• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

We had dessert for dinner. Picked some rhubarb from the garden and baked a free form rustic tart. Cut a stalk of rhubarb into three long strips and placed the strips around the inside edge of the rolled out pastry and then folded the pastry over the rhubarb and sealed to form the sides of the tart.

658633758_RhubarbTartSeptember25th2019.thumb.jpg.f966ca3884a711e4a2b19e67cb0b716f.jpg

We ate lunch out, and Moe wasn't hungry for dinner.

1864127754_RhubarbTartSeptember25th20193.thumb.jpg.e6610430f198c39ecd05a446219d1aa6.jpg

He was happy with just warm rhubarb tart and ice cream.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

57 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What makes it 5-Way?

I know, I know!!!  🙋‍♀️ (Used to live near Cincinnati) 

Chili

Pasta

Beans

Onions

Cheese

Is anyone else as ridiculous as I am when debating hitting the “like” button or not?  I consider whether I could avoid the things I dislike – ie: could I eat around the mushrooms or skim off the topping of raw onions?  If so, I “like” it.  I can’t get rid of spice, so those don’t get a “like”.  Etc.  As if anyone truly cares whether they get a “like” from Kim Shook or not.  LOL

@Ann_T – I would adore either of your Khachapuri (bread and cheese are life to me), but the escargot one makes me positively swoon!  Genius. 

Had an old, dear friend from high school come for a quick visit on her way back to Boston from NC.  She is a joy to cook for – loves to eat and loves all kinds of food.  Dinner was shrimp burgers:

DSCN0075.JPG.8a08e9ec1319e2e0b92f85ad78430298.JPG

IP collard greens:

DSCN0076.JPG.406a1c96b81b5f2f11fd5dfd7ad328f3.JPG

9 minute perfection.

Jessica’s “Street Corn”:

DSCN0074.JPG.2e665820579f1a84e57f5e8547ac061c.JPG

Plated:

DSCN0077.JPG.624be98a251b3692b1ddc6985e6f855a.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Went to the town's market to get a few things for dinner.

NdT7pqc.jpg

Golden hour on the rooftop terrace.

dswj4vi.jpg

20 euro vinho verde in paper cups (but I also had to drink Dom Perignon in plastic cups somewhere else). Portuguese eat coriander and Spanish prefer parsley. Their golden age of trading with distant countries explains this.

jJMUWvP.jpg

At the market earlier

elW8QNi.jpg

And the price

39N3Bxn.jpg

All most all barnacles are still attached to a chunk of rock, which I also paid for. And rock is heavier than the barnacles!

ETT0oER.jpg

At my lodging you are welcome to help yourself to a shot of nice port.

TTyhJpW.jpg

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

After four years in Hong Kong, I will be transferring back to Germany next month.

I too will miss your posts. Although we live not so far apart, we have had two different Chinese life and cuisine experiences. I will also miss your reports from other parts of Asia.

That said, I'm now looking forward to your European gustatory exploits.

Good luck and safe journey home.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sorry to put an end to the beautiful pictures. Bangers N Mash do not photo all that well. Especially when ones husband drops a bombshell as you go to make the Gravy. 

Apparently the sinner prefers Tomato Ketchup!?!? After all these years 🤯

20190926_202119.thumb.jpg.f320bfa1005669eb5c4ed4af20699508.jpg

Yeah so after the photo, I scooped the peas to the side and puddled him some Ketchup. Off to ponder how bad my Gravy is! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 3

32 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Sorry to put an end to the beautiful pictures. Bangers N Mash do not photo all that well. Especially when ones husband drops a bombshell as you go to make the Gravy. 

20190926_202119.thumb.jpg.f320bfa1005669eb5c4ed4af20699508.jpg

Yeah so after the photo, I scooped the peas to the side and puddled him some Ketchup. Off to ponder how bad my Gravy is! 

awww don't fret. I'm sure your gravy is wonderful. That's a beautiful plate of comfort food right there.  I'll wait for the gravy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Went to the town's market to get a few things for dinner.

NdT7pqc.jpg

Golden hour on the rooftop terrace.

dswj4vi.jpg

20 euro vinho verde in paper cups (but I also had to drink Dom Perignon in plastic cups somewhere else). Portuguese eat coriander and Spanish prefer parsley. Their golden age of trading with distant countries explains this.

jJMUWvP.jpg

At the market earlier

elW8QNi.jpg

And the price

39N3Bxn.jpg

All most all barnacles are still attached to a chunk of rock, which I also paid for. And rock is heavier than the barnacles!

ETT0oER.jpg

At my lodging you are welcome to help yourself to a shot of nice port.

TTyhJpW.jpg

Maybe it's too early for me but rocks and barnacules? What creature of the sea are you eating?

Edited by demiglace
too early (log)

11 hours ago, Duvel said:

Hahaha, thanks! I will miss it as well ... and hope to post some entertaining meals as well from Europe 😉

LOL Yes, I'm told one occasionally encounters good food there. :P

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

44 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Don't sweat it, hon, there's no accounting for taste. A young lady of our acquaintance, invited to our place for homemade fish tacos, once declined the usual toppings in favor of dousing hers with ketchup.

We still tease her about it.

(Context, for those who don't know: Here in Atlantic Canada, many, MANY people grow up eating ketchup on fish that's battered and fried.)

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

@BonVivant  I didn't know barnacles were edible. Live and learn. 

I didn't know that either, and I'm still puzzled as to how you do it. More information, please?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I love percebes - it's a bit of a pain to deal with (like peel'n'eat shrimp) but totally worth it in my opinion.

Oh that's what the sign says. I couldn't make it out. I now know how to say porch in Portuguese though so that's um something. Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I love percebes - it's a bit of a pain to deal with (like peel'n'eat shrimp) but totally worth it in my opinion.

I really enjoyed this article on the Barnacle Queens of the Spanish Seaside . Gives perspective.  https://roadsandkingdoms.com/2016/barnacle-queens-of-the-seaside/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sunday I made crispy fried chicken.  Served with sliced tomatoes and sweet corn

504925186_crispyfriedchicken.thumb.jpg.7e21ab3151b7afc5376c516365ce16ce.jpg

Tuesday I chopped up some of the leftover chicken and put it in a big salad

1575219582_chickenranchsalad.thumb.jpg.8b1c846758082f0645ff6eb87854329c.jpg

Last night we had....a big salad with chicken.  This time chicken coated in panko and everything bagel seasoning and served over greens with a honey vinaigrette.  I saw the recipe in Eating Well magazine and it looked easy and tasty.  Both were true

2080392674_everythingbagelchicken.thumb.jpg.fdba080e80db3ceb998a562c7b8977c3.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 5

All I wanted was some Humos for my dinner and I got asked in return which one I wanted #&(%(*(???&@%

Just want some plain old fashioned Humos for crying out LOUD!!!!!

yDjc92Y.jpg

ofu7g1T.jpg

BaQqlZD.jpg

ABldgS0.jpg

P3FhMWz.jpg

XyxzUuz.jpg

yYTkUAH.jpg

JB1UtR4.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 12

27 minutes ago, Dante said:

Tonight's dinner: pork and chive dumplings, and Chinese cabbage and leek, dumplings from Dumps-A-GoGo accompanied by greens and fennel sauteed with chinkiang vinegar, roasted sesame seed paste, and butter.

71135708_2439815986101162_199382848715620352_n (1).jpg

Those dumplings look good - too bad the company has such an unfortunate name!

• Haha 2

Dinner09272019.png

Chicken cacciatore.  Forgive me for the parsley.  Excellent.  Bread and Boursin not shown.

I may clean the kitchen floor tomorrow.  Or I may not.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou