvu.jpg

xgNAohk.jpg

Dessert: Tamrieh Fried pastry filled with Semolina.

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4