• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I need more help.  I'm still trying find the recipe.  I can find pictures on-line, I can find discussions, but no ranch dressing recipe.  I own a copy of Momofuko...never mind I found it.  Not obvious.  Why bother with an index if you don't list all the recipes?

The other problem is a source of pickled onions (not to mention picked ramps).  Shoprite has not been forthcoming.  Think Hellmann's could be substituted for Kewpie mayonnaise?

Known also as cocktail onions, for obvious reasons, you might try your local liquor store.

Kewpie is not mandatory at all.    I often think that calling for it is kind of a conceit.    I've heard that chefs like it because it has a bit of MSG, and they can use it yet technically remain MSG free.    So  if you have a secret confidential supply (as I do) you could always toss in a dash.

eGullet member #80.

12 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I thought @Shelby would approve! 

I'm beaming with pride :)  I've peeled those before and canned them one summer when tomatoes weren't producing.....takes a lot of patience lol.

I, too, am interested in how you pickle your beets.  I love those things, but every recipe I run across and try has way too much clove taste for me.  I guess I should try just leaving out the spices and do just vinegar and a bit of sugar.....

• Like 1

Made a couple of Ronnie's favorites .....dove casserole.  SO bad, but so good.  Fry the doves, make a gravy, bake for about 45 minutes.  I served over egg noodles, but rice or potatoes would be good too.

thumbnail_IMG_6895.jpg.5feac2c7742799c60d84aeb50385a168.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6896.jpg.009c62db8fffef307c279513c22bca0f.jpg

Last night was pheasant piccata

thumbnail_IMG_6897.jpg.4c6c9ab8d92b0eb03f3fc06edecbe155.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm beaming with pride :)  I've peeled those before and canned them one summer when tomatoes weren't producing.....takes a lot of patience lol.

I, too, am interested in how you pickle your beets.  I love those things, but every recipe I run across and try has way too much clove taste for me.  I guess I should try just leaving out the spices and do just vinegar and a bit of sugar.....

The latest flavour profile winner in our house for pickled beets is:

- Roasted Cumin & Coriander seeds - ground w/ a mortar.

- A couple cloves of thinly sliced garlic

- Lots of fresh chopped cilantro

- A mix of mostly balsamic, some rice wine vinegar, a splash of sherry vinegar

- S&P

My 2 year old gobbles them down.

Would love to hear how others do theirs....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

@FauxPas - Curious as to what flavour profile you use for your pickled beets....I have been making them for years and enjoy hearing how others season theirs!

I almost always have them in the fridge.I snack on them with popcorn (odd duck here). I like star anise and part balsamic. Sometimes a bit of orange zest and juice (I have trees). Sometimes I will toss some poor man's capers in (nasturtium seed pods) - adds a textural zing. And yes feta and beets are date matched :) (and maybe some toasted hazelnuts or walnuts)

ETA: always enough sugar to highlight their natural sweetness with amount depending on how naturally sweet they are.and rough cracked pepper. Trader Joe's Seville orange marmalade sometimes gets dolloped in. Any yes I admit to using canned beets if that is all available - but use the whole tiny ones.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don't like too much clove taste either. I like to use cinnamon sticks, just a hint of cloves and maybe a touch of star anise. 

• Like 1

Interesting!  I never would have thought of clove, cinnamon or star anise - but I can see why it would work!  Great ideas.

I also enjoy goat cheese and pickled beets (classic combo, pickled or not) with some baby arugula and roasted pumpkin seeds.

The remaining juices also make for a great salad dressing (I have also been known to take a shot glass of the stuff...)!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Interesting!  I never would have thought of clove, cinnamon or star anise - but I can see why it would work!  Great ideas.

I also enjoy goat cheese and pickled beets (classic combo, pickled or not) with some baby arugula and roasted pumpkin seeds.

The remaining juices also make for a great salad dressing (I have also been known to take a shot glass of the stuff...)!

I still like to throw a couple of hard-boiled eggs in the pickling juice and pull them out when the whites have just a tinge of rosy colour to them. A childhood memory, my dad liked doing that. They really impressed me when I was quite young!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Known also as cocktail onions, for obvious reasons, you might try your local liquor store.

Kewpie is not mandatory at all.    I often think that calling for it is kind of a conceit.    I've heard that chefs like it because it has a bit of MSG, and they can use it yet technically remain MSG free.    So  if you have a secret confidential supply (as I do) you could always toss in a dash.

I confess I worried a bit about the added MSG.  But now I have Kewpie on its way from amazon, and pickled ramps (and a lot of other stuff) coming in from Zingerman's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Pan seared tuna, crusted one side with everything bagel seasoning. Salad. TJ’s cauliflower gnocchi, these had been hanging out in the freezer for a while. I cooked them from frozen on a lightly oiled sheet pan, turning as they browned. Tossed in a bowl with some butter, pepper, parsley, and roasted garlic powder. The texture was chewy like regular gnocchi, they did crisp nicely in the oven, but there is a cauliflower aftertaste.  DH liked them and I will make them again, but with a more strongly flavored sauce.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

In case anyone was deluded into thinking that “nobody would know” these were made from cauliflower😜

Edited by BeeZee (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Tonight's dinner- quorn slices with barbecue sauce over sauteed fennel, chard, beet greens, onion, and carrot, with a side of cherry tomatoes baked with shichimi togarashi, grey salt, and garlic powder.

72056279_2531274190435179_5133289227928207360_n.jpg

• Like 3

D79EDBE2-476B-43EF-A988-84009EA70166.thumb.jpeg.6885fecae73bd25275adc5477affda96.jpeg

I went digging deep into my freezer drawers yesterday and unearthed two skinny lamb shoulder chops. I sous vided did them for about four hours at 54.5 and then attempted to sear them. They were cut so unevenly that searing them was almost impossible. But served with some peas and mint sauce they still made an adequate meal. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Dante said:

Tonight's dinner- quorn slices with barbecue sauce over sauteed fennel, chard, beet greens, onion, and carrot, with a side of cherry tomatoes baked with shichimi togarashi, grey salt, and garlic powder.

72056279_2531274190435179_5133289227928207360_n.jpg

I had to look up quorn, not having encountered it before. I've just gotten to my desk, and already I've learned my proverbial one new thing for the day. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

35 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I had to look up quorn, not having encountered it before. I've just gotten to my desk, and already I've learned my proverbial one new thing for the day. :P

I know the product - but have never encountered an eater. @Dante can you describe taste/texture? Thanks

Turns out the reason I didn't know about it is that it's not sold in Canada.

Apparently Canada has a minimum standard for nutrition that all faux-meat products must meet (...and now I've learned my second new thing for the day), and Quorn doesn't meet that standard. It could do so if the manufacturer opted to fortify the product, but this "does not meet with our brand values."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

I know the product - but have never encountered an eater. @Dante can you describe taste/texture? Thanks

Taste and texture of white meat chicken I found. Wegmans in the states has it in the freezer.

Mushroom allergic need to beware.

• Like 2

I'm ready for winter.  Not the holidays, but winter.  Supposed to freeze on Thursday night, so Wednesday and Thurs.  we will be doing a last pick of the garden.  Maybe some fried green tomatoes in my future :)  Anyway, it's been so nice--windows open.  Lows in the 40's.  Venison chili had to be made yesterday.

thumbnail_IMG_6898.jpg.0ae836855ba547804c1a94c0003d5ef8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6899.jpg.f4f45a7f19e1486a4a7abf02bef8d5f0.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6900.jpg.30fe5daae54fe378aad2addfbc95aefe.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Turns out the reason I didn't know about it is that it's not sold in Canada.

Apparently Canada has a minimum standard for nutrition that all faux-meat products must meet (...and now I've learned my second new thing for the day), and Quorn doesn't meet that standard. It could do so if the manufacturer opted to fortify the product, but this "does not meet with our brand values."

You are really having quite the day!

• Haha 2

Had a hankering for some oxtails late at night and had a package in the freezer.  

Braised them in a bottle of red wine with few cloves of garlic until tender then removed, chilled and pulled meat from bones and reduced the wine down by about 3/4 to yield a concentrated reduction.  

Next day caramelized sliced onions  until brown, reheated the meat in the wine reduction then built a sandwich on ciabatta using some tomato jam that has been waiting for something to happen.  Not the prettiest of pictures but it sure hit the spot 

D888F6B2-E4BD-4BDC-A6A3-B9547530A604.jpeg

BEF2EA43-EC6E-40CE-B58D-A553B7BCDFD7.jpeg

DB8461E7-44EB-46FB-BDBE-FCAF979F8639.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6