• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Dinner10212019.png

Spareribs and sausages from The Romagnolis' Table (p150).  Polenta is organic heritage stone ground corn from Piedmont by way of Zingerman's Ann Arbor.  Thanks to new support socks from amazon I was able to stand at the stove for hours reading My Drunk Kitchen* without intolerable pain.  Orange and black, Princeton colors, though I would have preferred pure white.

*what else is there to do while stirring polenta?

• Like 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Duckburgers.

Would never have thought of that! Thanks. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We had dinner at our neighbours last night.  Clif and Barbs.  It was Clif's birthday and dinner was a feast of fresh King Crab.

1769132279_marbledcreamcheesebrowniesOctober21st2019.thumb.jpg.a230bc30cca6de3428564b270c39a470.jpg

Clif put in a request for the marbled cream cheese brownies that I make which are his favourite.

Cream cheese layer is quite yellow thanks to the eggs from a friends farm.  

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

We had dinner at our neighbours last night.  Clif and Barbs.  It was Clif's birthday and dinner was a feast of fresh King Crab.

1769132279_marbledcreamcheesebrowniesOctober21st2019.thumb.jpg.a230bc30cca6de3428564b270c39a470.jpg

Clif put in a request for the marbled cream cheese brownies that I make which are his favourite.

Cream cheese layer is quite yellow thanks to the eggs from a friends farm.  

I thought for a moment it was Nanaimo bars, and couldn't quite square that with your usual high-level fare (west-coast location notwithstanding).

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

In order to prepare for tonight‘s leftover pork knuckle feast, my wife and son had cake & cocoa (with marshmellows, papa!) at 16.30h. So, I enjoyed pork knuckle tacos alone ...

66EA35D3-EC30-4762-9468-89DB7750A56F.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Duckburgers. Meat and some fat from duck leg. The bulk of the fat has been rendered and stored and the bones are currently turning into duck stock for tomorrow.

Crispy Peking duck, scallion, on steamed buns, I always call that duck burgers. 9_9

dcarch

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Still working on project 'Empty Freezy'. One of the bigger reserves of meat is Minced Beef (Costco was Involved). I recalled I had a cook book entitled 'Mince' scavenged from somewhere so I flipped it open, and it landed on 'Beef Fried Rice'. That'll do, rice is small dudes fav food.

The recipe opened with "Serves 4, 500g uncooked white rice 🤔". 

So I shut the book, and I winged it.

20191022_202255.thumb.jpg.dc7883df478524b24320fa8b6e831090.jpg

Edit: I should have looked at Dantes post first and remembered Vegetables are a thing. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4

Crud.  I have to follow @Ann_T.  😄

Sunday night was our weekly Football feast.  These pitiful burnt pizza bits were actually ok considering they were made from leftover whomp pizza dough, jarred marinara, and pre-shredded Mozzarella:

DSCN0195.JPG.2a1484d6aa8806d151f8879d64ee7617.JPG

We just didn’t eat the edges and didn’t try to pretend they were pizza.  The dough was leftover from making pigs in a blanket:

DSCN0201.JPG.b4b697d36be24e9c19c7f26ce05c557a.JPG

The pizza dough was a nice change from puff pastry or Crescent dough.  And I used hot dog sized smokies, so these were substantial.  Another junky addition to the feast was toasted ravioli:

DSCN0200.JPG.ac872180db1e845f5054b10bfc8c8ead.JPG

These were frozen and served with the jarred marinara (see above), but the CSO did a nice job crisping them up.  The brand was Louisa and they were actually very good.  The company is based in St. Louis, for whatever that’s worth!  The rest of the spread:

DSCN0196.JPG.1cf1995bffd8c4afc036851df8f2dba8.JPG

Pretzel crackers, smoked salmon cream cheese, sliced baguette, sliced beef stick, and honey-mustard:

DSCN0197.JPG.7b88ae3211e574cf9c33d9cb944d768a.JPG

Cheeses:

DSCN0198.thumb.JPG.a595ca1bf8b16a7cb37c8e84f61a396e.JPG

The segregated one is a truffle cheese  and the two on the board are Cabot 3 Year Cheddar and Spring Brook Farm Tarentaise. 

The fresh portion of our meal😊:

DSCN0199.thumb.JPG.29524871e24226cee24cec66b7041696.JPG

We had dinner Monday night at a local "meat and threes" restaurant with my in laws.  My chance to get fried chicken livers which no one else likes.  This was on my place amongst the other items.  Trying to masquerade as a liver, I guess:

heart.thumb.jpg.dc4cd9616b2cfb06d37f25dff686bf18.jpg

• Like 9

Thank you, @rotuts and @robirdstx!  Yep - these were just frozen already stuffed with meat and cheese and breaded with some kind of flavored crumbs.  The directions call for either pan frying or baking and I did them on bake/steam in the CSO and they were perfect.  Pretty much anything that fits in the CSO and is supposed to be baked in an over, I'm doing on bake/steam now.  It gets crunchy on the outside and stays tender inside.  

I've never been to St. Louis, but a lot of Italian family-style restaurants have them as appetizers and I got hooked!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

What times and temps do you use , compared to the box suggestions ?

If I'm using bake/steam, I pretty much go by the box suggestions for both.  I keep an eye on them for the last few minutes.  Once in a while, the items need a little additional outside crisping and I just toast on 1 for that.

• Thanks 1