• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

4 hours ago, lindag said:

How interesting.  Can we see this fryer?

Paragon08192019.png

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/150644-another-player-enters-the-sous-vide-field-paragon-induction-cooktop/?do=findComment&comment=2212331

So far I've settled in on four minutes at 375F for the chicken thigh.  I no longer feel the need to monitor with the thermocouple.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Has the chicken thigh been sousvided first?

Yes, then dried.  Perfect flesh, skin crisper than I can achieve in the CSO.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

thank you so much.  I mean it

Ill have Phantasmagoric Nightmares tonight for sure

Crispy this Crispy that.

how much oil do you use , and what do you do with the oil after a Fry ?

that's   my  " Out "

I use about a gallon of peanut oil, exact amount not critical.

After the fry I simply place the cover on the pot.  Frying unbattered chicken does not contaminate the oil.  On the other hand after frying potatoes I do have to strain burnt bits from the oil.  So far I've been able to strain the used oil without mess -- by using my iSi strainer and funnel -- directly back into the gallon bottle.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

I will not buy a Paragon, I will not buy a Paragon, I will not buy a Paragon, I will . . .

Will you really?

One good thing about being 50 miles behind the parade is that there is so little motivation to catch up.     I'd have to buy sous vide apparatus, a Paragon, after I bought an IP and friends.    I should write a book on cooking in the cave.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Will you really?

One good thing about being 50 miles behind the parade is that there is so little motivation to catch up.     I'd have to buy sous vide apparatus, a Paragon, after I bought an IP and friends.    I should write a book on cooking in the cave.

Paragon is marketed as a sous vide device...

12 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Grilled Sausage Wrap 

I would never have thought of that. Thank you.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Celebrating two new teeth -- thanks to the suggestion from @mgaretz

Dinner09302019.png

Carnitas Tacos from Roberto Santibanez's Tacos, Tortas, and Tamales.  Pork is braised in garlic, white onion, spices, coke.  The recipe calls for a cup of coke.  I used 355 ml, give or take a swig.

Long about the hour and a half point the pork looked perfect.  I followed the recipe and cooked for the full two and a half hours.  My amount of meat was less than called for and I wish I had stopped braising at an hour and a half.  Not a fault of the recipe.

Salsa is Salsa Mexicana from Tacos Recipes and Provocations by Alex Stupak and Jordana Rothman.

Salsa09302019.png

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

30 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

interested in the Charred yam and potato salad Rx , if possible.

always interested in eating more Yams/sweet potato

Yukon golds diced and boiled for about 8 minutes.

Sweet Pots/Yams diced and pan fried till very dark on several sides. This takes some attention as a side can overcook and just be burned.

Dressed with mayo and a few splashes of jalapeno cider vinegar. S/P

I let it rest an hour ...maybe add a splash of HOAc and serve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Needed my favorite food yesterday.  I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce yesterday afternoon.  Now I don't have to can tomatoes today :) 

Had venison meatballs in the fridge.  Need to make some more of those asap.

thumbnail_IMG_6876.jpg.728f5fd826161b2d5daf0515c3d8eaea.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6878.jpg.09e5ab793bc8f150479b5ab856ba4a6f.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Salsa is Salsa Mexicana from Tacos Recipes and Provocations by Alex Stupak and Jordana Rothman.

If it hasn’t come up yet, check the ‘s’ section of the index.

Pizza again for dinner.   Apparently this is becoming a weekly tradition. 

Made two batches of dough on Saturday and both went into the fridge.  Leaving one in the fridge until later this week and the other

made two pizzas and a baguette.

1876678552_VegetarianDeluxeSeptember29th2019.thumb.jpg.62a4a93fcdc92f5c1a892b1668d18609.jpg

A vegetarian version for Matt

299671933_PepperoniDeluxeSeptember29th2019.thumb.jpg.295f4a7e845964d55ce4e0152f1d05e4.jpg

and a Pepperoni and olive for Moe.  I had one piece.   I'm tired of pepperoni. Going back to my favourite of Sausage and mushroom next time. 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Sometimes I grab a cookbook off the shelf and make food from it all week.  This week I picked Andrea Nguyen's Vietnamese Food Every Day.  Tonight's dinner was ginger-garlic fish parcels.  She suggests salmon or halibut, and I used salmon.  The sauce is oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, pepper, garlic and ginger.  The parchment parcels have a layer of baby bok choy tossed with sesame oil, scallions, and then fish topped with the sauce and scallion greens.  I served with rice. Very nice dinner.

salmon.thumb.jpg.0d97ad0e5a15b18d6f55319bea1662e7.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3