• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

That pie looks magnificent. Gravy appears perfect. Now I want one. 

It's my eldest child's birthday. She has requested Italian roast chicken, "but not tonight, please. I can't eat Italian roast chicken when it's 98 degrees outside." Can't say that I blame her. I want a pot roast badly, but it's just...too...danged...hot......

Come on, fall. No indication of heat breaking in the immediate future. Even a sun-worshiper like me can't deal with it in mid-September.

So we went out for a birthday lunch and had steak. Dinner will be snacky something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I hesitate to post this because I expect a lot of blowback but the last time I got some ribeye cap steaks I cut them (3) in half and retied them because one each was more than either of us wanted but half of one was not enough and I regretted cutting up the other two but I had done it and they were in the freezer waiting for me to decide what to do with them.  I decided to grind them up and make hamburger with them and sous vide any I may get in the future.  Charlie had two well done and said they were really good. I had one medium and it was good too.  I figure they cost around $5.00 each.  Four more went back in the freezer. 

20190917_171005.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Dante – what am I looking at?  I think I see biscuits underneath…???  Is that beans?  Or maybe chickpeas? 

oops! Sorry! Forgot to paste in the caption!

Chickpeas ala King over biscuits

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Threw supermarket roast chicken carcass in 275 degree oven with half an onion and garlic clove, covered with water and covered with glass lid.    Took a 2 hour nap.    Awoke to scent of rich broth.   Added egg noodles and chicken meat.

Totally effortless meal.    Plus leftovers.

1183668824_photo2.thumb.JPG.7cdbac33d0c604cf4bfd1132cd17993a.JPG

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 13

eGullet member #80.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:59 AM, Paul Bacino said:

Buffalo wing Ramen  :)

Buffalo wing Ramen ( w/o Sun Noodles ) _ shisito/scallion/s/seasoned egg/ buffalo wings ( hamstrings )/ double chxn stock/ gochujang

1177551516_ChickenRamen.thumb.jpg.d1ffaec548e0219dd70852c7e3de605f.jpg

Thank you for sharing. The texture of the yolk looks amazing and you set the outside egg white protein without overcooking the yolk. Great technique. 

The Chinese horse-ear diagonal cut of the scallion looks good also. 

Could I ask how you cooked the eggs? Was it sous vide or boiled in water? I'm guessing it's not SV since the temp to set the egg white is different from the temp required to set the yolk? 

Also, the color of the egg looks super interesting. I've seen Chinese tea eggs and salted duck and century year old duck egg. 

But for your egg..was it brined or marinated in a flavored solution? Could you describe the technique and how was the taste and texture of the egg? 

thank you 

• Like 2

We had guests for dinner. 

Spanish charcuterie, Sullivan street bakery focaccia, ovolini, olives as appetizer.

Grilled Belgian endives and radicchio, shiitake mushrooms and watercress , zucchini and green beans with ribeyes. Chiacchiere for dessert 

B6BABF91-28DD-4030-AA55-1808C07ECFE8.jpeg

E536F35C-74EB-45AF-9BB8-520F3AFD597F.jpeg

ED75F833-F052-400D-B7AF-A83CA63E426B.jpeg

B99AAE4E-4DB4-45FA-BF38-AF4363CACF86.jpeg

E8383954-4791-438B-A6C4-3119A8102B60.jpeg

9E796C8E-C81D-4773-8772-5C921B640176.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 4

21 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Peas, and Lima beans for that matter. Contaminants that need to be suppressed

I can deal with peas and Lima beans, but give me cranberry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I hesitate to post this because I expect a lot of blowback but the last time I got some ribeye cap steaks I cut them (3) in half and retied them because one each was more than either of us wanted but half of one was not enough and I regretted cutting up the other two but I had done it and they were in the freezer waiting for me to decide what to do with them.  I decided to grind them up and make hamburger with them and sous vide any I may get in the future.  Charlie had two well done and said they were really good. I had one medium and it was good too.  I figure they cost around $5.00 each.  Four more went back in the freezer.

(shrug) Nothing wrong with the occasional super-premium burger. :)

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

9 hours ago, eugenep said:

Thank you for sharing. The texture of the yolk looks amazing and you set the outside egg white protein without overcooking the yolk. Great technique. 

The Chinese horse-ear diagonal cut of the scallion looks good also. 

Could I ask how you cooked the eggs? Was it sous vide or boiled in water? I'm guessing it's not SV since the temp to set the egg white is different from the temp required to set the yolk? 

Also, the color of the egg looks super interesting. I've seen Chinese tea eggs and salted duck and century year old duck egg. 

But for your egg..was it brined or marinated in a flavored solution? Could you describe the technique and how was the taste and texture of the egg? 

thank you 

The egg was soft boiled ( simmered ),  I believe here.  about 6 mins.  Immediately in and ice bath, cooled  and shelled.     I have been steaming eggs lately as they release from the shell better to me.  But I believe this was boiled.

Simple on the flavoring,  I used a Mr Yoshida's Marinade and cooking sauce.   Put in a plastic container, so about half way up egg,  I turn it every few days and let it cure for about 7-10 dqys.  This was about 10 if I remember.

Great flavor for me,  the yolk had an incredible texture, very creamy.  Let me know if u need anything else

Doc B

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

52 minutes ago, TicTac said:

@Franci - Do mine eyes deceive me or is that a mirror as your stove backsplash!?!

Yes! I deeply hate it! I call this a “kitchen for those how don’t cook” 🤬 I was actually going to ask help for keeping it clean. I use detergent soap first and then  windex but It’s impossible to keep it clean. I also cracked it!!! I was just warming up my cast iron grill. I thought the mirror would be heat resistant. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

6 minutes ago, Franci said:

Yes! I deeply hate it! I call this a “kitchen for those how don’t cook” 🤬 I was actually going to ask help for keeping it clean. I use detergent soap first and then  windex but It’s impossible to keep it clean. I also cracked it!!! I was just warming up my cast iron grill. I thought the mirror would be heat resistant. 

I hear you. My GF and I watch a lot of reno shows and sometimes what an enthusiastic realtor or designer describes as a "chef's kitchen" makes me cringe.*

Glass behind the stove seems like a really bad idea even by that standard, though.

*(ETA: Seriously, people, how the hell are you supposed to clean a backsplash made of reclaimed barn wood? How?)

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

42 minutes ago, Franci said:

I thought it was!

I can imagine your pain in having to try to keep it clean.  People always say how you see dirt on white surfaces or black very easily, but I can only imagine what happens when its reflected back at you!!!

😲

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Are you renting?   If not it wouldn’t cost to much to rip it off the wall and add tile

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Are you renting?   If not it wouldn’t cost to much to rip it off the wall and add tile

Yes, I am renting! As you can see I didn’t spend my morning cleaning my backsplash mirror. The only advantage I can see it’s that I have an ocean view as I cook 🤣🤣🤣 obviously when it’s not covered in grease that I cannot see anything 😁😒

C6D10A9F-ABAE-4289-8AAA-B34E73254A13.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Yes, I am renting! As you can see I didn’t spend my morning cleaning my backsplash mirror. The only advantage I can see it’s that I have an ocean view as I cook 🤣🤣🤣 obviously when it’s not covered in grease that I cannot see anything 😁😒

Consider this:

You can get mirror finished stainless steel sheets of the same size to put in front of the glass mirror. They are thin and will not take up room.

After they collected enough grease, just put the sheets in the dishwasher.

dcarch

• Like 3

Last weekend I was off to a wine tasting and brought filo dough pastry triangles here (no photo).  Leftovers below used up remaining filo dough Monday night. Both pies filled with sweet potato purée mixed with a little Maggi, caramelized onion, shredded gouda, and fresh pecans. One pie filled with leftover roasted cauliflower, the other with slices of lowfat chicken "andouille" sausage. 

20190916_184330_cropped.thumb.jpg.a93f57213d310015b91222f01a96fbaf.jpg

Leftovers are now all used up!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Franci said:

Ok, I can understand the mirror now.  Ocean view to be appreciated and marketed