• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

Toasted Ravioli is a St. Louis staple! Grew up with them and love them! The ravioli are usually meat filled and served with marinara. Now I have a craving!!!

8F4DE352-A3F1-452C-A7CC-CD403C327909.thumb.jpeg.c12d01afe29badd9c4eb02cabd0246db.jpeg

Thanks to @Kim Shook, I am now well stocked. Not only did my local Kroger have them, but they were on sale at only $2.99 each if I bought five. So I did! 😁

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Add me to the toasted rav fan line. At least before the celiac diagnosis. My kids can eat a boxful at a sitting.

Interestingly, the Arkansas Delta has a sizeable Italian population, made up of descendants of immigrants in the 1920s-30s. I may have told the story of how they came here before; if not, and if anyone's interested, I will. But a consequence is that damn nearly every small Delta town has a reasonably decent Italian restaurant, mostly of the red-sauce workingman Italian variety, and many dishes that have been "italianized" from Southern classics, i.e.,

• Fried chicken with marinara sauce
  • Spaghetti as a veggie side to fried catfish (red sauce with no meat)
  • and my personal favorite, a debris po'boy, shredded pot roast over a split small baguette, topped with marinara sauce
  • and the classic barbecue spaghetti, pulled pork and a barbecue-flavored red sauce over linguine

Toasted rav as the appetizer, naturally.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Add me to the toasted rav fan line. At least before the celiac diagnosis. My kids can eat a boxful at a sitting.

Interestingly, the Arkansas Delta has a sizeable Italian population, made up of descendants of immigrants in the 1920s-30s. I may have told the story of how they came here before; if not, and if anyone's interested, I will. But a consequence is that damn nearly every small Delta town has a reasonably decent Italian restaurant, mostly of the red-sauce workingman Italian variety, and many dishes that have been "italianized" from Southern classics, i.e.,

• Fried chicken with marinara sauce
  • Spaghetti as a veggie side to fried catfish (red sauce with no meat)
  • and my personal favorite, a debris po'boy, shredded pot roast over a split small baguette, topped with marinara sauce
  • and the classic barbecue spaghetti, pulled pork and a barbecue-flavored red sauce over linguine

Toasted rav as the appetizer, naturally.

My maternal family came from the Delta - the names were Terrelli, DeMarco, and Lopresto.  They came up from NOLA and some ended up in Washington DC for jobs during WWII.  That's how I ended up being the only kid I knew who ate canned tamales!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Last of leftover cold grilled mahi sliced and used in a leaf lettuce salad.   Leftover dips  I made recently for my daughter’s s wedding shower, hummus and puréed baba ganoush were enjoyed with homemade pita chips 

88E78E3A-F055-4AA1-B20E-CD48F74E24B6.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 9

19 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I LOVE canned tamales!     One just shouldn't call them tamales.  

“the only kid I knew who ate canned tamales”

was said by @Kim Shook, not me.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Franci said:

What I consider minimum effort and max satisfaction. I take a lot of care in making my salad mixes though  😁

There are words and stuff here but all I am able to see is that lovely cheese next to whatever that green stuff is

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Sichuan 辣子鸡 (là zi jī) Chicken with Chilies. Served with rice and stir fried greens.

Just looking at the photographs my lips are tingling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Duvel said:

The low carb alternative for lazy days: Wurstsalat.

Where else could I so easily satisfy my thirst for new food knowledge? I have never heard of this but boy do I want to try it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Sichuan 辣子鸡 (là zi jī) Chicken with Chilies. Served with rice and stir fried greens.

20191023_184650.thumb.jpg.f806fbc73d2bc9880c2e47af79991b0a.jpg

20191023_184657.thumb.jpg.fb058ce822d1f789e71782b6c2b81dd9.jpg

That reminds me of a Chinese restaurant where I used to live. They had two menus, one for regular people and one for Chinese customers.  We always asked for the Chinese menu then had to have everything explained to us. Some of the food had a lot of those little red chilies.  They were good but I had to take them in moderation. 

• Like 1