• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

@HungryChris -- I notice when you serve corn on the cob, it's always swathed in a tea towel. Is that to both keep it warm and take up moisture remaining on the ears so butter will adhere better?

Never thought of doing it that way. I generally just put it in a baking dish and slather butter on top, then make sure my ear is one of the last out of the dish, so I can roll it around in the accumulated melted butter.

• Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

@HungryChris -- I notice when you serve corn on the cob, it's always swathed in a tea towel. Is that to both keep it warm and take up moisture remaining on the ears so butter will adhere better?

Never thought of doing it that way. I generally just put it in a baking dish and slather butter on top, then make sure my ear is one of the last out of the dish, so I can roll it around in the accumulated melted butter.

@kayb, It is a thing my grandmother always did. Even as a young kid, I used to marvel at how well it kept in the heat. I just never gave any other serving option much thought.

HC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Farmer's market tomato with fresh mozzarella and basil

949477555_ScreenShot2019-09-09at6_12_59PM.thumb.png.64e1639bfd1281b4120eb55e5e53e39b.png

Cornish pastie.    "Broken" and beef gravy poured into/over.

379780674_photo3.thumb.JPG.4de4134b29950393003f736bc3c934e1.JPG

Husband didn't add green onion

1432020169_photo2.thumb.JPG.8241dae18c9c328b2e2e837b2a2afc3d.JPG

And if that's not enough "pie" for one meal, backyard plums

photo-1.thumb.JPG.78a5fdc84d72ba8bd7358a4ed278389b.JPG

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

eGullet member #80.

We had large Gulf shrimps on the grill, also some NY strip steak for the kids. My daughter wanted nectarine in the salad and my son baked beets. I love the Chile crunch condiment I am able to buy in Wholefoods and that went on top of my shrimps. Another nice discovery is that my local supermarket carries Sullivan Street bakery Ciabatta and that was grilled and rubbed with garlic. 

87D7DCE3-DA55-4526-ADB0-F2006ACE6292.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

18 hours ago, HungryChris said:

@kayb, It is a thing my grandmother always did. Even as a young kid, I used to marvel at how well it kept in the heat. I just never gave any other serving option much thought.

HC

I serve my corn that way too, and for the same reason as you (mom and grandma did it that  way).  It really does seem to keep it hot.

43 minutes ago, Duvel said:

On a toast ?!

I think that is a  potholder 🙂

Got home later than planned so my original dinner plans went out the window.  Sandwiches to the rescue.  Leftover ribeye from Saturday, parmesan cheese, truffle butter and greens for husband

steaksandwich.thumb.jpg.4bc5cc63365e7ca1c9b38d49d8897708.jpg

Homemade turkey sausage (from the freezer), egg, tomatoes and greens for me.  Half of each sandwich is wrapped in the fridge for a lunch later.

eggsandwich.thumb.jpg.70e54f2051e4f41b6f46e2e270cf6dad.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

@liamsaunt, even your fall-back fare looks like fine restaurant work! You didn't mention the bread, but it's fine-looking stuff too. More information about that, please? (Please don't tell me you just whipped up the bread when you got home. ;) )

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@liamsaunt, even your fall-back fare looks like fine restaurant work! You didn't mention the bread, but it's fine-looking stuff too. More information about that, please? (Please don't tell me you just whipped up the bread when you got home. ;) )

Totally agree with Smithy! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Probably.  😉  Welcome back!

I just meant that beets are not on many kids' lists of edible food.

😁 I have strange kids then. My son has a passion for good quality anchovies and my daughter loves bitter vegetables  and liver 😂

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Franci said:

😁 I have strange kids then. My son has a passion for good quality anchovies and my daughter loves bitter vegetables  and liver 😂

Nah, you have cool kids!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Venison taco salads again along with a Hatch (not really truly Hatch because my brother-in-law grew it here and I'm super jealous because peppers just do not grow like that for us) chile .

IMG_6765.jpg.724c4d114ff631b63a54faf59a36fae7.jpg

Fried crawfish tails, shrimp, mac and cheese and fried okra oh and squash

IMG_6767.JPG.006d024d39cbd94127e7b4cb9781d199.JPG

IMG_6768.JPG.6b15c239e1bf53c88acf3b520acc9952.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Venison taco salads again along with a Hatch (not really truly Hatch because my brother-in-law grew it here and I'm super jealous because peppers just do not grow like that for us) chile .

IMG_6765.jpg.724c4d114ff631b63a54faf59a36fae7.jpg

Fried crawfish tails, shrimp, mac and cheese and fried okra oh and squash

IMG_6767.JPG.006d024d39cbd94127e7b4cb9781d199.JPG

IMG_6768.JPG.6b15c239e1bf53c88acf3b520acc9952.JPG

I have to try crawfish someday.

1 hour ago, Franci said:

my son is strange in the same way

he ate all kinds of "weird" stuff as a young teen

• Like 3