• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, demiglace said:

You are really having quite the day!

The whole "that's my one new thing for the day" thing is a catchphrase between my GF and I.

In truth, between my work (as I usually explain it to friends, "looking s**t up and explaining it to people") and my innate curiosity, most of my time is spent learning new things. :)

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just now, chromedome said:

The whole "that's my one new thing for the day" thing is a catchphrase between my GF and I.

In truth, between my work (as I usually explain it to friends, "looking s**t up and explaining it to people") and my innate curiosity, most of my time is spent learning new things. :)

That's pretty cool. I love that you give cooking lessons as well as the "other" stuff!

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

D79EDBE2-476B-43EF-A988-84009EA70166.thumb.jpeg.6885fecae73bd25275adc5477affda96.jpeg

I went digging deep into my freezer drawers yesterday and unearthed two skinny lamb shoulder chops. I sous vided did them for about four hours at 54.5 and then attempted to sear them. They were cut so unevenly that searing them was almost impossible. But served with some peas and mint sauce they still made an adequate meal. 

Unless those are some abnormally large peas I'm jealous you can focus that close with your iPad.  Or do you cheat and use a camera?

I also envy your blue plate.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Unless those are some abnormally large peas I'm jealous you can focus that close with your iPad.  Or do you cheat and use a camera?

I also envy your blue plate.

Used my iPhone and I’m not sure how blue that plate is and how much my white balance is off. I think it’s the white balance although I think there is some blue in that plate. Oh and they were not abnormally large peas. It’s just the perspective. 

When I get hangry the niceties of photography and just about anything else go out the window. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Testing a recipe for chicken chasseur for someone.  3stores and no airline chicken breasts.  OK … 2 chickens, cut in half by the butchers then home to finish the butchering, deboning and wrapping meat .  What's for dinner?  Chicken chasseur, some wild and brown rice and sautéed zucchini, yellow squash and garlic.

Also, looking ahead, I thawed a roast from the freezer and the beef is now marinating to make sauerbraten on the weekend.  Red cabbage with apples and John's grandmother's spaetzel.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, demiglace said:

That's pretty cool. I love that you give cooking lessons as well as the "other" stuff!

The classes are kind of on hold at the moment, because the former cooking school coordinator left and they haven't yet found a replacement.

There *is* one class this month, a vendor-sponsored evening class that I'll be doing with the store's RD.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 hours ago, heidih said:

I know the product - but have never encountered an eater. @Dante can you describe taste/texture? Thanks

Extremely mild flavour but pretty close to chicken in taste and texture.  Less bite to it texture-wise, though.  I'm actually quite fond of the stuff, and I'm not a vegetarian or vegan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Too busy organizing my husband birthday party this Wednesday. I am trying to make some stuff ahead of time. 
Making piadine and freezing them (I want to put them  on the grill. One bottom, filling, top with another piadina, on the grill and cut in wedges). I also made tigelle, that I want to serve with Chinese roast. In the meantime I am too tired to cook, so I stole a tigella, an a piadina that got burned,  some of the tacos de jamon that I bought today at the Spanish store. Maybe a yogurt for dessert 😁

2780E25E-3052-49CE-A984-3415F8FEFBDC.jpeg

DC01CEA7-6E77-489C-8237-E8C975B45EE7.jpeg

9AE7B280-610D-4A5B-9028-F7356EFE38AA.jpeg

6A502A1A-CA25-46D4-A6D4-D8940AA71DB1.jpeg

0B8EC969-92F8-4B36-8BA5-BC5E8A03AEE8.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 1

Last night we had brats:

DSCN0134.JPG.10aa14ac9297d7c93317629ed48a9ebe.JPG

Mr. Kim likes the ones that you buy raw, I prefer the already cooked ones.  It was my turn.  Served with kraut, fixed up Kraft, and baked beans:

DSCN0136.JPG.95a5e9dda59751ba1f323aac9292d035.JPGs

I’ve been noticing some folks here using chuck eye steak, but I’d never seen it.  I found some at Walmart the other day and had an idea of how to use it.  I decided to do a kinda-sorta burrito thingy tonight.  I started by getting a good sear on the steaks in an iron skillet, then chilling them:

DSCN0156.JPG.3dd4f99d2321a03fb3e030cd522e4a67.JPG

When they were cold, I cut them into fairly small chunks:

DSCN0157.JPG.88fe4f03cdb426332cfdd38fafcd7d62.JPG

I made a sauce of Bisto, Worcestershire, and A1 and put some on the meat.  I cooked it in the CSO on steam at 210F until it was hot, then put it on a flour tortilla with more of the sauce on top:

DSCN0159.JPG.029981e2bb1d0176f1d109ea6c3b31eb.JPG

Then topped with sunny side up eggs:

DSCN0162.thumb.JPG.f944a1a85cecffb8e222477ed513b6ea.JPG

Served with a salad and fried potatoes and onions:

DSCN0161.JPG.00812ab3a1bfadf0547ff127593e9fc2.JPG

DSCN0163.JPG.7fdba26b1d9cd93ab518eff040099b04.JPG

I’ve always had trouble making these and my issue is timing.  I start with cold, boiled potatoes and chopped onions.  If I try to make the onions and potatoes in the same pan, I end up with more or less burnt onions.  I start with the onions and let them get a little soft (if I start with the potatoes, I end up with undercooked onions), then dump in the potatoes and stir and stir.  The only way that I end up with perfectly cooked onions AND potatoes is if I cook the onions completely first, take them out of the pan, THEN cook the potatoes and add the onions back in at the last minute to warm up.  Not THAT much trouble, but I wish I could figure out the timing to do it together. 

My egg got a tad overdone:

DSCN0164.JPG.48bb992c7b46e9f9b850f216ab49f2e4.JPG

It all tasted really good, but we decided that since this was really a fork and knife sandwich, next time I’ll just serve it on some garlic bread or something.  It doesn’t really work well as a burrito or a wrap. 

What was remarkable to me was the chuck eye.  Lots of flavor and incredibly tender.  I’m guessing that is due to the fact that I steam cooked it. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

52 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Is that a whole jamon?

Yes! It was a very good deal. They had a discount in the store (it’s called Delicias de España, here I found a link, in the store they had a promotion going and I payed $50 less than that) and other 2 people before me walked away with one. I didn’t plan buying one, but time to get to the car and I walk back to get a leg myself. Not that expensive, it’s not bellota but de cebo. 

Edited by Franci
added a link to the store (log)
  • Like 2

Dinner10082019.png

Sous vide prime ribeye, finished on the Philips.  With sautéed mushrooms; avocado; almost last of the Mountain Magic.

Bread10072019.png

Bread.

Disclaimer:  since I would never eat that much meat at a sitting, after the picture I returned the steak to the kitchen and the cutting board.  Steak was excellent.  Everything tastes better on the Philips.*

*Except of course for chicken.

• Like 11

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It dosen't picture too well, but I am on a mission to defeat the freezy. I've had some cauli pizza bases in there for a while. Made a quick sauce, Chorizo from freezy and all health benefits erased by my need to use up a heap of bocconcini. 

To be fair kid didn't twig! (Testament to my shite dough making right there 😂). 

20191007_182549.thumb.jpg.0b78205563ed254e83f80694cf4ed7f7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

If I try to make the onions and potatoes in the same pan, I end up with more or less burnt onions. 

If it makes you feel any better that’s the only way I have ever found that works to avoid burning the onions. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. Growing up in the DC suburbs I've enjoyed my fair share of Maryland crab cakes - mayo, Old Bay, some bread crumbs. But, my all-time favorite is a delicate, creamy French crab cake from a now-closed DC restaurant named Le Caprice.  Last night I tried my hand at Galette de Crabe 'Le Bec-Fin' and it brought memories of Le Caprice back to me.  The shrimp mousse binder made for a light, airy, elegant cake and the mustard sauce brought a tangy zip to the dish.  I had to work on my technique to flip the molds without making a mess. Now that I've got it down, the dish is quite simple.1883708771_IMG_4388(2).thumb.JPG.436e356573179dca1437a816d6ae53f6.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 9

7 minutes ago, fug said:

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. Growing up in the DC suburbs I've enjoyed my fair share of Maryland crab cakes - mayo, Old Bay, some bread crumbs. But, my all-time favorite is a delicate, creamy French crab cake from a now-closed DC restaurant named Le Caprice.  Last night I tried my hand at Galette de Crabe 'Le Bec-Fin' and it brought memories of Le Caprice back to me.  The shrimp mousse binder made for a light, airy, elegant cake and the mustard sauce brought a tangy zip to the dish.  I had to work on my technique to flip the molds without making a mess. Now that I've got it down, the dish is quite simple.1883708771_IMG_4388(2).thumb.JPG.436e356573179dca1437a816d6ae53f6.JPG

That looks beautiful, fug, and it's quite a first post! Is this a recipe and technique you'd care to share? I'm always on the hunt for good crab cakes, after having visited Maryland once or twice, but have never been satisfied with mine.

Welcome out of the lurker shadows, by the way. :) 

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That looks beautiful, fug, and it's quite a first post! Is this a recipe and technique you'd care to share? I'm always on the hunt for good crab cakes, after having visited Maryland once or twice, but have never been satisfied with mine.

Welcome out of the lurker shadows, by the way. :) 

Thanks, Smithy.  I used this recipe: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/life/food/2014/09/04/dinner-fancy-french-crab-cakes/15088255/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@fug -- Those crab cakes look marvelous, and after reading (and saving!) the recipe, they are now on my list for the next fancy dinner party or brunch I do. Actually, I think they'd be marvelous for brunch as part of a crab cake benedict, with the mustard sauce instead of hollandaise.....

Off to Sam's, where one can get relatively decent lump crab, vac-packed and frozen...at least, the best I'll get here in the landlocked middle of the country.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

@fug -- Those crab cakes look marvelous, and after reading (and saving!) the recipe, they are now on my list for the next fancy dinner party or brunch I do. Actually, I think they'd be marvelous for brunch as part of a crab cake benedict, with the mustard sauce instead of hollandaise.....

Off to Sam's, where one can get relatively decent lump crab, vac-packed and frozen...at least, the best I'll get here in the landlocked middle of the country.

One suggestion: Be extra careful when flipping the molds.  There is so much cream that the whole thing wants to come out of the mold, even when the bottom of the cake is set, and using two spatulas.  I ended up using a spatula on the bottom and a metal dough scraper (larger surface area than spatula and flat profile) on top of the mold, flipping so that the dough scraper was on the bottom. I then placed the scraper flat on the pan and carefully slid the mold horizontally back onto the cooking surface.  The first couple were a disaster until I figured that out.  

• Like 3

Cauliflower with turmeric bechamel, dukkah, chickpeas (they're under the cauliflower).

Salad of wheat berries, peaches, mozzarella, basil, balsamic vinegar.

IMG_20190923_210150.jpg

IMG_20190923_210854.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.