• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

21 hours ago, chefmd said:

Last night our beach house neighbors had a reception for a recently married couple who owned our beach house before the people who sold it to us.  So naturally we had everyone over for sparkling wine toast and amuse bouche.  

894C792E-EF04-47A3-A8AD-E41CD181868C.thumb.jpeg.9ff85b2aeb84905438f1f524a2916599.jpeg

I figured the others out, but what is the base of this?

I believe that I’m going to have to give crab legs another try.  I’ve always kind of scoffed at Snow crab legs.  But I see folks here, that I respect, eating them at home and loving them.  I was thinking about it the other day and I realized that I’ve probably never had them except in a buffet situation, which is not a fair judgement of any kind of food.  So, I think I’m going to get some at Costco (the king crab legs we got at Costco were very good) and steam them up. 

@Ann_T – you should look at my lunch from yesterday that I just posted.  I think we were on the same wavelength – though I took the lazy way out!’

@JoNorvelleWalker – I love that you allowed “Sleeping You” to satisfy her craving.

@Shelby – your pizza is confusing me.  Is it a round pizza and cut oddly, or is it a rectangular one?

Friday night we had dinner with a friend from out of town and another friend of hers who lives here at Comfort in downtown Richmond.  We shared some very good pimento cheese and Ritz crackers:

comfort9b.jpg.03ab450ad25cb00dbf763fbe8ca82f6d.jpg

And also some unusual fried green tomatoes with house made buttermilk ranch:

comfort4.jpg.99b82db77295d43001c379d080e07036.jpg

These were very, very thin and when we first saw them, we were a little concerned.  But they were delicious!  Thin and crackly crisp on the outside, but still with that yielding tart green tomato on the inside.  I can’t imagine being able to get the timing right on these.  We could have eaten a whole basket of these things – like fried pickles.

My main was the country ham, grilled bread, apple mustard, dill pickle, and watercress small plate:

comfort7.jpg.7eec7e8ef1d95f6ea739c5926c6a9811.jpg

This was so perfect and it was wonderful to see a chef using watercress instead of the ubiquitous arugula.  Our friend really loved it – being originally from a little WV holler, she remembers wading in streams to gather it with her grandmother.  I also got the Southern Style Caesar with hard boiled egg and cornbread croutons:

comfort9d.jpg.c8ee2d719104fe996a1d7e63db8ed770.jpg

It was also supposed to have radicchio, but I didn’t see any of that.  A little odd, but very good.  I loved the croutons.

The other person had the meatloaf with red wine mushroom gravy, mac n cheese, and mashed potatoes (double carbs – a girl after my own heart):

comfort2.jpg.913fdddb8f0abe5ed1e40f1dc5ebbd1d.jpg

She said it was all delicious.  Our friend loved her roasted chicken and fried okra (no picture).  Mr. Kim had the surprise of the night.  We noticed on the specials the “Pasture” burger – named after the recently closed and deeply missed other restaurant from the owners of Comfort.  The description: “one all-beef patty, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun”.  Mr. Kim decided at the last minute to get it:

comfort8.jpg.1c7765495528557bd797aa7446c14170.jpg

We were both very glad that he did.  It was just fantastic.  Good enough that I said we’d call to find out when it was going to be on the menu again, just to go for that!

Last night:

DSCN0178.JPG.a49a14c92346c3c85d1c2c2084185ee7.JPG

Sloppy Joes (just fixed-up Manwich), tots, and peaches.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Grilled zucchini, Momofuku ranch

1698138966_photo1.thumb.JPG.d5beea51fbe41308ba1615e23e62aceb.JPG

Thanks again for pointing me to Momofuku ranch!  If you've tried both recipes how does the pickled ramp version compare to the variation using picked onions and green scallion?

Shoprite had pickled onions on sale this week and if I can get up in time I'll check how many more jars they have on the shelf before I head for work.  Pickled onions $2.49 a jar.  Pickled ramps $18 a jar.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks again for pointing me to Momofuku ranch!  If you've tried both recipes how does the pickled ramp version compare to the variation using picked onions and green scallion?

Shoprite had pickled onions on sale this week and if I can get up in time I'll check how many more jars they have on the shelf before I head for work.  Pickled onions $2.49 a jar.  Pickled ramps $18 a jar.

I have never seen pickled ramps for sale so have no comparison.    In fact, I've never seen a ramp in any form.    I think they are close to 'ail des ours' which we get in France and which I love!    Or maybe not.    I'm culturally deprived.

eGullet member #80.

20 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I have never seen pickled ramps for sale so have no comparison.    In fact, I've never seen a ramp in any form.    I think they are close to 'ail des ours' which we get in France and which I love!    Or maybe not.    I'm culturally deprived.

Ramps are supposed to grow wild where I live.  Until last week I had never seen one; and that was in a jar.  Perhaps I am confusing them with skunk cabbage.

• Like 1

'Fusion leftovers'...The last portion of paprika csirke with arborio rice cooked in and some grated grana padano. It's still de-li-cious. :D

513629320_paprikacsirkerizoto.thumb.jpg.ae1473b81bde9884044355ee17babdfc.jpg

• Like 10

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

Cabot Jasper Hill cloth wrapped cheddar, mystery bread*, Honeycrisp organic apple.  Methode rotuts.  Were not that sufficient:  salad of romaine, red, and green lettuces.  Momofuku ramp ranch dressing.  David Chang should be in jail.

*http://tribade.org/Food/Bread10142019.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yes, It still looks like Cat Puke from the 70's but I am inching closer to being able to make the Curried Snags the boys love without a packet mix. Served with Cauli Mash.

Pro: Everything from Freezy excluding spices, onion and garlic. 

Con: Still not gonna eat it 😂

20191015_203102.thumb.jpg.8722178d0ae2da45f272136abc5ef698.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

We had Thanksgiving dinner at our neighbours.  Clif cooked a traditional dinner with all the trimmings.

1867296480_BostonCreamPieOctober14th20191.thumb.jpg.f4d9cfe70f807c3657648cb91da339ec.jpg

All I had to do was make the dessert. 

2074155302_BostonCreamPieOctober14th2019.thumb.jpg.cdec7add57d005ac7e430d41f1135436.jpg

Boston Cream Pie.  I've had this recipe since 1978 and have made it often.  

But not recently. 

The custard is really yellow thanks to local farm fresh eggs. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 8

I bought some „ribs“ yesterday. Well, technically they are, because they did contain a few rib bones. But really it was just a big chunk of lower breast meat with a few bones left in. Nevertheless, it got the full SV ribs treatment (dry rub, 12h marinating, 12h @165 F, then finished with BBQ sauce in the oven). Accompanied by sweet corn (regular/herb butter finish) and croquette-fried potato-pumpkin puree (weekend leftover). Family was happy and so was I ...

6C652624-FD57-45B8-92C8-B77F5F289AE3.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@KennethT

that Salmon looks so delicious , I wouldn't notice eating the cucumbers.

The salmon was marinated in a combo of soy sauce, sweet soy sauce (kecap manis), oyster sauce and fish sauce.  SV'd in 115degF bath to a core temp of 102F according to sous vide dash, then torched.  The salmon winds up rare practically from edge to edge (give or take a few mm) to where it just flakes perfectly... then torched.  The marinade varies, but the method is my go to... I think I've forgotten how to do it any other way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:

2074155302_BostonCreamPieOctober14th2019.thumb.jpg.cdec7add57d005ac7e430d41f1135436.jpg

Boston Cream Pie.  I've had this recipe since 1978 and have made it often.  

But not recently. 

The custard is really yellow thanks to local farm fresh eggs. 

My dessert-making opportunities are vanishingly small, but I'd love to fantasize about making this. Care to share the recipe? Posting it in RecipeGullet would be even better. I do love a good Boston Cream Pie.  :x

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown