• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

@Kerry Beal  I--and WE are SO thrilled for you.  The food looks amazing....drink more wine...enjoy that beautiful room.....sleep in....Like Anna said, YOU GUYS DESERVE this :)  

I think the danger is going to be falling out of that bed - it's a long way down!

• Haha 8

27 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think the danger is going to be falling out of that bed - it's a long way down!

I would need a step ladder to get in there in the first place

...after further thought, maybe a small trampoline

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

Very nice @Kerry Beal! Enjoy 😊 

We cut the jamón, it’s clearly not bellota. But my husband thinks it’s good for practicing cutting and honestly it’s not bad at all. I made again duck in plum sauce, roasted potatoes, onions requested by the girl of the house and salad not pictured. 

C69E4CDA-F515-4E6A-9C5D-A96F33C28C4D.jpeg

74AF0EB7-767E-45F9-9A86-0181A416B989.jpeg

67CA1110-0F7C-41C0-B9A7-7DC6E0A0B675.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Just now, Franci said:

Very nice @Kerry Beal! Enjoy 😊 

We cut the jamón, it’s clearly not bellota. But my husband thinks it’s good for practicing cutting and honestly it’s not bad at all. I made again duck in plum sauce, roasted potatoes, onions requested by the girl of the house and salad not pictured. 

74AF0EB7-767E-45F9-9A86-0181A416B989.jpeg

67CA1110-0F7C-41C0-B9A7-7DC6E0A0B675.jpeg

That's pretty good hand cutting!

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Last night our beach house neighbors had a reception for a recently married couple who owned our beach house before the people who sold it to us.  So naturally we had everyone over for sparkling wine toast and amuse bouche.  

79605A4B-D51B-4921-94FD-5A6B7B2B300C.thumb.jpeg.4736416be5045a805727e68bf95556ea.jpeg

894C792E-EF04-47A3-A8AD-E41CD181868C.thumb.jpeg.9ff85b2aeb84905438f1f524a2916599.jpeg

A73F69A9-3DB3-4BD5-AB5F-5A6229E21DED.thumb.jpeg.2d057e2f835a1c33eedd623385a310d9.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

From Marc Vetri's Mastering Pasta:

IMG_1416.thumb.jpeg.6b915e65896a50f2c3fe971010da7740.jpeg

Fettuccine with Corn Crema and Charred Green Onions. The fettuccine was prepared using the Whole Egg, Bread Flour and Stone-Ground Wheat Dough using a Sonora-Red Fife blend as the stone-ground flour.

The sauce, basically sautéed then puréed, onion and corn was very sweet so I added the juice of a lime and some ground red chile to balance it out a bit.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Last night:

Dinner10132019.png

This might have been good.  Cooks Illustrated braised eggplant with soy, garlic, and ginger.  I followed the recipe except for substituting arrowroot for cornstarch.  The liquid did not reduce down as it was supposed to.  The resulting sauce should have been "just a few tablespoons".

However on a positive note the CI eggplant braising technique worked well.  The eggplant pieces remained intact.  The eggplant was a little soft for my taste but that is just a quibble.  I ended up fishing out the eggplant and reducing the sauce to where I thought it ought to be.

The recipe calls for a non-stick pan so I employed my not so new Berndes with Pyrex lid for the first time.  I was pleased with how the Berndes cast aluminum performed.  Cleanup was easy.

Sorry, I way overdid it with the scallions.  Despite my complaints I finished the entire recipe along with a go of rice.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

45 minutes ago, heidih said:

@JoNorvelleWalker  arrowroot is way different from cornstarch in terms of thickening and appearnce. Glad your dish pleased in the end

Thanks, but the dish did not entirely please in the end.  Even so arrowroot does not reheat well.  Fortunately there was nothing to reheat.

• Haha 2

Last night I had a dream.  Let's be honest, this past afternoon.*  I had a craving for spareribs.  It was dark (in the dream).  I ran (something I used to do in my younger years) a long distance to the store.  It was some fancy store; not sure which one.  Since it was so late at night the store itself was closed but the prepared foods section was still open.  There was every imaginable form of sparerib for takeout or for eating at the counter.

I was served some ribs but I went looking for more sauce.  When I got back my plate had been cleared away.  The person next to me said I was fortunate I still had my seat.  The selection by this time was pretty thin.  The woman behind the counter showed me what they had.  Most of the remaining meat looked less than appetizing.  But there were some lovely large chops I ordered.  She said she needed the manager's approval.  The manager had just left for the night but she ran after and caught him.  He was not entirely pleased.

Turns out this particular meat had been stolen from an army base so I needed security clearance.  After much hassle the manager told me I was good to go.  But then I woke up.  Left with little more than a craving for spareribs.

Thankfully it was a beautiful fall day.  I girded on my hiking boots and headed off to Shoprite.  Shoprite had ribs for $2.49 a pound.  Had to buy a full rack.  Pulled off the silverskin, broke the rack down, and vacuum bagged most of it.  Grilled the rest on the Philips...

Pork10142019.png

Did I mention I love my Philips?

Dinner10142019.png

Served with baked potato and torn head of radicchio.  Radicchio and meat dipped liberally in Momofuku ramp ranch dressing.  Not having the courage of my convictions I made the ranch recipe from the alternative ingredients of scallions and pickled onions.  Fearing to hazard my priceless two jars of pickled ramps.

Momofuku ramp ranch dressing is adult candy.  Served with radicchio it hits all the taste buds.  Hard.

By itself kewpie tastes like sweetened meat paste, not necessarily a bad thing.  Add allium, lemon juice, and buttermilk and it is like crack.  David Chang should be arrested.

My arm is bleeding for no apparent reason.  Hope it clots before bed.

*left to my own devices I wake up about 3:00 pm.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I ended up fishing out the eggplant

Yeah. I would’ve done that and made sure it went into the compost bin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ordered some more of my favorite Harbison cheese.  I left it out for two days, but our house is so cold (haven't turned the furnace on yet--enjoying the crispness) that it didn't get as melty as I like

thumbnail_IMG_6914.jpg.4c22b723e926672849785fcd2b6ae34a.jpg

You can always tell when I've been to the big city grocery store--you can't get me out of the olive bar and cheese section

thumbnail_IMG_6915.jpg.8c56480a744f5f09d972c06fb3b00292.jpg

Pepperoni pizza and salad

thumbnail_IMG_6916.jpg.c9922a78bcf89662cd1318cedf7d5bad.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6917.jpg.124b29d1c46d9eb27b4283914df9201d.jpg

Had some Cotswold and Balsamic Bellavitano--both good.

thumbnail_IMG_6918.jpg.96d3c9f127fe871c2d4df70f086b153a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6919.jpg.e6db71894cb34b9df523e3a0aa02c727.jpg

Crab alfredo

thumbnail_IMG_6920.jpg.34adb477961bc3f311249c7c1a9c6c20.jpg

Store bought brownies with homemade vanilla ice cream

thumbnail_IMG_6921.jpg.6d5ffdbce5a4e75365c775b72e537bd0.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4