• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Dinner was supposed to be...but a migraine got in the way.  Maybe you will get to read about it later.  Anyhow, fear not, I did not go hungry.

Dinner10182019.png

Sockeye from amazon.  Spice Trekkers' Gaspesian Salmon Rub.  One could do far worse.  No ramps were harmed in this presentation.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, Dante said:

Tonight's dinner- slow-cooker jackfruit chili, over spinach.

74643678_690653928086566_7684793195263164416_n.jpg

Fresh or canned jackfruit? It is SUCH a trend now. Good taste/texture though?

12 hours ago, Franci said:

Pizza in teglia

Wow!  Just wow!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Appetizers before a clean out the leftovers for dinner last night...

IMG_8394.thumb.jpg.a9d98c3ceb3ee7e5b158aa2312786e29.jpg

Assorted crostini. Toasted the slices, rubbed with cut garlic, sprinkled with olive oil.  Tomato, feta cheese, anchovy and tomato, anchovy and house-roasted peppers, plain, and house-roasted peppers.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Wow!  Just wow!

@Anna N, I think I am going to post about this on the baking section. I feel sometimes my pizza in teglia is a hit or miss. So, no more changing timing, yeast, etc. I am going to stick to the same exact formula until I get it right every single time! 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Franci said:

@Anna N, I think I am going to post about this on the baking section. I feel sometimes my pizza in teglia is a hit or miss. So, no more changing timing, yeast, etc. I am going to stick to the same exact formula until I get it right every single time! 

Please do.

eGullet member #80.

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Fresh or canned jackfruit? It is SUCH a trend now. Good taste/texture though?

Prepackaged but not canned.  I haven't experimented with fresh yet- that will be a later project.  Good taste and texture nonetheless, and it worked very well in the chili.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:02 PM, robirdstx said:

8471245F-2CF2-4C09-B376-628D8563CEE7.thumb.jpeg.a7193a6fece6b53d2b481afd8b30232f.jpeg

No ramps here, so I will have to use the pickled onion and raw scallion green substitution.

I made the dressing today. I was not impressed at first, but after letting the mix meld for an hour, the tangy flavor came through. Very nice!

DF4BC5D5-A305-467F-BC46-AEFB122D699A.thumb.jpeg.6defd5811a8f143f91d5762d944cd26f.jpeg

• Like 6

Country pot-luck last night at the quarterly meeting of our Volunteer Fire Company.     We took a pan of al Pastor pork, warm tortillas, salsas and sour cream.    Well received.   

Others brought a fabulous fresh pesto pasta, a half dozen chili con carnes, pasta and potato salads, quiche and handful of dessertsl

For me, the stellar dish was a 16" cast iron frying pan of this heritage kale.   The provider told me he was part of the group that collected and brought these diverse kales from Europe.    His description of the dish: Kale Coalition, Bull's Blood beet greens, OG Seal garlic, Italian sausage, raisins, spices (I detected cumin), onions and love.    .   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 5

eGullet member #80.

Lazy ... there is no other expression to describe my mood today. Homemade burgers w/ the works. Luckily, the family supports my state of mind by just consuming what I put in front of them ...

1F63EC08-00FF-4C17-8AB5-CE4CA1A03ED4.thumb.jpeg.3a3213536a816e9e0c8a938fff7af911.jpeg

Albeit with limited enthusiam.

9F590946-7EC5-4F2E-B57C-1BF665C5A157.thumb.jpeg.527ccb84270aefb4df6a30a8ee4ec1e1.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

24 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Fall blew in a day or two ago, so we are inside till spring.

Flatiron steak, roasted root veg and cauliflower greens

094.thumb.jpg.eb261a6eb5ec524b395f61a2eecbfda4.jpg

Greens might be acceptable.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Seared Tuna carpaccio with dressed greens salad.    Tuna seared, drizzled with a Tuscan olive oil, sunflower seeds, capers and Maldon flake salt.   Greens dressed with lemon juice and olive oil.   

Tuna was impeccable quality.  It was so silky, one of the better I have had in a long time.   

IMG_3076 (002).jpg

• Like 9