• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

9 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

My husband has ordered from Heritage Foods a couple of times.  About three years ago we did a two day Thanksgiving feast, with a regular bird one day and a bird from Heritage Foods another day.   People had very strong opinions about which was better.  We got their catalog recently but I don't think my husband kept it to browse through for whatever reason.

Meal number two from Vietnamese Food Any Day: shrimp in coconut caramel sauce.  I had a different dinner planned but got home later than expected and this was fast because I made the caramel sauce base over the weekend in anticipation of cooking from this book this week.

754774208_coconutcaramelshrimp2.thumb.jpg.051992b2e1ba06e06dce46009da7f3c8.jpg

People have come to expect big breasted turkeys with lots of white meat and generally prefer modern birds to the old breeds. It's a different story with hogs, in my experience.  This will be the first time I will have tried their beef.

• Like 6

I had plans to make cabbage rolls for dinner last night.

While in town we had Halibut fish and chips for lunch and didn't really want a big dinner.

1000769851_CabbagerollsOctober1st20192.thumb.jpg.d36307b9acb8a4bd6eb8248073f483a0.jpg

So I went ahead and made the cabbage rolls anyway, and rather than make a full dinner, we had just the cabbage rolls without any sides.

1547056634_CabbagerollsOctober1st20191.thumb.jpg.f04338651537d555248cc590b60fdc31.jpg

Stuffed with pork and rice. Served with sour cream.

1262799483_ButterTartsSeptember30th20191.thumb.jpg.6906477a6930946001dfe22ad8ba1c81.jpg

Butter tarts for dessert.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

It was cool yesterday so used up some cooked bison, red pepper and onion with some Italian sausage to make myself a small lasagna along with a green salad.  Today is hot and muggy so iced tea and not sure what will come....

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

E111EEB0-350A-44B4-82D8-145AC6030230.thumb.jpeg.28370a833b30db3a63d0c8d8204a409c.jpeg

Very similar to yesterday‘s dinner but there was a bit of cheddar and three mushrooms that as my sister would say “want using up” and while I’ve never subscribed to the notion that mushrooms or cheddar cheese want anything, nevertheless... The skillet toast is spread with some multi-grain mustard. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I went to a food fair recently and by the end of the day one of the stands gave away what was left for free. not being greedy, I just took some cheese. 1 kg Taleggio and abt 2 kg of Manchego. First dish: risotto with taleggio, fig and bacon chip. for the risotto I used fermented red grape juice, the one just before turning into wine, still a sweet hint, but already enough alcohol

IMG_4830.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

First attempt with the 2nd donabe I've bought. Nothing wrong with the first one but it's pretty big, so I went down to Korin and picked up a more reasonably sized one for the two of us.

EeLHpYy.jpg?1

Chicken ginger rice. Made the dashi, which using a dashi tea bag took about 4 minutes. Chicken thighs marinated in sake, soy, nam pla. Lots of julienned ginger. A touch of sesame oil, and scallions to garnish.  

My one mistake was measuring the liquid incorrectly, for reasons that shall remain a secret.  So, a little overcooked on the rice but just great taste, and this is easy. Served with assorted pickled veg and sautéed broccoli.

The donabe will start to see a lot of use.

• Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The Korean BBQ seasoned Wagyu Short Ribs from Heritage Foods (Kalbi) arrived and was cooked for dinner a few hours later.  They were delicious.  We had them with some of the spicy pork bulgogi from yesterday. 

20191002_164742.jpg

20191002_170233.jpg

20191002_165157.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 17

@Ann_T – I don’t care at all for cooked cabbage, but I always suspect I might like cabbage rolls.  Something about the meat and the sauce.  Yours looks like something I’d really like to try.

Tonight started with the ubiquitous salad:

DSCN0130.JPG.05c02adc4e02a9a80d60b7f6bc71c4da.JPG

CSO “BBQ” chicken, Leah’s baked beans, and fixed up Kraft:

DSCN0129.JPG.55f4d3ca961918718d928a51e4969de9.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – I don’t care at all for cooked cabbage, but I always suspect I might like cabbage rolls.  Something about the meat and the sauce.  Yours looks like something I’d really like to try.

@Kim Shook,  the recipe is on the blog.  Actually there are two. You might like the Greek version.  I use savoy cabbage when I make cabbage rolls.

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2010/03/cabbage-rolls.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Very similar to yesterday‘s dinner but there was a bit of cheddar and three mushrooms that as my sister would say “want using up” and while I’ve never subscribed to the notion that mushrooms or cheddar cheese want anything, nevertheless... The skillet toast is spread with some multi-grain mustard. 

Hot mushrooms on toast is one of my favorite winter dinners.  Yours looks delectable.  

Dinner number three from Vietnamese Any Day.  Coconut kissed chicken and chiles, and smacked cucumber salad sans the optional shrimp the recipe calls for.  Plus rice.  The coconut flavor in the chicken comes from coconut oil and coconut water.

2112172150_coconutcaramelchicken.thumb.jpg.59a989eeddbd03717992f5f567c62059.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

@Kim Shook,  the recipe is on the blog.  Actually there are two. You might like the Greek version.  I use savoy cabbage when I make cabbage rolls.

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2010/03/cabbage-rolls.html

Thank you so much, @Ann_T.  I just checked with Mr. Kim and he says he's willing to give them a try only because it is you. 😊  He was traumatized as a child by the greasy ones made by his mom.  

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Linguine with slow cooked pork ragu made from fresh tomatoes, shallots, chilli, red wine and secret ingredient*. Finished with balcony basil and grana padano.

* Vietnamese fish sauce - liquid unami.

Interesting. In the US fish sauce has become quite the recognized "extra oomph" in many dishes including ragu. 

• Like 1

Back in Germany - lazy dinner after unpacking boxes and assembling cupboards: braised rabbit, jus, tomato & mozzarella salad, zaziki, bread. Enjoyed with some decent cava ...

8910B95C-CFB8-4965-86E4-A15BFA22D0DE.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 21

When I was at the store a few days ago getting the pork shoulder for the bulgogi, I also picked up a couple of steaks.  A day or two later I got some okra at the farmers market and today when I decided to cook them I noticed a package of Velveeta alfredo cheese bowl in the cupboard that had been there a long long time . I thought I should either cook it or throw it away, so I cooked it, we tasted it, and then I threw it away.

20191003_174237.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

Kids dinner: duck legs in plum sauce, steamed rice and zucchini. It was so long I didn’t make this duck. So easy, it’s going to go into rotation, kids loved it. Me and husband finished the octopus I made for lunch, shishito peppers and some flap on the cast iron grill. 

54F78F9C-8282-4E96-847C-7A6261F2AE60.jpeg

6330C342-3480-44AE-9A56-52BD8EB81F00.jpeg

BDC00D41-A260-4084-B559-AD19121B5699.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

41 minutes ago, Franci said:

Kids dinner: duck legs in plum sauce, steamed rice and zucchini. It was so long I didn’t make this duck. So easy, it’s going to go into rotation, kids loved it. Me and husband finished the octopus I made for lunch, shishito peppers and some flap on the cast iron grill. 

I love love duck and our Chinese markets sell the legs and wings  separate. How do you cook it.  My craving is full blown (as is my octopus one- oy )

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, heidih said:

I love love duck and our Chinese markets sell the legs and wings  separate. How do you cook it.  My craving is full blown (as is my octopus one- oy )

Heidi, this was the recipe for a full duck, I halved the quantities of wine, soy sauce, plum sauce for the 2 legs. I loved her blog, a great, great cook, too bad she left it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2