• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

1 hour ago, demiglace said:

yes please and could you cook it?

I recall buying live crayfish at the Marin Farmer's Market.    I was driving a friend who was very creeped out by crawly things.     I became aware that the bag sitting between us in the car was vibrating, kind of moving on its own.     Fortunately, she didn't notice.

• Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

I have tried crawfish a few times (lucky for us we can get them live here - thanks to fantastic Chinese supermarkets) and find them very muddy tasting.

Nnagged a live lobster still in the box from NS the other day and had it (from the same store) and it was excellent. 

I would say crawfish are closer to shrimp with more of a muddy undertone (unless it was just my unfortunate luck over multiple batches).

• Like 2

Gosh, I don't find them that way at all.  I think they are very sweet and fresh tasting.  You might want to purge your crawdads for a while in the sink in water with a bit of salt.  Or if you have a big batch, in a tub outside minus the salt for a couple days.

• Like 3

I've always bought pre-purged crawfish from the Louisiana Crawfish Company...  all they ever needed was a rinse to refresh them after their long journey.  Like Shelby, I always thought they had a sweet and fresh taste as well...  and while I love the tails, my favorite part is sucking the heads - especially after they've been soaking in a good boil for a while.  The head fat is ridiculously sweet!

• Like 3

A few years ago we were on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain and stopped at a shack run by a Viet family. They served up very good banh mi and crawfish in a giant vat sold by the pound, which were basically just dumped on the table to suck and pull apart. They were not at all muddy, but quite spicy and also extremely salty; it was hard to taste the meat, to tell the truth, so I don't know how representative they were. I have more patience with small crustacea than either my husband or my daughter, both of whom gave up on them before I did. There are photos of me as a kid doing a perfect dissection of a lobster on a wooden table, looking like nothing else in the world existed. Needless to say I was usually the last one to finish my meal growing up.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

@liamsaunt, even your fall-back fare looks like fine restaurant work! You didn't mention the bread, but it's fine-looking stuff too. More information about that, please? (Please don't tell me you just whipped up the bread when you got home. ;) )

Ah, no.  My bread baking skills are amateur at best.  Those are ciabatta rolls from a local baking outfit, Iggy's Breads of the World.  They sell at local Whole Foods and farmer's markets.  They also make a delicious cracked black pepper brioche burger bun that I use for salmon burgers in the winter.  I always have some of their francese bread somewhere in the house too.  

Dinner tonight was a recipe for coconut crusted cauliflower tacos with mango-cabbage slaw.  Do you know what is tasty?  Tacos with something other than cauliflower in them.  I like cauliflower a lot but using cauliflower in all dishes as a substitute for everything "bad" is getting old, at least for me....

852551331_cauliflowertacos2.thumb.jpg.aa1483bd30b5a3ad60077a112ef5629b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I like cauliflower a lot but using cauliflower in all dishes as a substitute for everything "bad" is getting old, at least for me....

I think you've hit on a truism.     Why not celebrate a product, veg, etc rather than try to create a faux-silk purse.   

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

14 hours ago, Shelby said:

Venison taco salads again along with a Hatch (not really truly Hatch because my brother-in-law grew it here and I'm super jealous because peppers just do not grow like that for us) chile .

IMG_6765.jpg.724c4d114ff631b63a54faf59a36fae7.jpg

Fried crawfish tails, shrimp, mac and cheese and fried okra oh and squash

IMG_6767.JPG.006d024d39cbd94127e7b4cb9781d199.JPG

IMG_6768.JPG.6b15c239e1bf53c88acf3b520acc9952.JPG

The only dish I prepare with crayfish is Chicken Marengo.  And it's been a while.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Dinner tonight was a recipe for coconut crusted cauliflower tacos with mango-cabbage slaw.  Do you know what is tasty?  Tacos with something other than cauliflower in them.  I like cauliflower a lot but using cauliflower in all dishes as a substitute for everything "bad" is getting old, at least for me....

@liamsaunt, I so agree with you.   I love cauliflower, but I want it as a vegetable. Not as rice, or potatoes or heaven forbid a pizza crust. 

12 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

They also make a delicious cracked black pepper brioche burger bun

Oh WOW.  I'm a big black pepper fan.  Have carried a pepper grinder in my purse for over 20 years.   I also grind pepper over my pizza crust when stretching.   

Next time I bake burger buns, I'm adding lots of black pepper.     

1647545436_HalibutwithTomatoOliveSalsaSeptember10th20191.thumb.jpg.948573e71ec67213a637f7155779f476.jpg

Last night's dinner was fresh halibut, pan seared and then finished in a hot oven. 

1184160076_HalibutwithTomatoOliveSalsaSeptember10th2019.thumb.jpg.e5989c1a996f6ef0e40841a1ab65b369.jpg

Served with a fresh salsa, made from tomatoes (from our garden) Kalamata olives, basil, garlic, lemon zest, squeeze of lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Dinner with an old friend visiting from Shanghai. We went to a Xinjiang Muslim Restaurant.

She chose. Captions are their translation.

1618756982_20190911_1939291.thumb.jpg.50b42171a4b2247202ec5117d797c0e4.jpg

Xinjiang Mutton Kebabs

We'd eaten some before I remembered to take pictures

1803643114_20190911_1946301.thumb.jpg.eb19be67ea1b4a6f03890fa39b38cb90.jpg

Xinjiang Grape Fish

I didn't enjoy this at all. Far too sweet.

1137156150_20190911_1947401.thumb.jpg.feafd4fcd764429074d45429720c0761.jpg

Pancake Rolled Mutton Grains

2033825446_20190911_1948301.thumb.jpg.b0478a6e2a0e8c6fd033ed4d281e0f3d.jpg

Copper Pot Cauliflower

Rice and Beer not shown.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

51 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Pancake Rolled Mutton Grains

Intriguing. I’m guessing that it is ground lamb and vegetables in there.  But I’ve been wrong once or twice before.😂

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Intriguing. I’m guessing that it is ground lamb and vegetables in there.  But I’ve been wrong once or twice before.😂

Yes, you are right. Two separate cuts of lamb or, more likely, mutton: one lean, the other fatty to the point of being nearly all fat - tail meat. And mixed veg to be wrapped in pancakes supplied. They were rather good!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker,  great looking pizza.  Did you roast the tomatoes first or just add them fresh?

Thanks, I just add the tomatoes fresh.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 9/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, Katie Meadow said:

A few years ago we were on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain and stopped at a shack run by a Viet family. They served up very good banh mi and crawfish in a giant vat sold by the pound, which were basically just dumped on the table to suck and pull apart. They were not at all muddy, but quite spicy and also extremely salty; it was hard to taste the meat, to tell the truth, so I don't know how representative they were. I have more patience with small crustacea than either my husband or my daughter, both of whom gave up on them before I did. There are photos of me as a kid doing a perfect dissection of a lobster on a wooden table, looking like nothing else in the world existed. Needless to say I was usually the last one to finish my meal growing up.

You're now offically my hero.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1