• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

It's one of the reasons why I feed my kids everything and do not let any of my foibles impact them (too much... 😛)

I agree with you completely. I will never understand why parents do that.  I have a friend who used to tell her kids that they wouldn't like anything she found distasteful - which was almost anything that wasn't meat and potatoes (she's worse than me).  This was the person who put my bahn mi sandwiches in the microwave when I was out of the room and then chided me for bringing cold sandwiches to a party.  We used to take the girls to ethnic restaurants whenever we had them and they were surprisingly open to trying new things.  

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I have Kewpie on my shopping list.  I haven't a clue where I can find pickled ramps though.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/154258-ingredients-via-internet/?do=findComment&comment=2218002

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@robirdstx

what a fantastic looking pizza !

and delivered to boot !

there is no really good pizza place near me any more.

a pizza place was sold as the family retired , being there every day of the year

Xcept Christmas 

had outstanding pixxa for a zillion years.   its replacement is not worth the sodium load and more expensive

the rest wrung here are mediocre when they are at the top of their game

Unknown-1.jpeg.1ad527ac4291e8d35bf32e52c483bab0.jpeg

a shame it is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, robirdstx said:

F629A95B-A167-428C-A55D-8F4A6AD11C8D.thumb.jpeg.59b40f88b5a4e3117bd7218a34a4352d.jpeg

Pizza - delivered - thin crust, pepperoni, sausage, onion, mushroom - yum!

That looks great, my holy trinity of pizza toppings is pepperoni, sausage and mushroom.   What is interesting, is this is definitely one instance where canned/jarred mushrooms are preferable to fresh mushrooms.  

4 minutes ago, Owtahear said:

That looks great, my holy trinity of pizza toppings is pepperoni, sausage and mushroom.   What is interesting, is this is definitely one instance where canned/jarred mushrooms are preferable to fresh mushrooms.  

Thanks, but I find fresh mushrooms preferable.

@IowaDee

you hit the nail right on the head :

"  little pepperoni cups glistening with tasty grease! "

and that intoxicating aroma of that grease sublimating along w the aroma of " Spice "

Walmart's , near me , has some of those tiny food food places :

Subway ,  some sort of fried chicken , and pepperoni pizza

they must aerosolize the pepperoni / cheese aromas

and its difficult not to be beguiled.  even w no slices visible.

• Like 1

Inspired by some of @shain's cooking - I have made this dish twice now and am happy enough to report on it!

Roasted Korean Sweet Potatoes - consider that the base/canvas!

A variety of toppings placed, in no particular order:

- Tahini sauce

- Roasted pumpkin seeds

- Caramelized balsamic onions

- Tamarind sauce

Talk about a tasty treat, and a healthy meal to boot!

• Like 4

Inspired by the conversation on the Avance Grill with  Rotisserie thread I’m going to roast a chicken on my vertical roaster in the oven tonight.  Can’t stop thinking about it.  Maybe it’ll convince me that I don’t need the PAG after all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@lindag

what is your vertical roaster system like ?

I don't have a large over , as I never got my standard gas 30 " oven igniter fixed.

pretty dumb , but there it is.

I have done vertical chicken on the Weber many many times

I think it does outstanding chicken , and being outside I can add some wood pellets.

but , again , no tantalizing aromas in the kitchen !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@lindag

what is your vertical roaster system like ?

I don't have a large over , as I never got my standard gas 30 " oven igniter fixed.

pretty dumb , but there it is.

I have done vertical chicken on the Weber many many times

I think it does outstanding chicken , and being outside I can add some wood pellets.

but , again , no tantalizing aromas in the kitchen !

It’s this one.

I bought it about six years ago and have never used it.

• Sad 1

Nice !

this is my current model :

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-0880-CS-Stainless-ChickCAN/dp/B0009JXYR8/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=vertical+chicken+roasters&qid=1573069903&sr=8-26

it has a wide ' insert ' area for the chicken.   it was desired to hold a Beer Can 

thus Beer Can Chicken , which I made many times w a beer or soda can on the Weber.

the beer can added nothing , and the wide ' stent ' cooked the inside of the chicken faster

make sure your have something to catch the fat coming down from the chicken 

and inexpensive aluminum " Pie " plate works well , just a bit larger then the ams width of the chicken

consider removing as much fat from the chickens ' dairy-air ' areas as thus

less clean up !

please post your results if you are able.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Nice !

this is my current model :

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-0880-CS-Stainless-ChickCAN/dp/B0009JXYR8/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=vertical+chicken+roasters&qid=1573069903&sr=8-26

it has a wide ' insert ' area for the chicken.   it was desired to hold a Beer Can 

thus Beer Can Chicken , which I made many times w a beer or soda can on the Weber.

the beer can added nothing , and the wide ' stent ' cooked the inside of the chicken faster

make sure your have something to catch the fat coming down from the chicken 

and inexpensive aluminum " Pie " plate works well , just a bit larger then the ams width of the chicken

consider removing as much fat from the chickens ' dairy-air ' areas as thus

less clean up !

please post your results if you are able.

I ran to my neighborhood IGA and bought the only whole chicken they had...just over 3 lbs.

Then mixed up a wet rub of s/p, sage, thyme, rosemary and olive oil.

into the fridge for about four hours then it’ll go into the oven.  Not sure if I’ll use beer or wine.

Since you say the beer doesn’t add anything,, maybe wine is best.

• Like 1

@lindag

there is no need to add anything to them bottom of the 

" Stent "

it will not affect the flavor of the chicken

however , a splash of wine , table please 

might add to the aromatics of the chicken cooking

it might drive you a bit crazy ,  sniffing that up 

but its for the Kitchen aromas , not the chicken.

• Like 2

Red plums, blue cheese

675794041_photo1.thumb.JPG.945e7d2e2ebc36cab8b89f8597e83fbc.JPG

Cheese blintzes, caramelized apples, sour cream, bacon

1851359230_photo2.thumb.JPG.da00a1720922c813395b35d52d7be72d.JPG

Truth be told, I hated these blintzes.     I used to make them often and loved them, but this recipe called for sugar and vanilla in the filling.    For me, a major yuck.    Maybe I'll find my old recipe/procedure for essentially savory blintzes that you sweetened with applesauce or other fruit accompaniments.     Husband thought these were okay...  Not I.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

eGullet member #80.

Breakfast for Dinner when your better half abandons you to have dinner with her friends.......

I was not too hungry and opted to have a Lebanese Manoucheh which is more of a breakfast fare and also eaten at any time of the day/night.

Manousheh Zaatar

Labneh

Tomatoes- Cucumbers - Black Olives and fresh plucked mint leaves

Simply love it........

JwXLtsQ.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2