• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Mr. Kim mentioned baked eggs the other day, which I’d kind of forgotten about and I saw Sunny Anderson make some good looking ham and cheese biscuits on The Kitchen this week, so tonight was breakfast for dinner.  Baked eggs before going in the CSO:

DSCN0174.JPG.5f60498d0e781f415288049a6f1d6110.JPG

Biscuits and accoutrement:

DSCN0175.JPG.94b95a72042392f8dbbd1ec16d20b692.JPG

Honey Dijon Butter (part of the biscuit recipe), fig syrup, and FROG jam.  The biscuits look a little dark on top because they were forever getting browned.  They were done, but pale, so I just cranked the broiler for a minute.  They were very good, especially with the butter. 

Plate:

DSCN0176.JPG.15c680f5b2623278404df776d2324b28.JPG

Biscuit, baked egg, fried potatoes and onions, and ham.  I caved and cooked the onions and potatoes separately and put them together at the end. 😏

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

26 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Mr. Kim mentioned baked eggs the other day, which I’d kind of forgotten about and I saw Sunny Anderson make some good looking ham and cheese biscuits on The Kitchen this week, so tonight was breakfast for dinner.  Baked eggs before going in the CSO:

DSCN0174.JPG.5f60498d0e781f415288049a6f1d6110.JPG

Biscuits and accoutrement:

DSCN0175.JPG.94b95a72042392f8dbbd1ec16d20b692.JPG

Honey Dijon Butter (part of the biscuit recipe), fig syrup, and FROG jam.  The biscuits look a little dark on top because they were forever getting browned.  They were done, but pale, so I just cranked the broiler for a minute.  They were very good, especially with the butter. 

Plate:

DSCN0176.JPG.15c680f5b2623278404df776d2324b28.JPG

Biscuit, baked egg, fried potatoes and onions, and ham.  I caved and cooked the onions and potatoes separately and put them together at the end. 😏

Breakfast for dinner doesn't usually do it for me but this looks really nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

We really do it a lot.  It's easy, fast, delicious, and, to be honest, I almost never want a breakfast like this at breakfast "time".  

We do it too— it’s relatively fast and definitely filling. But what is frog jam? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

We do it too— it’s relatively fast and definitely filling. But what is frog jam? 

Somehow I overlooked that part.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

pantry dinner (except for the tomatoes and eggs): pan bagnat

I read party dinner.  Party or pantry it all looks good to me. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Figs, Raspberry, Orange and Ginger.

http://www.pickyourown.org/FROG_jam_recipe.htm

That is so much less exciting than what I imagined that kind of jam to actually be.  Mine involved a blender. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Franci -- Just spectacular! Happy birthday to Victor (I like Mr. Franci, too!)

@Kim -- your baked eggs put me in mind of a couple of recipes I cobbled together from some different ones in Deep Run Roots

Take individual ramekins, put an inch-thick layer of cheese grits in the bottom. I have some three-inch ones, about two and a half inches deep, that are perfect.This can be done the night before so they'll set up. Top with Vivian's stewed tomatoes (I canned a bunch of these, sans bread crumbs, which I add when preparing to serve). Crack an egg on top. Sprinkle with diced meat of your choice -- bacon, ham, sausage of some sort. Top with cheese. Bake. Marvelous!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

We really do it a lot.  It's easy, fast, delicious, and, to be honest, I almost never want a breakfast like this at breakfast "time".  

I'd much rather have that meal for dinner than for breakfast.   

Your biscuits look great. I like them with more colour.   Did you bake the eggs on Bake steam or just the steam setting?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Ann_T

That looks fabulous !

I lived in Europe for several years a long long time ago.

from time to time , we would go to a restaurant that served The Soup , from a tureen.

always a white one , similar to the bowl you have pic'd above.

Ive always wanted to have soup at home from a similar similar  white tureen.

neve happened .  but I do know it tastes better that way.

just have someone else do the Clean-Up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

I'd much rather have that meal for dinner than for breakfast.   

Your biscuits look great. I like them with more colour.   Did you bake the eggs on Bake steam or just the steam setting?

Thank you!  I did the eggs on bake steam at 350F.  It has been so long since I've made them that it was before I got the CSO and I used to mostly do them in my toaster oven, but I've been doing everything in the CSO on bake steam lately and thought I'd try them.  They were a little overdone (I was waiting on those biscuits), but very tender.

I'm struggling here, folks.  I just made some Sloppy Joe but I don't want to eat it....

• Sad 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

59 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I'm struggling here, folks.  I just made some Sloppy Joe but I don't want to eat it....

Sloppy Joe isn't something I've ever wanted to eat but I'm sure Joe can go into the fridge or freezer until whatever desire possessed you to make it in the first place resurfaces.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Every once in a while I have to go over the top with something. It is a Scotch Egg inside a layer of grated potatoes which is fried until the potatoes are browned then baked until the sausage is done.

20191011_162951.jpg

20191011_163431.jpg

That is "somethin else".Charlie is a lucky boy (I know he is a grown man)

• Thanks 1

Polish cabbage soup is in the Dutch oven for tonight’s dinner.

Pork butt, carrots,celery, onion, herbs, bay leaves (is that an herb?)’ potato, beef broth and, of course,, cabbage.

My Mom’s recipe.  Smells so good.  Will serve with some nice homemade Amish bread.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1