• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

The low carb alternative for lazy days: Wurstsalat.

F001FB1B-4D4D-4BFF-A8B2-69D7AAF63A27.jpeg

Do you slice your own sausage or can you buy this (fabulous faux pasta) pre-detailed.     It looks like sausage I somehow ran through my pasta machine, which sounds like s monumental clean up.     Still..,.WANT!

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

H'mmm. I have had pasta salads that have within them diced summer sausage or cured/smoked sausage, as well as diced cheese (I've seen cheddar and Monterey Jack), along with diced gherkins, carrots, radishes, olives and so on, but they were always in a light mayo dressing. I like the idea of vinegar and a bit of oil.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

That reminds me of a Chinese restaurant where I used to live. They had two menus, one for regular people and one for Chinese customers.  We always asked for the Chinese menu then had to have everything explained to us. Some of the food had a lot of those little red chilies.  They were good but I had to take them in moderation. 

With this dish, the chillies are not eaten. The idea is to pick out the chicken meat buried within the pile of red chilli and Sichuan peppercorns. It is still spicy, though. The dish is from Chongqing, but found all over Sichuan and in almost every Sichuan restaurant elsewhere.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

With this dish, the chillies are not eaten. The idea is to pick out the chicken meat buried within the pile of red chilli and Sichuian peppercorns. It is still spicy, though. The dish is from Chongqing, but found all over Sichuan and in almost every Sichuan restaurant elsewhere.

I wish I had known that sooner. :)

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Do you slice your own sausage or can you buy this (fabulous faux pasta) pre-detailed.     It looks like sausage I somehow ran through my pasta machine, which sounds like s monumental clean up.     Still..,.WANT!

Both. In Germany it is easy enough to find a couple of presliced sausage varieties (and with or without added cheese), so I tooknthe lazy route. In Hong Kong I used to make this from leftover Leberkäse that I had to slice myself, and I would do the same here when sufficient suitable leftovers give me the opportunity. My mother never buys the presliced stuff ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Long day.

Dinner10242019.png

Philips-grilled spareribs.  Gnawed to the bone.

Bread10242019.png

Bread.  Cucumber and Momofuku ranch dressing not shown.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/23/2019 at 7:40 AM, Paul Bacino said:

So  Olympic Club in SF--  makes a rolled burger on a hot dog bun.  So I upped the game.   Made a Breaded Pork tenderloin    :)

48942945271_1de82f80d6_b.jpg

Nice.  That tube burger at Olympic is raved about by the members and guests. But its just a hamburger in a hot dog roll, and I think, gives less meat than a regular burger.  Your pork is a real upgrade.

• Like 7

„Make a wish“ at the Duvel household. The little one requested spaghetti with mussels, because he had that dish some weeks ago at an italian restaurant in the city. Quite an amazingly specific wish for someone who can‘t usually remember what he had for lunch. Mussels, anchovies, garlic, tomato, mirin, lemon, a bit of herb salt and fresh basil. There were no leftovers...

FE3CE85D-B4A3-426E-ABBC-362E5BBA0D6E.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

There were no leftovers..

Damn that leaves me out in the cold!

• Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I saw @blue_dolphin's post in the Trader Joe's thread about some cheese that she bought--New Woman.  It has Jamaican spices.  Spied some at the grocery store (not the 4 pack like at Trader Joe's, just that one cheese).  Put that out along with some Hatch Chile cheese.  Liked the New Woman...and the Hatch was good, too, but wish that the chile taste was more pronounced.  Will be good in cornbread or mac and cheese.

IMG_6963.jpg.8bd83798905bd58d856a154b70924b64.jpg

Followed by sous vide pork tenderloin

IMG_6964.JPG.8fe67195e57a5b5d3a3ae8b16b989b1f.JPG

Along with taters, the dwindling tomatoes and the very last of the squash :(

IMG_6965.jpg.b94cd0d646b107e2e1131ff4391a1fd3.jpg

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

D718109C-56F2-4184-8ADD-E13D87A8229F.thumb.jpeg.d28b0e89155a92be89bfb2038a89fbf9.jpeg

Roast beef and Gruyere on rye with olives on the side. See The Ladies Who Lunch topic for the source of my bounty.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

More tomato with mozz

photo-3.thumb.JPG.eee434c13bea4ee416b44b6512cf0677.JPG

Ling cod, shiso leaf, and hash browns, "kitchen sink" tarter sauce.   mayo, sour cream, sweet pickles, dill pickles, cornichon, green olives, capers, cocktail onions, fresh tarragon and dill.   

photo-1.JPG

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 10

eGullet member #80.

Ricotta ravioli...

Dinner10252019.png

Sauce from recent recipe of spareribs and sausage.  Ten year Parmigiano-Reggiano.  Fifteen year Pusser's (not shown).

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

青椒肉片 (qīng jiāo ròu piàn)

Sliced pork with green chillies. Pork tenderloin, large green chillies, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce and Chinese chives. A staple in every small restaurant, canteen and home.

20191025_192203.thumb.jpg.5297f1927c914678b90062df7ab89b6f.jpg

20191025_192217.thumb.jpg.5b654c9a56889ac34c62060c36860435.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Roasted cauliflower with toasted almond. A vinaigrette with sharp olive oil, capers, raisins, silan, chili, orange zest. 

Pasta with caramelized onion, garlic, chives, sage, toasted walnuts. Egg yolks to thicken the sacue. Some grated Mimolette (I had some frozen and it complements the onions).  

IMG_20191012_211205.jpg

IMG_20191018_142838.jpg

• Like 19

~ Shai N.

It feels a bit like winter!!!  Maybe snow next week!  Happy Dance!!!!

Ronnie has been wanting ham and beans for a long time.  Yesterday was the perfect day to have them simmering on the stove.  Started them around 2:30.  Onions, jalapeños, carrots, celery.  

RG beans--two different kinds, one of which I can't remember the name and am looking for help. I looked at their website and I can't locate them.  They came in the latest bean club shipment --Here is a picture

thumbnail_IMG_6966.jpg.eb128d961b36cdd4c0aa9bce686166fd.jpg

Anyway, loads of homemade chicken stock....a nice meaty hamhock from Father's and two big regular ham bones with lots of meat left on them.  A jar of my canned tomatoes added closer to the end. Bit of salt--not too much, the ham is salty, black pepper....a bay leaf or two.  Good stuff.  Was cozy feeling in the house :) 

thumbnail_IMG_6973.jpg.6c55d3c67560fc999a4c75a8e53bfe4e.jpg

Corn bread turned out good too   ( must have been a good luck cooking day for me lol) .  I used my usual recipe.  The only thing I did different (I think) is I baked it in the CSO using the bread function--400F for 22 minutes.  OH and I used some of that Hatch chile cheese --poked the squares all over the top.

thumbnail_IMG_6967.jpg.82dece7da542c281a55d8f7a42b2619e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6969.jpg.bc096b8efed8c97dd34a204fbe1adc56.jpg

Finished the soup with some green onions

thumbnail_IMG_6970.jpg.254ba225c0ba81ca3d1b4db1f082e794.jpg

• Like 20
  • Delicious 4

It's Afghani dinner time.

- Starters

1- Fried Okra with onions - tomatoes - coriander and chilli

uYGYnZm.jpg

2- Aubergine sauteed in tomatoes and topped with yogurt

jvIUjCX.jpg

- Mains

3- Kabul Palou with Lamb Shank

3DJ9I2o.jpg

4- Dopiyaza slow cooked lamb on lavash bread topped with lentils gravy and sumac onions

eI9WvXG.jpg

5- Korma Chalou chicken stew with apricots and lentils served with cumin rice

aBrQi0p.jpg

CmsxdKg.jpg

- Desert

6- Afghan Ice Cream topped with crushed almonds pistachios cardamon and fresh cream

zmYVIO4.jpg

7- Afghan Rice Pudding creamed rice boiled with milk and cardamon topped with crushed pistachios.

xHdAERR.jpg

Off camera: Afghan bread and drinks.

Afghan food is a mixture of different food cultures whether Arabic - Persian - Indian.....etc.

The food is very tasty on the homey side of flavours and presentation is still elementary.

We enjoyed all dishes except the Dopiyaza which does not fit our taste profile.

In case you have the opportunity to visit an Afghan restaurant then do not hesitate to work your taste buds with different flavours.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2