• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Apple salad (ersatz Waldorf)

656710997_photo1.thumb.JPG.6e78d6d4827f6ae69d370e652291fd86.JPG

Chili relleno, "Spanish rice"

1386207859_photo2.thumb.JPG.7bfdfffdebd5a95d943b95896d78a559.JPG

I'd love to be able to make chilli relleno at home.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

CBC86CCD-B190-4291-962D-0B50DF7F4F86.thumb.jpeg.b3414b52c4052165ccd3c2e43dc81253.jpeg

The glass in the drawing is a Dubbeglas, the tradional 0.5 l glass for new wine and Schorle (wine mixed with sparkling water) in the Palatinate. I prefer smaller glassware (and more refills).

Wish I could boast of a 0.5 liter glass!  At the moment I'm imbibing from a 16 ounce Baccarat tumbler, which is barely 0.473176 liter.  Myself I prefer larger glassware (and more refills).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Spicy turmeric chicken with shiitake mushrooms over orzo. The chicken thighs were rubbed with turmeric, cayenne, sea salt and olive oil and left for about half an hour, then braised for about 3-40 minutes. Shiitake were added for the last four minutes. Finished with Chinese chives and coriander leaf.

20191030_203508.thumb.jpg.ff95871d9f54147db93efebbc0fe045d.jpg

20191030_203516.thumb.jpg.8c149551d31291853049502ed5a927cd.jpg 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd love to be able to make chilli relleno at home.

You jest.    No apparatus or skill required.    Peppers blackened over gas flame or under broiler; skin slipped off; peppers stuffed with cheese, rolled in flour, dipped in egg/flour batter*, sauteed stove-top.   

*flour mixed with egg yolk then whipped egg white folded in

Ah...lightbulb moment, are you saying you can't source the peppers?

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, Kim Shook said:

two requests, please.  Do you share your crab Louis dressing recipe and what kind of sauce is on your wonderful looking meatballs?

Louis dressing, from the Gourmet Cookbook, 2004

1 cup mayo

1/4 cup ketchup-style chili sauce

1/4 cup minced scallions

2 Tablespoons minced green olives

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon bottled horseradish

Salt and pepper to taste

Meatball sauce...Hmmm...no rocket science here.    Probably just deglazed pan with splash of water, then a big splash of heavy cream, let reduce a bit.    If the meatballs weren't highly seasoned, would probably have sauteed a bit of onion or shallot or garlic before adding liquid.    I'm a very seat-of-the-pants cook.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You jest.    No apparatus or skill required.    Peppers blackened over gas flame or under broiler; skin slipped off; peppers stuffed with cheese, rolled in flour, dipped in egg/flour batter*, sauteed stove-top.   

*flour mixed with egg yolk then whipped egg white folded in

Ah...lightbulb moment, are you saying you can't source the peppers?

I can get poblano peppers, but they don't look big enough.  What cheese do you stuff them with?

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

I've just had a thought . . . once I've shaped the pizza dough (but before I've put on the toppings), should I leave it to rise? E.g. for half an hour or so? @JoNorvelleWalker? @Ann_T?

No, once the dough is stretched out I top and then bake immediately.  I want a thin crust with a puffy rim. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

I've just had a thought . . . once I've shaped the pizza dough (but before I've put on the toppings), should I leave it to rise? E.g. for half an hour or so? @JoNorvelleWalker? @Ann_T?

I agree with @Ann_T, no.

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This time I had some Oaxacan on hand but fontina works very well.

I bought fontina for stuffing the poblano peppers that I had but I couldn't envision how one stuffs fontina (which was by no means soft) into the poblanos.  I also had some muenster slices which were softer.  For stuffing do you grate the cheese, cut it into little chunks, or do something else?

Yesterday I baked up some potato burger buns topped with sesame seeds.  This was my first time making burger buns and I was happy with how they came out.

626318456_potatobuns.thumb.jpg.90fc7d11fddafcc700fce11dab96640a.jpg

Filled up with buttermilk and jalapeño marinated fried chicken, lettuce, pickles, and for the sauce I put together a batch of the Momofuku ranch since @JoNorvelleWalker keeps talking about it.  It was really tasty and kind of addictive.  Now I need to buy more Kewpie mayo...

20347290_chickensandwich.thumb.jpg.045e11529b228a19f4361a5a6c9e262e.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

Had two 6 oz burgers defrosting and 4 French bread rolls my wife brought home the other day

Sooooo, 4  3 oz sliders with oven fries.  Tomato jam along with K/M the obligatory spreads and sliced Campari tomatoes in balsamic to complete the meal

A nice Zin was a good pairing as well

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1