• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Picnic on the roof again. Sheep's cheese and fresh goat's cheese.

OaTi6zT.jpg

85ssnKn.jpg

Two different kinds of presunto.

oeBjm9E.jpg

The aftermath of the beautiful creature.

TkFzdbG.jpg

On 9/26/2019 at 1:45 AM, Duvel said:

After four years in Hong Kong, I will be transferring back to Germany next month.

Sadz! Good luck with the repatriation. I see meals of Mett and other Rheinland specialities in a near future.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

So my wife's birthday was last weekend, and I asked her what she wanted for dinner (we went out the night before)

She picked Crepes with Ratatouille and goat cheese.  I wasn't feeling well on Sunday so I didn't make this until last night.

Weds I made the  Ratatouille, which takes a bit of time by itself:

20190925_193108.thumb.jpg.a8704a4d5da0c21f7a378cfe5c33c3e3.jpg

A colorful dish if not the best looking, this tastes really good.

So last night I made the crepes, we filled them, added cheese (her crepes have a lot more goat cheese then pictured), and baked till heated through and slightly crispy crepe edges:

20190926_185625.thumb.jpg.68d40a969a055dd614ddaa7f65ec8d62.jpg

I've made this 3 times this year, I'm getting better at the components each time.  She confirmed this is her favorite vegetarian thing I make.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

@Raamo, looks enticing! Recipe for Ratatouille, please?

Eggplant in 1 inch chunks (We drop the eggplant, don't care for it)

Zucchin cut in fairly thin discs.

Toss with salt and drain with something heavy on it for a while (I think it was an hour) and then ring them out with a towel.  Basically get as much water out of them as you can.

Take 1 Red Pepper and quarter it,  Same with 2 medium Tomatoes and 1 medium onion.

Put all this with the Zuc and Eggplant from above in a single layer of sheet pan (I line with foil).  Cover with a few tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper.

Also take a garlic, chop some of the top off to make it easier to get to the good stuff, put in foil pouch with some olive oil, salt and pepper.  Seal this up by crimping. 

Place the pouch and the tray in a 450F oven.  Stir often, until the onions start to brown on edge and peppers get wrinkly.  Depending upon quality of veg this time varies (25-45 mins).  Check the garlic occasionally - one time I made this it was blackened, don't want that.

Once done roasting, get skins off red peppers (we put in a bowl covered with plastic film, then it's easy)  put yummy part of garlic with tomatoes in a food processor or blender and puree them.

Chop all the other veg into desired size, combine with the tomato puree and enjoy.

I much prefer putting this ratatouille into crepes as that adds a 2nd texture.

• Thanks 2

Last night, spicy turkey stir fry with crisp garlic and ginger from NY Times Cooking.  Here is the link.  I doubled the liquids and chiles

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020222-spicy-turkey-stir-fry-with-crisp-garlic-and-ginger?action=click&module=Local Search Recipe Card&pgType=search&rank=1

416372377_spicyturkeywithgarlicandginger.thumb.jpg.b0b1e20e8ff8f67d6410617a72a0954c.jpg

That's it for poultry for a few days.  I stopped at Eataly on the way home tonight and picked up halibut, scallops, and black sea bass.

Edited by liamsaunt
add link to recipe (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

14 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

This is a restaurant in and English speaking country/ region? 

yes, yes it is.  Vermont, actually.  :)   It's my neighbor's business and, well, she has a sense of humour.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

Those dumplings look good - too bad the company has such an unfortunate name!

Heh, it's my neighbor's business, and she's got a very silly sense of humour.  She also has a very loyal and steadily growing fan base. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, heidih said:

That is what dogs or ants are for ;)

We were guests for dinner at an internationally known foodie.    He was at home, awaiting the arrival of his working wife, and feeding a toddler.    The kid, of course, dropped a measurable proportion of his dinner on the floor.   When he was deemed finished, an enormous, beautiful dog was released from his "stay" position, and polished the floor.    Well done!      (I need a dog,)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

44 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Mine with ranch

966974067_photo1.thumb.JPG.b35dbf44616957871c33785539c92619.JPG

Ranch recipe please!  I recently tried Penzeys' ranch mix and was disappointed.  It was mostly salt.  (To their credit Penzeys issued me a refund.)

Couple of months ago I was at a library conference.  For lunch buffet I found myself the first in line.  Food was far from special but the ranch dressing was pretty good.  When I went back for seconds the ranch dressing was gone.  Gone.  Half a dozen other salad dressing choices but no ranch.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Last night, spicy turkey stir fry with crisp garlic and ginger from NY Times Cooking.  Here is the link.  I doubled the liquids and chiles

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020222-spicy-turkey-stir-fry-with-crisp-garlic-and-ginger?action=click&module=Local Search Recipe Card&pgType=search&rank=1

That's it for poultry for a few days.  I stopped at Eataly on the way home tonight and picked up halibut, scallops, and black sea bass.

And do we not all wish stopping off at Eataly was possible. You are killing us!  Oh I have ik but it would tame me hour and a half each way within the city https://www.eataly.com/us_en/stores/los-angeles/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Margaret Pilgrim - what is "family dressing"?  

I definitely over-shopped for my friend’s visit earlier this week.  Lots of cheese that wasn’t eaten when she was here meant a cheese and bits and pieces dinner last night.  Cheeses:

DSCN0091.JPG.f45172b39cffce563e23695aa02057dc.JPG

From 12 o’clock – Cheddar, Spring Brook Farm Tarentaise, bleu, fromage d’Affinois, Appalachian, and manchego.  The plate has some kind of truffled cheese on it.  I detest truffles in any form (other than chocolate😁), so I was making sure that it wouldn’t touch anything I might want to eat. 

Sausage and crackers:

DSCN0092.JPG.4fb6c47cc3f51b130bb3eab588b13979.JPG

The upper right crackers are ones that I make with frozen dumplings (flat, like noodles) and the sausage is beef from Sausage Works in NC.  Also:

DSCN0090.JPG.b9323f2339c06c81f166201c2f08ec70.JPG

DSCN0084.JPG.9e1b95ef8f9d445c46678e576618a323.JPG

Jessica’s contribution:

DSCN0093.thumb.JPG.28b42c12479407baf7b50ca4752dbf27.JPG

Rotel dip and chips.

Fruit and salad:

DSCN0094.JPG.0f33161764ac253dac443f230956abe8.JPG

Hard deli rolls and pimento cheese sausage balls:

DSCN0095.JPG.5c0fb1b103122a16ea59694edea4c62e.JPG

We still have a LOT of cheese left.

Now I have a little story for you.  So, Mr. Kim, Jessica and I are having dinner at a favorite Chinese restaurant tonight.  Jess and I share the Pupu, as always, and she orders Crispy Beef with Orange Peel as her main course.  Our food comes.  Jessica puts a couple of pieces on her plate and I take a piece of hers, too.  I eat mine – it’s good.  I plan on eating more.  She decides to get up and wash her hands.  While she is gone, the waitress comes by and says, “Did I give her chicken or beef?”.  We look at the plate and sure enough, it is chicken.  We didn’t even notice.  Ok, easily fixed.  Waitress says, “Did she eat it?”.  Forgetting that I ate a piece, we say, “no”.  So, the waitress, using a large spoon and HER FINGERS takes the two pieces of chicken off Jessica’s plate and puts them on the main plate.  She puts down Jessica’s ACTUAL order (beef) and carries the chicken plate down to another table and serves it to them.  Let that sink in.  Mr. Kim and I sit there appalled.  I am smothering a fit of giggles and Mr. Kim is so flummoxed that he knocks his entire glass of water into his lap.  At this point, Jessica comes back to the table and seeing us, says, “What’s wrong?”.  We explain and she says, “Well, I ate the pineapple and the cherry off the plate and I’m pretty sure there is a maraschino cherry stem on that plate”. 🤣

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

17 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This recipe from Momofuku is made from mostly fresh ingredients.    Pickled ramps, if you are lucky; if not, pickled cocktail onions and green onions work beautifully.   

Oh, but this brings up different question for which I was about to start a separate thread!

Back a while I purchased a lovely boneless roast of pork shoulder from amazon.  There was more meat than I envisioned.  I cubed the meat, bagged the excess, and then froze it.  Now I have a bag of pork shoulder cubes.  Can I grill them??  Or should I braise or anova them?  Is pork shoulder suitable for dry heat?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had to get more cheese and other hams from this market delicatessen. So far it's the only one in town I've found with a big selection of only Portuguese cheese.

RT4X0Zz.jpg

vslJQAI.jpg

Quince marmelada* is also from the same shop. (*The English word marmalade comes directly from Portuguese word marmelada)

0oLFV0u.jpg

The more expensive the ham the better it tastes.

tINarIE.jpg

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

The English word marmalade comes directly from Portuguese word marmelada

Not "directly". French borrowed it from Portuguese as "marmelade" and English borrowed it from the French. All the earliest recorded usages in English use the French or the English spellings.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto