• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

22 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I bought fontina for stuffing the poblano peppers that I had but I couldn't envision how one stuffs fontina (which was by no means soft) into the poblanos.  I also had some muenster slices which were softer.  For stuffing do you grate the cheese, cut it into little chunks, or do something else?

All of the fontina I have come across has had the texture of Monterey Jack or as you suggest muenster.    I cut off slabs roughly 1/3" x 4" x 1 " per pepper.   

eGullet member #80.

24 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

All of the fontina I have come across has had the texture of Monterey Jack or as you suggest muenster.    I cut off slabs roughly 1/3" x 4" x 1 " per pepper.   

I've been reading on Wikipedia that young fontina is soft.  My fontina was not.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, Norm Matthews said:

That reminds me of a Chinese restaurant where I used to live. They had two menus, one for regular people and one for Chinese customers.  We always asked for the Chinese menu then had to have everything explained to us. Some of the food had a lot of those little red chilies.  They were good but I had to take them in moderation. 

When I go to a Chinese restaurant that already doesn't have one provided, I always ask if they have an "authentic" or "traditional" Chinese menu.  That's usually were the good stuff is.  Unfortunately, unless you are near a big city, they don't have this.

• Like 1

To tempt @ElsieD, Philips grilled tuna, two and a half minutes per side:

Dinner11012019.png

Wild rice.  Ten minutes.  (I was horrified to read Diana Henry seethes forth her wild rice for thirty five.)  Simple stir fried zucchini.  All of which served as a vehicle for a prodigious amount of Momofuku ranch.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, Owtahear said:

When I go to a Chinese restaurant that already doesn't have one provided, I always ask if they have an "authentic" or "traditional" Chinese menu.  That's usually were the good stuff is.  Unfortunately, unless you are near a big city, they don't have this.

What needs to remembered is that most of the cooks in those Chinese restaurants have never been to China or eaten "authentic" Chinese food, so couldn't offer it if they even wanted to.

Chinese Cusine and Chinese Americann cuisine are two very different things.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I am currently visiting with family and my sister made dinner for us last night. She used her Philips Pasta Maker to make fresh pasta. First time I had seen one of these machines in action! She used a basic A/P flour, semolina and water recipe. I was a bit skeptical because there was no egg, oil or salt. But, the pasta absorbed a lot of flavor from the olive oil sautéed vegetables and was very good.

A76EBDC7-D0EA-4191-8F84-EFE03C02D26A.thumb.jpeg.c1b0ee3794356dc4600da86d77a45fda.jpeg

Fresh Spaghetti with Shrimp, Grape Tomatoes, Spinach, Button Mushrooms, Red Bell Peppers, Garlic, Capers, Pine Nuts and Red Pepper Flakes, topped with Parmesan and Fresh Ground Black Pepper. Lots of Olive Oil was used to cook the vegetables!

• Like 8

I also tried to do la zi ji, and I learned some things that will make it better next time.   Mine is not a photogenic as liuzhuo for sure....and I added some snow peas to give us some veggies, and didn't have leeks but scallions.   Also, I think I darkened some of the chilis too much!!!!

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

28 minutes ago, Owtahear said:

I also tried to do la zi ji, and I learned some things that will make it better next time.   Mine is not a photogenic as liuzhuo for sure....and I added some snow peas to give us some veggies, and didn't have leeks but scallions.   Also, I think I darkened some of the chilis too much!!!!

Did you use fresh chillies there? Some look fresh. La zi ji is made with dried chillies.

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Did you use fresh chillies there? Some look fresh. La zi ji is made with dried chillies.

I mixed dried and fresh.   I had the traditional dried "facing heaven" chils I got online and mixed in some bird chilis.  Funny story, so when I was stirfrying them in the oil, the fresh chilis started exploding, and when they did, they released vapors then overtook the kitchen even though I had the hood on and I started to gag and choke!   It also made it more spicy than I (or probably anyone) wanted.  Lesson learned!!!

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Owtahear said:

they released vapors then overtook the kitchen even though I had the hood on and I started to gag and choke!

I regularly walk past neighbour's homes and nearly choke on chilli fumes. It's just part of daily life here! I do the same to them!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 4:12 AM, liamsaunt said:

Yesterday I baked up some potato burger buns topped with sesame seeds.  This was my first time making burger buns and I was happy with how they came out.

626318456_potatobuns.thumb.jpg.90fc7d11fddafcc700fce11dab96640a.jpg

Filled up with buttermilk and jalapeño marinated fried chicken, lettuce, pickles, and for the sauce I put together a batch of the Momofuku ranch since @JoNorvelleWalker keeps talking about it.  It was really tasty and kind of addictive.  Now I need to buy more Kewpie mayo...

20347290_chickensandwich.thumb.jpg.045e11529b228a19f4361a5a6c9e262e.jpg

@liamsaunt I showed this to a friend and she loves it.  She wondered if you had a recipe for the potato buns to share.  THanks. 

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

What needs to remembered is that most of the cooks in those Chinese restaurants have never been to China or eaten "authentic" Chinese food, so couldn't offer it if they even wanted to.

Around here all the Chinese restaurants are run by Chinese people from China (as opposed to California or whatever).  Might be different in Kansas or someplace though

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

To tempt @ElsieD, Philips grilled tuna, two and a half minutes per side:

Dinner11012019.png

Wild rice.  Ten minutes.  (I was horrified to read Diana Henry seethes forth her wild rice for thirty five.)  Simple stir fried zucchini.  All of which served as a vehicle for a prodigious amount of Momofuku ranch.

Good thing I don't like tuna.😁

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, David Ross said:

@liamsaunt I showed this to a friend and she loves it.  She wondered if you had a recipe for the potato buns to share.  THanks. 

I used an America's Test Kitchen recipe for potato dinner rolls.  As you probably know, they keep all their recipes behind a paywall.  I will paraphrase though:

Boil a peeled, chopped 10 ounce russet potato until tender.  Drain and reserve cooking water.  Measure out 5 tbsp. water and set aside to cool (discard the rest).  Mash the potato and measure out one packed cup (discard the rest).  Mix the potato with 2 tbsp. butter and set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, mix 2 1/4 cups bread flour with 2 tsp. instant yeast and one tsp. salt.  

Mix one egg and 1 tbsp. sugar in to the 5 tbsp. cooled potato cooking water.  

Mix the cooled mashed potato into the flour.  While mixing, slowly add the liquid to the flour.  Knead 2 minutes, then set mixer to medium low and knead 8 minutes.  Knead by hand briefly, then transfer dough to greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.

Deflate dough, then press into 12" log.  Cut dough into nine pieces and form into smooth balls.  Place on baking sheet, cover and let rise until doubled.  Brush balls with beaten egg and top with sesame seeds if desired.  Bake at 425 15-18 minutes and let cool on wire rack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dinner a few nights ago – salad:

DSCN0222.JPG.ebd430a28030efed03c57f445946134b.JPG

Kielbasa and onions, creamy Parmesan noodles (package mix) and roasted parsnips:

DSCN0223.JPG.bcc733807c14b17f1eeef4fb14488b22.JPG

So, I’ve been looking for this cool little tool for a while now.  Something mandolin-like to slice small cucumbers, carrots, radishes, etc. for salads, but small enough that I could keep it in my knife drawer where I could get to it easily:

DSCN0226.JPG.22ed569c3da08e67884f472dd4812027.JPG

It was hard to tell in the packaging how thick it would cut, but it was only about $4 at Marshall’s.  This might not be the one I really wanted:

DSCN0227.JPG.80bf7ad9e9a8a2ccc5dd26fa3fe9c74e.JPG

LOL.  A little TOO thin, I think.  Oh, well, it might come in handy for some other use. 

Dinner for pumpkin carving night on the 30th.  I had a whomp tube of orange Danish rolls I needed to use:

DSCN0229.JPG.23e82ddc8e9767f5a64f85878c7ad8aa.JPG

So, roast chicken, leftover Parmesan noodles, and those hilarious vegetables:

DSCN0232.thumb.JPG.11bcd86cf7da01d8939a7a75744d4d8c.JPG

Last night.  Snack for us while handing out the candy:

DSCN0251.thumb.JPG.fe49f1929ca38b1911f93a9a48058b2e.JPG

DSCN0252.JPG.7854b1b3669784c1c28c1166e5f5bc80.JPG

This had a total of 3 ingredients: corn, sugar, and baking soda.  I seriously have no idea how those three things could taste as bad as this did.  I told Mr. Kim that he would recognize the flavor, but that Jessica wouldn’t.  He got it right away – stale puffed rice with the amount of sugar your mom thought was appropriate instead of enough to make it edible. 😬

Asian-style salad kit we like a lot:

DSCN0253.thumb.JPG.db4d63272d0198f67b31a91a2f69f39b.JPG

I had the craziest experience yesterday.  I planned to make egg drop soup and wanted some of those wider fried noodles to put in the soup.  I also wanted to get some Kewpie Japanese mayo to make Bang-Bang shrimp and the Momofuku Ranch dressing.  It took me FIVE Asian markets to find the Kewpie and I never did find the noodles.  I finally just bought egg roll wrappers and made my own:

DSCN0239.JPG.c5374352eb8f09a6cf41252716d6daa1.JPG

Which ended up being a nice little snack because my soup sucked☹️:

DSCN0255.JPG.810efdb5fbc8d7f7226ead6e7e84c957.JPG

For one thing it had WAY too much egg in it.  It was like some kind of egg porridge, which all three of us just found unappetizing.  I also think that while using boxed chicken broth is fine in some applications, in this soup – where it is the main and forefront ingredient, it just doesn’t work – you need to use a really good homemade stock. 

Bang-Bang Shrimp (frozen fried shrimp) and Pork Potstickers (frozen):

DSCN0257.JPG.ce3fc7dc9a4becbb158f5d67887d5f29.JPG

Very good.  The funny and sad thing is that the only thing that I actually MADE was the only terrible item of the meal🙄.  The frozen/packaged things were really good.  Sigh.

Not pictured is dessert: Kit Kat bars, Milky Way, Snickers, Reeses Cups, etc.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I used an America's Test Kitchen recipe for potato dinner rolls.  As you probably know, they keep all their recipes behind a paywall.  I will paraphrase though:

Boil a peeled, chopped 10 ounce russet potato until tender.  Drain and reserve cooking water.  Measure out 5 tbsp. water and set aside to cool (discard the rest).  Mash the potato and measure out one packed cup (discard the rest).  Mix the potato with 2 tbsp. butter and set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, mix 2 1/4 cups bread flour with 2 tsp. instant yeast and one tsp. salt.  

Mix one egg and 1 tbsp. sugar in to the 5 tbsp. cooled potato cooking water.  

Mix the cooled mashed potato into the flour.  While mixing, slowly add the liquid to the flour.  Knead 2 minutes, then set mixer to medium low and knead 8 minutes.  Knead by hand briefly, then transfer dough to greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.

Deflate dough, then press into 12" log.  Cut dough into nine pieces and form into smooth balls.  Place on baking sheet, cover and let rise until doubled.  Brush balls with beaten egg and top with sesame seeds if desired.  Bake at 425 15-18 minutes and let cool on wire rack.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

… or, if you have the Stern's book Road Food check out the recipe for kummelweck rolls for beef on 'weck.  Great potato rolls and only difference is caraway seeds and crunchy salt on top.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

11 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Sous vide duck breast with roasted garlic potatoes (that were tossed in the rendered duck fat for those extra calories) ... yummy 😋

436E0F5D-1126-4724-B262-9C0D5FBDAAD8.thumb.jpeg.e5d9250651205e0e90f7b0361c540491.jpeg

Very nice fat rendering!  Did you render the skin prior to SV or after?

• Thanks 1

Dinner with family. 

Burnt eggplants with yogurt, tahini, pomegranate molasses.

Tzatziki.

Coconut rice with onion, cranberries and almonds.

Chopped salad.

Grilled kebabs, chicken skewers and halloumi. Didn't get to take a photo.

Laffah breads.

Vanilla panna cotta with mango and passion fruit.

IMG_20191019_125053_1.thumb.jpg.e2e2399299841293d0ad90e5c6741a16.jpgIMG_20191019_125206.thumb.jpg.ff545717bafb772d34a23b7b1c477109.jpgIMG_20191019_130701_1.thumb.jpg.58e645cae99ed1d34527f939a857ede8.jpgIMG_20191019_195058.thumb.jpg.ff6383169f74aef681ab351b85e0ddac.jpgIMG_20191019_140306_1.thumb.jpg.7d80ad5532d62dd55426e205d46a7a4c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 5

~ Shai N.