• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

This young lady ...

Good call. Ya gotta change your location on your profile as HK no longer works for northern Europe which we will be enjoying vicariously  ;)

• Thanks 1

5Wna67R.jpg?1

The haricots were from Trader Joe's (Guatemala) and the lamb was from Trader Joe's; it's grass-fed New Zealand, and it was tasty enough.  

The lamb was roasted in the CSO, after being salted and hanging out in the fridge for 6-8 hours. The haricots, butter braised.  The Yukon gold potatoes, tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper and pimentón, and steam roasted in the CSO. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

34 minutes ago, weinoo said:

5Wna67R.jpg?1

The haricots were from Trader Joe's (Guatemala) and the lamb was from Trader Joe's; it's grass-fed New Zealand, and it was tasty enough.  

The lamb was roasted in the CSO, after being salted and hanging out in the fridge for 6-8 hours. The haricots, butter braised.  The Yukon gold potatoes, tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper and pimentón, and steam roasted in the CSO. 

Were the potatoes and lamb cooked at the same time, or do you have more than 1 CSO in your kitchen?

• Like 1

@weinoo

was the NZ-GFL fresh or Fz ?

some time ago , Tj's had and may still have , outstanding Fz french's lamb racks from Canada.

that's all they hjad back then for lamb.

Im going to have to look into these.

nice tip.

42 minutes ago, scamhi said:

@shain can you give a recipe for the cauliflower? that picture is speaking to me

Roasted spiced cauliflower, with tomatoes, parsley, mint. Lemony tahini sauce on the side.

Actually based on all shain's posts - I think a cookbook w/ photos is in order! All the other vegetarian sites pale in comparison.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Were the potatoes and lamb cooked at the same time, or do you have more than 1 CSO in your kitchen?

Potatoes were cooked first and then basically kept warm on top of the oven while the lamb cooked.  Weren't as crispy this way, but still good. 

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo

was the NZ-GFL fresh or Fz ?

nice tip.

It was fresh. The rack was slightly over a pound (7 bones, iirc), and I think they run about $20/lb, which is quite fair around these parts. Especially when they're practically Frenched.  I do a tiny bit more butchering, by removing the silver skin, but that's it.

I cooked them, sans steam, at 425℉; after 15 minutes, I took their temp and it was a little low - I put them back in for another minute and a half, removed them at around 122℉, measured in the thickest part. Rested about 7 minutes - I couldn't wait any longer.

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Actually, now that you mentioned it, I could've definitely cooked the potatoes at the same time as the lamb. I had plenty of room in the pan, and the potatoes would've made a nice rack.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

@shain can you give a recipe for the cauliflower? that picture is speaking to me

Roasted spiced cauliflower, with tomatoes, parsley, mint. Lemony tahini sauce on the side.

Sure.

- Large head of cauliflower separated to florets.

- 2-4 tbspn olive oil

- 1/2 tsp salt

- 1/2 tsp cumin

- 1/2 tspn paprika

- 1/2 tsp turmeric (sometimes I use curry powder instead)

- dried chili to taste

Tahini sauce:

- 2 tbspn tahini paste (make sure its made of dehulled sesame) 

- 2-3 tbspn lemon juice, to taste

- 4 tbspn cold water

- salt to taste

Salsa:

- 1 large tomato, finely diced

- 1 small handful mint, finely minced

- 1 small handful parsley, finely minced

- Chili - fresh (diced) or dry, to taste

- Salt to taste

Make tahini sauce by mixing the ingredients very well. Add lemon and water if needed to adjust consistency.

Boil the cauliflower in very salty water, apx 5-7 minutes, drain and let dry out.

Add oil and spiced. Mix well.

Preheat oven to 230 deg C.

Bake on a parchment lined sheet, until well charred, but not overly soft. Flipping midway through. Apx. 45 minutes total.

Mix salsa ingredients. Add salt just before serving.

Drizzle tahini sauce and scatter salsa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Actually based on all shain's posts - I think a cookbook w/ photos is in order! All the other vegetarian sites pale in comparison.

Thanks Heidi :$

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Manakish breads.

Traditional ones with zaatar and olive oil (incl. some for the freezer).

Variations with feta cream. nigella seeds. Zaatar. Tomatoes, nigella and mint.

Served with labneh and chopped vegetable salad.

IMG_20190907_144047_1.thumb.jpg.6d4f09accd6bb15a89cafd25cb9e7ce8.jpg

IMG_20190907_143945_1.jpg

IMG_20190907_150453.jpg

IMG_20190907_150542.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

Saturday night, comfort food. My son was allowed to choose; he found this pasta in the supermarket and requested “ragu” with it.

390AEBA1-ECEC-44D9-B172-E16C43913299.thumb.jpeg.db5f46c3e60b48fed99eab1618366387.jpeg

So, ragù alla bolognese (pretty much Marcella Hazans version, with added anchovies) and this pasta. What can I say ... comfort food at its best ☺️

0888C074-EE7A-4C26-BACF-ED9A43AA55D1.thumb.jpeg.85b4dd3032859cb18ba54e60da81a2a8.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This recipe from Momofuku is made from mostly fresh ingredients.    Pickled ramps, if you are lucky; if not, pickled cocktail onions and green onions work beautifully.   

I need more help.  I'm still trying find the recipe.  I can find pictures on-line, I can find discussions, but no ranch dressing recipe.  I own a copy of Momofuko...never mind I found it.  Not obvious.  Why bother with an index if you don't list all the recipes?

The other problem is a source of pickled onions (not to mention picked ramps).  Shoprite has not been forthcoming.  Think Hellmann's could be substituted for Kewpie mayonnaise?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

42 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I need more help.  I'm still trying find the recipe.  I can find pictures on-line, I can find discussions, but no ranch dressing recipe.  I own a copy of Momofuko...never mind I found it.  Not obvious.  Why bother with an index if you don't list all the recipes?

The other problem is a source of pickled onions (not to mention picked ramps).  Shoprite has not been forthcoming.  Think Hellmann's could be substituted for Kewpie mayonnaise?

You have seen this right? http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/pork-shoulder-steak-and-ranch-dressing/ Kewpie is more runny and sweet/tart. The recipe is on  Eat Your Books but l do not want to subscribe Right there from what I can tell.

It's rare that I remember to take pics but I do have a few taken over the last little while I thought I would share. 

Our CSA farm share for the summer just ended. They also have an autumn one but we'll be away for too much of it. We had lots of cherry tomatoes! Too many for us to eat fresh, so I roasted them and/or froze them. I took the trouble to peel some of them during slow-roasting, I thought @Shelby would approve! 

IMG_20190613_134222.thumb.jpg.2b522ad88e409ea0d9b569cdddd78c0e.jpg

We had LOTS of beets in our farm share. Pickled beets. 

IMG_20190806_105853.thumb.jpg.7f11c7144e364506c3bece7954082afe.jpg

Borscht. 

IMG_20190714_115728.thumb.jpg.26ef2df9e35cdfada1eb27fe2619fd85.jpg

Pork chop (sous vide, then quick panfry) and a mix of pickled and roasted beets over beet greens with feta cheese and balsamic reduction. 

IMG_20190628_190141_1.thumb.jpg.16037c47eebcd8abbdfe2f601fc56792.jpg

Stuffed Poblano Peppers, Alex Guarnaschelli's recipe.  These were SO good and I was able to use a lot of CSA produce - poblanos, red peppers, tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil, topped with panko crumbs. Only wish I had a better photo, as the topping looks a bit burnt but it wasn't at all. 

IMG_20190828_175131.thumb.jpg.a75ac36340840c0cb55326f6bb27e5b1.jpg

Made that 'famous' NYT plum torte for dessert a couple of times. Not sure why, I don't really think it's all that great, though the plums were lovely. 

IMG_20190829_145937.thumb.jpg.500b9199199504f287443f7aa61c4318.jpg

Had local halibut and salmon a few times, of course. Another sub-par photo here, sigh, can't see the beautiful flaking of the fish for some reason. Corn and peppers and potatoes from farm share or local farm market. Panko crusted halibut with a garlic and serrano pepper aoli. 

IMG_20190829_191324.thumb.jpg.e02ca350e0f312caf9e70148982eb8a1.jpg

Not the most appetizing photo but using up more produce and my husband had a craving for a chuck patty with cheese. The green beans were braised with tomatoes and garlic and onion and seasoned with cayenne and paprika, a version of Lebanese loobyeh.

IMG_20190903_192240.thumb.jpg.fb1229fd6e6362863aace32b7987a054.jpg

A few nights ago, we had Thai chicken skewers with peanut sauce. 

IMG_20190929_194541.thumb.jpg.c911e4ac8da806ae864ae2230406514b.jpg

Then we had Filipino pork adobo, thought I had a photo but can't find it now. 

Another pork chop with a plum and balsamic reduction, corn + peppers, potatoes. IMG_20190930_185948.thumb.jpg.dc03243e67fe26f9db10285a9e658b55.jpg

We had lots of berries from local farms, strawberries finally came to an end about a week ago. These were the last ones of the season, still delicious though! Had them for dessert with a little bit of vanilla ice cream. 

IMG_20190930_170146.thumb.jpg.9bd2ac10aa3d904d47f59916f4e8b7da.jpg

Good old standby, aglio e olio! This was with asiago cheese. 

IMG_20190816_190530.jpg

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 6

@FauxPas,  love our local halibut.  I can see the flakes.   Need to have it a few more times while it is still in season.

I have a very happy husband. I wasn't hungry tonight so  I made him a salad. And not just any salad, but his favourite Caesar Salad.

1221597365_CaesarSaladOctober5th2019.thumb.jpg.ca28f51d03f6a2e7358758d429573eed.jpg

Homemade dressing with coddled egg and anchovies. Homemade croutons, Parmesan cheese and for the finishing touch - Roquefort Cheese.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:31 PM, heidih said:

You have seen this right? http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/pork-shoulder-steak-and-ranch-dressing/ Kewpie is more runny and sweet/tart. The recipe is on  Eat Your Books but l do not want to subscribe Right there from what I can tell.

Thanks, I saw the link.  I did not see the recipe there.

Indeed Eat Your Books shows the recipe is in Momofuku.  But I had Momofuku open in front of me and could not find it.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
Spelling...twice (log)

Not one to wax rhapsodic over a can of soup.  That said, I shall.  Tonight's repast was to have been more interesting.  Forgive me.  Maybe we can get to that tomorrow.

Nonetheless Progresso New England Clam Chowder is a revelation on the Paragon.  Chowder was served pipping hot.  Potatoes were not mush.  Clams were lovely and not in the least bit like rubber.  No horrid browned burned bits on the bottom of the pot.  Cream sauce howsoever artificial did not break or run.

Only morsel retained in my dentation was a pecan piece from the 14 ounce pint* of Haagen-Dazs.

*so called.

• Like 3