• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

46 minutes ago, Vapre said:

Nope, keep looking.

OK, I give up.  My copy is the Kindle version without page numbers and the index entry that I think you have in mind is not hyperlinked.  But if I had to guess I'd say the tortilla picture was on page 665.

Anyone with the dead tree edition want to jump in and help?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Fried tofu with a sauce of mayonnaise, chile-bean paste, scallions, and garlic, topped with quick-pickled shredded carrot, daikon, and cucumber, on a bun. Accompanied by weird chickpea puffs that I found at the co-op.

71581277_2397624110514999_2857514060688130048_n.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

OK, I give up.  My copy is the Kindle version without page numbers and the index entry that I think you have in mind is not hyperlinked.  But if I had to guess I'd say the tortilla picture was on page 665.

Anyone with the dead tree edition want to jump in and help?

Maybe it's the same joke. The physical copy (it's at home, I am not) is 240 pp. and the index references something close to p.665.

1 hour ago, Vapre said:

Maybe it's the same joke. The physical copy (it's at home, I am not) is 240 pp. and the index references something close to p.665.

Not close to 665 -- exactly 665.  What is the page number of the demonic tortilla at the end?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, Franci said:

I made a pretty good soup, sorry Anna, made a batch of chickpeas yesterday, you are going to see them everywhere for a couple of days. 

I could manage to ignore the chickpeas if I were gnawing on a couple of those lamb chops!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Sometimes I grab a cookbook off the shelf and make food from it all week.  

Wish I could discipline myself to do this. It would be a bit challenging now that I must rely on others to do my grocery shopping but not impossible. If I thought I could make meals like yours I would give it a lot more effort!  

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner party with for friends Saturday night.  

Rumaki paté with baguette slices = chicken livers, water chestnuts, bacon,, soy, butter, -> blender.

1142079985_ScreenShot2019-10-01at7_31_22AM.thumb.png.e65bd860cd1ecc473e2f0d2d1e713c0d.png

Boudin noir with caramelized pears, drizzle of mustard cream

64249472_ScreenShot2019-10-01at7_32_27AM.thumb.png.28bf3b92fb223b237d1a404b1e63c345.png

Big fish soup = rich fish stock, tomato, herbs, garlic, safron, orange peel, fennel, mussels, swordfish, ling cod, prawns; rouille on toasts

Too busy getting this to the table hot for pics

Bread

364149599_ScreenShot2019-10-01at7_32_10AM.thumb.png.9d6c0ebc0d086ee9d7ff1af616c2213f.png

Cheese

1568494874_ScreenShot2019-10-01at7_31_37AM.thumb.png.ad5d8cebbab139edc9aef2e8cc69b1b4.png

Corsican cheesecake  = ricotta, eggs, sugar, no flour, served with crushed strawberries

385290512_ScreenShot2019-10-01at7_31_55AM.thumb.png.28e2af91519777f2dab3ae932b72e0e5.png

Lots of wine, lots of good cheer.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

eGullet member #80.

17 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Sometimes I grab a cookbook off the shelf and make food from it all week.  This week I picked Andrea Nguyen's Vietnamese Food Every Day.  Tonight's dinner was ginger-garlic fish parcels.  She suggests salmon or halibut, and I used salmon.  The sauce is oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, pepper, garlic and ginger.  The parchment parcels have a layer of baby bok choy tossed with sesame oil, scallions, and then fish topped with the sauce and scallion greens.  I served with rice. Very nice dinner.

salmon.thumb.jpg.0d97ad0e5a15b18d6f55319bea1662e7.jpg

That sauce sounds absolutely gorgeous!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not close to 665 -- exactly 665.  What is the page number of the demonic tortilla at the end?

off by one number?

• Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Rural Spain, Alajár, in the Sierra de Aracena. One of the least visited corners of Spain. If you don't like silence and the simple life then you'd be extremely miserable here. Meanwhile I go to extraordinary lengths to avoid people and noise. Like this!6GxbhA4.jpg

The only restaurant in the village that opens for dinner on weekdays doesn't open until 9pm, so I was drinking some beer by the pool until then.

fBj1vrA.jpg

From where I was sitting. Hiked to the white arch up there today for marvellous views of the village.

TI56flD.jpg

Finally dinner.

3HSQfNM.jpg

Spanish olives and oils are the best to me.

CRd5iBn.jpg

Sabores de la sierra.Only Ibérico pork products here in this area of Spain. If you want normal white pork then there's no point and you've come to the wrong place. Braised pork cheeks, with sauce underneath.

nbOxwNE.jpg

Pan-fried pork fillet. Ibérico pork is dark and tender it's fine to drink red wine with it.

vAYlhJa.jpg

Last rooftop picnic in Portugal. Black pork charcuterie from Alentejo state (Portugal has the same Ibérico black pigs as in Spain).

N33wZjz.jpg

Fresh goat's cheese and Portuguese craft beers

ueiP39M.jpg

6JM4Dcg.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Wonderful Bonvivant! The only thing I’ve never been able to appreciate in Portugal is their presunto. I am such a huge fan of Jamon that I think at this point, I prefer it to the Italian prosciutto (I think that they can take away my passport just for saying this 🤣)  

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

20191001_162723.thumb.jpg.d35ed554c67b641d62a54cc03cf66c52.jpg

Cheese quesadillas and salsa with grated cheese mixed in. Chips on the side. An avocado would not have gone amiss. But I didnt have one. Thought about making refried beans. But I didnt think about it long.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

33 minutes ago, kayb said:

But I didnt think about it long.

I wouldn’t have thought about it for a nanosecond. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

22E379ED-2FFF-42A6-A627-988D049E366B.jpeg.194507ba274510d72287f061d719ddf2.jpeg

A small but potent umami bomb. Garlic toast topped with blue cheese and then some well sautéed mushrooms and a drizzle of honey. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

It was several years ago when a farmer here in Kansas started raising vintage breed turkeys for sale. It started a company called Heritage Foods which took the idea and expanded it to all kinds of food and is headquartered in NYC now.  I plan to have some heritage ham for Thanksgiving along with a more commercial turkey. They sent me a catalog that had Korean BBQ Wagyu ribs (beef) which I ordered and expect to get here tomorrow. Today I made some spicy Korean pork to go with it and a couple of steaks for today but Charlie wanted to have the pork today and there is a lot of it so I did some on the grill and that was our dinner.

20191001_170111.jpg

20191001_170525.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13

@robirdstx - I can't tell you how utterly delicious that looks.  Especially after my lazy dinner.  

My dinner was, as I said, extremely lazy.  In my defense, I have a migraine and am off in about 2 minutes to some hydrocodone and a dark room.  I had these crackers I made:

DSCN0124.JPG.cc1bbd1eeb0ebb819c3c9b3d5cf3aea0.JPG

And a giant tub of spinach, artichoke heart and Parm dip from Costco.  Literally a giant tub plopped down on the table beside the computer.  Wish I'd thought to make @robirdstx's pasta earlier!  

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

It was several years ago when a farmer here in Kansas started raising vintage breed turkeys for sale. It started a company called Heritage Foods which took the idea and expanded it to all kinds of food and is headquartered in NYC now.  I plan to have some heritage ham for Thanksgiving along with a more commercial turkey. They sent me a catalog that had Korean BBQ Wagyu ribs (beef) which I ordered and expect to get here tomorrow. Today I made some spicy Korean pork to go with it and a couple of steaks for today but Charlie wanted to have the pork today and there is a lot of it so I did some on the grill and that was our dinner.

My husband has ordered from Heritage Foods a couple of times.  About three years ago we did a two day Thanksgiving feast, with a regular bird one day and a bird from Heritage Foods another day.   People had very strong opinions about which was better.  We got their catalog recently but I don't think my husband kept it to browse through for whatever reason.

Meal number two from Vietnamese Food Any Day: shrimp in coconut caramel sauce.  I had a different dinner planned but got home later than expected and this was fast because I made the caramel sauce base over the weekend in anticipation of cooking from this book this week.

754774208_coconutcaramelshrimp2.thumb.jpg.051992b2e1ba06e06dce46009da7f3c8.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3