• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

IMG_2142.thumb.JPG.dd342a6cfd99baa2e9b2ec1c2a5c1543.JPG

Part of yesterday's dinner: red sea bream sashimi, skin on and skin off! The process for making this (seemingly very plain looking) fish was as follows. After buying the freshest fish I could find, I scaled, gutted, cleaned and filleted it and took out the bones. Then I performed a technique called ‘Yubiki’ to cook the skin on one of the fillets, and took the skin of the other fillet. That skinless fillet was ‘aged’ with the help of a Pichit sheet, which removes a lot of moisture and consequently firms up the texture and increases the flavor.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Leg of lamb roasted in the fireplace on a jury-rigged roasting jack (repurposed electric Farberware rotisserie)

1635727242_ScreenShot2019-11-02at7_50_36AM.thumb.png.27db9f7b321e8aa1cb1f7387eb73bc35.png

1242478812_ScreenShot2019-11-02at7_50_51AM.thumb.png.903b69a8eda412996e04e128790f2dba.png

OK.  You win the internet!!!!   WOW.....that's awesome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did a Trader Joe's run today (restock wine, etc.) and I picked up Thai-style carrot and sweet potato soup and a small container of gooseberries (among other things). Feeling lazy, and as dinner was to use some thin sliced chicken breasts, I cut the chicken into thin strips, sauteed, threw in a bag of shredded "antioxidant mix" veg (doesn't matter what they were at this point, shredded to oblivion), a couple of splashes of fish sauce. The soup went in to the pan, simmered a couple of minutes, added the halved gooseberries. Served with brown rice. The gooseberries were really good in the (inauthentic) mix, a tart offset.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

21 hours ago, gfweb said:

@liamsaunt I have concerns about mashed potatoes as a pizza topping. For a start they don’t add much grease to the final product. 

My mashed potatoes are filled with butter and cream.  That's what makes them tasty!

Tonight, husband requested the menu: cedar plank grilled salmon on a bed of rosemary with a maple-ginger-garlic glaze, eggplant fries, simple broccoli, and mashed potatoes (3 lbs. yukon gold potatoes, riced, 2 sticks butter, 1 cup heavy cream, copious salt, for six servings plus leftovers). I cooked, he cleaned, all are happy.  

salmon.thumb.jpg.3d21624d59c276d67cfe7ae44c376025.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

20 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Mashed potatoes on pizza are one step away from the garbage can. Pineapple pizza, on the other hand, is otherworldly, but only if the fruit is fresh and tart. Yes, I moved from NY to CA and I changed. 

I love potatoes on a pizza.  But haven't tried mashed potatoes.   But will be trying soon.   As for pineapple, you couldn't pay me to eat pineapple and ham on a pizza. 

@Duvel, amazing pizza.   Love the idea of oxtail.

Tonight's dinner.

1017688130_NewYorkstripsteakNovember3rd20191.thumb.jpg.01711e59f1d49194bf51713ef59cff6c.jpg
Moe and I shared a Grilled New York strip.

1695324743_NewYorkstripsteakNovember3rd20192.thumb.jpg.9cb194628d5c393c2bdf78563da73ee1.jpg

Sides were Parisienne Potatoes, and tempura zucchini and onion rings.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I spoke of possibly cooking my chicken thigh on the Philips Grill.  I did not.  Chicken and Kenji fries were prepared on the Paragon:

Dinner11042019.png

My power did not go off like it did for @ElsieD but my dinner suffered an amusing eventuality:  after frying the chicken and during the second fry of the potatoes, the Paragon beeped and shut down.  Apparently the Bluetooth adapter ran out of charge.  It is possible to recover in this circumstance by plugging the Bluetooth adapter into the wall, but I just switched control to manual and let the pot of oil run full blast.  Dinner is always interesting.

Tonight's trauma is that my next shipment of kewpie mayonnaise will not arrive until tomorrow.  That and that in the morning I get to clean up the spilled oil.

• Like 10
  • Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

These petite duck breasts, purchased at the previously mentioned D'Artagnan flash sale,

uhtNMeP.jpg?1

were used to make

9QpkPes.jpg?1

A duck and tofu hot pot, in the donabe.  Finished with soba noodles in the remaining broth brodo.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This pizza discussion is reminding me to "never say never".  I eat so many things now that I would have bet you I wouldn't eat on a dare.  Some very elegant things and some extremely trashy offerings.  I have tasted pineapple and ham on a pizza and didn't care for it at all - the combination of canned pineapple and tomato sauce wasn't pleasing to me.  But I'm betting if someone made me a white pizza with fresh pineapple and thin sliced country ham, I'd like it just fine.  

@shain – is that dill in your tzatziki?  The last time I made my tzatziki, I thought it needed a little zhushing up.  My recipe has no ‘greenery’ other than cucumber.  It is an old Martha Rose Shulman recipe that we’ve loved for years, but I found it a little flat last time. 

Dinner last night was mostly from my toys – 2 Instant Pot things and a sous vide. The sous vide was some huge pork chops that I had rubbed with Penzey’s Bavarian spice. 

Using the IP, I did pintos with a huge smoked ham hock and green beans & potatoes.  The pintos I’d done before – they were fantastic:

DSCN0260.JPG.a99be73db2d80050dbb53377160a3fc3.JPG

The green beans took a little longer than the recipe called for to make me happy, but I got there. 

I made the Momofuku ranch dressing and served it with some veggies.  It is weirdly addictive.  I don’t have the ramps (I put them on my wishlist and Jessica promises we will find some fresh next year and pickle them ourselves), so I made it with the cocktail onions and green onions.  Definitely greater than the sum of its parts:

DSCN0261.thumb.JPG.b3f874200276119006dc92485ca03c0c.JPG

Another side was this sweet corn cake:

DSCN0264.JPG.6eb2f116195f4271da35b52cec9bfc12.JPG

This was from a package I found at Kroger.  It is a Chi-Chi’s product.  Nice and moist with lots of corn flavor. 

Dinner plated:

DSCN0265.JPG.7359ec182c10307beaa7ddafe3e5fbe9.JPG

With sauce:

DSCN0266.JPG.e5619c413b0c71fc565e081d2496fb25.JPG

I say “sauce”, but I have to confess that it was made with the fond from searing the chops, some cheap white wine, and a few spoonsful of jarred pork gravy.  The chops were incredibly tender and moist:

DSCN0268.JPG.9e0e6656cf7d59c7ac2f415fc31b0bf0.JPG

What sous vide does for regular old supermarket meat is amazing. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My power did not go off like it did for @ElsieD but my dinner suffered an amusing eventuality:  after frying the chicken and during the second fry of the potatoes, the Paragon beeped and shut down.  Apparently the Bluetooth adapter ran out of charge.  It is possible to recover in this circumstance by plugging the Bluetooth adapter into the wall, but I just switched control to manual and let the pot of oil run full blast.  Dinner is always interesting.

Tonight's trauma is that my next shipment of kewpie mayonnaise will not arrive until tomorrow.  That and that in the morning I get to clean up the spilled oil.

I was wrong to blame King Harald.  User error.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/150644-another-player-enters-the-sous-vide-field-paragon-induction-cooktop/?do=findComment&comment=2221806

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@shain – is that dill in your tzatziki?  The last time I made my tzatziki, I thought it needed a little zhushing up.  My recipe has no ‘greenery’ other than cucumber.  It is an old Martha Rose Shulman recipe that we’ve loved for years, but I found it a little flat last time. 

Mint and dill.

- 2 cucumbers (the small kind, Persian, I believe)

- 2 small courgettes (make sure it's tasty enough to eat raw, otherwise use more cucumbers)

- 1 tsp salt

>> Grate, mix with salt and let drain.

- 400-500g thick yogurt

- 3 minced garlic cloves

- leaves from two small bunches of mint, minced (~40g)

- leaves from one small bunch of dill, minced (~20g)

- salt and pepper to taste

>> Mix with the salted cucumbers. Season to taste. Add a bit of vinegar if it's not tart enough.

>> Let it sit for at least an hour.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

On 10/20/2019 at 5:21 PM, Dante said:

Thank you!  This has become my default method for making pizzas. :) 

2 cups flour

tsp baking powder

7 tbsp olive oil

2/3 cup beer

mix flour and baking powder

drizzle and blend in olive oil

add beer,mix thoroughly in to a ball

let rest about ten minutes

roll out as pizza crust

cook in oiled skillet for about three or four minutes

flip, do same with other side

add toppings 

let cook on low for about five minutes

Although you can just cover the pizza and let the heat melt the cheese, I still prefer to put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to finish it. 

I tried this today and the crust was kind of bland. Looking back other pizza dough recipes I've used have salt.  Is salt missing from the ingredients intentionally?  

6 minutes ago, tonyrocks922 said:

I tried this today and the crust was kind of bland. Looking back other pizza dough recipes I've used have salt.  Is salt missing from the ingredients intentionally?  

Sorry, yeah, a bit of salt would work. I just only rarely use salt at all in my cooking (I make up for it using other seasonings), but no reason exists not to use it.

• Thanks 1