• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Last night...

EUWezfo.jpg?1

Miso butter glazed haricots.  Four mushroom sauté.  Ginger rice donabe made.

Night before last...

87vX99L.jpg?1

Greek salad, with red and yellow tomatoes (still decent), cucumbers, scallions, feta, Kalamata olives, house roasted red and green peppers, etc.

jzAjPBl.jpg?1

Minestra.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

My dessert-making opportunities are vanishingly small, but I'd love to fantasize about making this. Care to share the recipe? Posting it in RecipeGullet would be even better. I do love a good Boston Cream Pie.  :x

@Smithy , I added it to RecipeGullet.  You can find it here  .

It is also on the blog: http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2012/05/this-cake-has-been-favourite-since-1978.html 

We had a late lunch so dinner was another dessert.  Moe kind of mentioned yesterday morning that he had a craving for a Coconut Cream Pie. 

I think he must have seen one that someone posted on FB.

So.....

758010405_CoconutCreamPieOctober15th2019.thumb.jpg.6bdca2526ab2b786930daa97d4ff1f10.jpg

571035992_CoconutCreamPieOctober15th20191.thumb.jpg.58f66d64553668ee652b43f074ec6e85.jpg

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Decided to do Wimpy Bang Bang Shrimp as an appetizer last night😊:

DSCN0181.JPG.36047614b89ef347961f6c97448d36f8.JPG

My cousin’s wife does a copycat version of the Bonefish Grill dish.  I love the flavor, but can’t take the spice level.  So I used her recipe but backed off the sweet chili sauce a bit and omitted the Sriracha completely.  I also completely cheated and didn’t fry my own shrimp.  I knew I was going to be home late from errands and just picked up a box of Sea Pak frozen butterfly shrimp.  That’s what my dad does when he makes this dish for happy hour😄!  Anyway, it made a nice little snack. 

Dinner itself was just sandwiches and fixed up Mrs. Fearnow’s Brunswick Stew (a locally made brand):

DSCN0184.JPG.0670da9976fc716700f344a894b49dce.JPG

Mortadella, hard salami, ham, and muenster cheese.

DSCN0183.JPG.023d64b994c2948a4f733be3ec03c280.JPG

And pickly stuff:

DSCN0182.JPG.b2424b2a918e685b11d715f943f17038.JPG

I’m not putting dessert into the Sweets thread because I didn’t make it:

DSCN0185.JPG.62482f36e70696e1b6ac3523775c28f1.JPG

At the last BBQ Contest that Mr. Kim judged, the city of Rocky Mount gave all of the judges entire cheesecakes!  He left two pieces at home and took the rest to work.  This was a layer of chocolate cheesecake between layers of chocolate cake.  It reminded me of a couple of the recipes I’ve made from the Junior’s cookbook.  I’m not a huge fan of chocolate cheesecake – I don’t think the tang of cream cheese goes with chocolate – but this was quite good.  No idea where it came from.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Do you have a recipe for that ranch dressing?

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/157787-dinner-2019/?do=findComment&comment=2216943

Original recipe is in David Chang's Momofuku.  Zingerman's has pickled ramps if they're not in your pantry.  For the zucchini I thinned the dressing with added lemon juice.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The common intersection between leftovers from numerous Mettbrötchen orgies, little time to prepare dinner and the rarely predictable preferences of a five-year old is this: Pasta (technically Fusilli Bucati Corti) with meatballs. 

No time required, no fuss, no complaints. And a pleasant Rioja for me, just because ...

AACF7CA3-E286-4FDF-8F4A-67CD36C568A7.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/157787-dinner-2019/?do=findComment&comment=2216943

Original recipe is in David Chang's Momofuku.  Zingerman's has pickled ramps if they're not in your pantry.  For the zucchini I thinned the dressing with added lemon juice.

Am I being dense?  When I follow your link, I get to @Margaret Pilgrim's post of 9/27.  When I follow her link, I get to a blog called "Emily's Culinary Adventures" where I don't see a recipe for the dressing.  When I follow the link in her blog, I get to a blog called "Momofuku For 2" where I still don't see a recipe.  What am I missing?  

• Like 2

zfq3kw6.jpg?1

This is the start (middle?) of a New Mexico Hatch Chile Verde, using some boneless shoulder (for she) and some neck (for me).

Served with Rancho Gordo's black beans, white rice, avocado, tomato, lime, cilantro, etc.  Never got around to a picture of the finished dish.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

There was a cartoon, back in the early days, of two dogs sitting in front of computer screens.    One says to the other, "On the internet, no one knows you're a dog."

And no one knows just how bad your dinner was.    First night in the country = rotis chicken from Food4Less, decent mashed potatoes, and gravy made from Knorr's chicken gel.    Actually not bad, but chicken overcooked.    Tomorrow -> salad, then the carcass into broth.

And it gets worse if you disdain iceberg lettuce (Momofuku ranch)

1029490518_ScreenShot2019-10-16at6_54_11PM.thumb.png.68993ab6c42adfcb97b1edd1eead342b.png

962770694_ScreenShot2019-10-16at6_54_36PM.thumb.png.61ea2598a1ada2225339d7a7b932b97b.png

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 9

eGullet member #80.

44 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

There was a cartoon, back in the early days, of two dogs sitting in front of computer screens.    One says to the other, "On the internet, no one knows you're a dog."

And no one knows just how bad your dinner was.    First night in the country = rotis chicken from Food4Less, decent mashed potatoes, and gravy made from Knorr's chicken gel.    Actually not bad, but chicken overcooked.    Tomorrow -> salad, then the carcass into broth.

And it gets worse if you disdain iceberg lettuce (Momofuku ranch)

1029490518_ScreenShot2019-10-16at6_54_11PM.thumb.png.68993ab6c42adfcb97b1edd1eead342b.png

962770694_ScreenShot2019-10-16at6_54_36PM.thumb.png.61ea2598a1ada2225339d7a7b932b97b.png

Ok, now I feel like you are just messing with me.  LOL  I really need a link to the ACTUAL recipe - not just websites where a description is found.  I did try to Google it myself, but it seems to be the most secret recipe in the world.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, Kim Shook said:

Am I being dense?  When I follow your link, I get to @Margaret Pilgrim's post of 9/27.  When I follow her link, I get to a blog called "Emily's Culinary Adventures" where I don't see a recipe for the dressing.  When I follow the link in her blog, I get to a blog called "Momofuku For 2" where I still don't see a recipe.  What am I missing?  

Please forgive me!  Not trying to be difficult.  As I understand we are not permitted to post copyrighted recipes.  I asked @Margaret Pilgrim for her ranch dressing recipe.  She gave me that link.  Confused, I didn't see a recipe but I followed the next link in the chain.  Still couldn't find a recipe, but I inferred the ranch recipe might be David Chang's.  Eat Your Books informed me the recipe was to be found in Momofuku.

I own a copy of Momofuku.  The ranch recipe is not in the index.  But it is there.  Really.  Be strong and persevere.  The ranch dressing is worth it.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 2

I have tried burrata cheese a couple of times and found it....lacking.  Bland and rubbery...  Ordered some from Murray's Cheese.  Waaaaay better.  Dang you Murray's, another item I will have trouble living without.  Drizzled with good balsamic .

IMG_6923.JPG.59faf248266fa6818dc6f2affd08a0dd.JPG

With steaks on the grill, sprouts and late garden corn

IMG_6924.JPG.11be1e13292c98e776ba60b787b2f94c.JPG

Catfish and fried green tomatoes

IMG_6931.jpg.752fb65adee2a3b9d3e0872a11327a38.jpg

IMG_6932.JPG.bc83d7b7d80cf2e750a0859783bdaca1.JPG

Found some excellent peanut dressing so  I made a cabbage/ramen/peanut salad

thumbnail_IMG_6936.jpg.2bc146c9c78445152a3c4afc6d416c7e.jpg

Grilled brats and jalapeños to go with

thumbnail_IMG_6937.jpg.31b9d2ea5c6ef0c34595b5758274f122.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

After commuting for four years via ferry I had my first major traffic jam today. 90 min for about 30 km ...

So dinner prep time was cut down to 15 min - broccoli fritters (as my wife is concerned about the little ones veggie intake), quick guacamole with north sea shrimp and hummus left-overs stretched with goat cheese. Little one got the excess guac with shrimps and concluded that next time he only wants that ...

C1D8EB11-15B4-4CC4-8586-FFF25CD24B2D.thumb.jpeg.d219b521e9c71bfc8f2b26a9e6bfd032.jpeg

8E74CAE7-CF51-42C9-960B-0A4A69B0B4EB.thumb.jpeg.63f3800c512b2939672a73fc2de8b88c.jpeg

• Like 10

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As I understand we are not permitted to post copyrighted recipes.* 

*Should a person in authority give permission to share the ranch dressing recipe I would gladly do so to bring happiness to untold thousands of humanity.

I'm not that person of authority but from my understanding, you can post the ingredients and measurements/amounts exactly.

But you cannot re-post the instructions verbatim. To make it a legal re-posting you have to re-word the instructions.

If this is incorrect I would like to be informed. Thanks in advance...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker Maybe you could leave out the ramps and sub in onions...different Rx  then.

You have my permission in any event.

Chang's permission too:  the pickled ramps may be replaced with half pickled onions and half raw scallion greens.  I have yet to dare opening one of my jars of ramps.  Besides, pickled onions are on sale this week.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Please forgive me!  Not trying to be difficult.  As I understand we are not permitted to post copyrighted recipes.*  I asked @Margaret Pilgrim for her ranch dressing recipe.  She gave me that link.  Confused, I didn't see a recipe but I followed the next link in the chain.  Still couldn't find a recipe, but I inferred the ranch recipe might be David Chang's.  Eat Your Books informed me the recipe was to be found in Momofuku.

I own a copy of Momofuku.  The ranch recipe is not in the index.  But it is there.  Really.  Be strong and persevere.  The ranch dressing is worth it.

*Should a person in authority give permission to share the ranch dressing recipe I would gladly do so to bring happiness to untold thousands of humanity.

Absolutely NO forgiveness necessary!  I promise.  I was just confused because nothing I went to seemed to have the recipe in it.  It really is like the secret recipe of the internet!  But no worries - someone PM'd me with the actual recipe, so I'm fine!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1