• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, HungryChris said:

For the life of me, I cannot understand why green tomatoes are not available year round. Years ago, when I worked in a restaurant, all I had to do was ask my produce distributer for them and he was happy to comply, as if getting rid of them was a problem. I have written many emails to local supermarkets, stating that there would be a market, should any of them choose to carry them. I get the same lame, kind of rolled eye response from them all. I honestly think they are missing out. I doubt that I am the only one who would enjoy FGT year round, if I was able to. I also love green tomato pickles, but have a hard time getting enough to make very many.

HC

I could not help but note amazon sells unripe green tomatoes from Whole Foods.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I could not help but note amazon sells unripe green tomatoes from Whole Foods.

I have read that some Whole Foods will make green tomatoes available on request. Unfortunately, the nearest WF is quite a few miles from me, which makes delivery not available. As I have said before, I believe the commodity is there, but is currently being wasted, because it is not yet recognized for the opportunity that it represents, but will ultimately find its way into the marketplace where it belongs.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

Last of summer

WngiCYR.jpg

Megrim sole

nNlXcQC.jpg

Crispy fried. Vietnamese-style fish sauce.

XnEpb46.jpg

On 9/5/2019 at 7:17 AM, Kim Shook said:

seared scallops

Thank you, KS. Takes some time to clean them but they taste much better than frozen chemical-laced kind..

bVgwpUs.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

For John, roasted shrimp with thyme and garlic served with a tomato salad and some bread.

I had a piece of meatloaf with Bisto onion gravy, mashed potatoes and peas.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hi @rotuts, thank you for the welcome back! 

@BonVivantyour sole! Envy on the freshness of your ingredients! My husband would have adored the scallops so much. 

Kids and husband had some tagliatelle with ragù and fried cod. I had a salad of arugula and spinach, grilled Asian eggplants and tuna in kimchi sauce. 

E4712CE8-52A4-44C6-B53E-103A6A36DE69.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Whole Foods is Amazon.

We know this.

Perhaps I should have said "amazon sells green tomatoes by way of Whole Foods."  Since I can't get to a Whole Foods store I order from amazon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last night...

Dinner09072019.png

Sous vide fried chicken, no batter.  Credit goes to the Paragon holding four quarts of oil at constant temperature.  Potatoes and gravy were done on the Paragon as well.*  (Peas steamed seven minutes in the CSO.)

Night before...

Dinner09062019.png

Prime tenderloin with Kenji duck fat roast potatoes.  Everything slightly overdone to my taste.  Particularly the poor zucchini.

*including little pot of milk for the mashed potatoes.  Thank you, Sitram, for your induction capability.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

This was my niece's birthday weekend, so she was allowed to choose all of the dinners.  Yesterday she asked for steak, mac and cheese, summer squash, and eggplant. I found some prime dry aged ribeyes and porterhouses at Wegman's.   I also made a cauliflower gratin as my sister and I don't like mac and cheese and we both choose not to eat red meat.  No photos as my parents were dining with us and they hate when I take food photos.

Today my niece asked for homemade takeout style "Chinese" food.  I made vegetable egg rolls and crab (less) rangoons (I've mentioned on here before that my nephew has an anaphylactic allergy to crustaceans, and so she won't eat crustaceans either out of solidarity, even when he is away at college),  plus sticky wings and vegetable lo mein.

wings

1089462975_chickenwings.thumb.jpg.d62f8402abe5b4c02ea0785fbee46f58.jpg

Lo mein (served in Deruta style bowl haha)

1446023741_lomein.thumb.jpg.f8ddd5b8075c62038a0c568c72638354.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

This afternoon my stomach felt so upset that for dinner I only wanted congee, very plain, half water, half chicken stock, some chicken in it and coriander. I didn’t feel like trying to take an appetizing picture of it. It’s a difficult task😁

5F933B84-D28A-4DD4-91F3-1608CD69AE4D.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Same old, same old but favorite butter lettuce salad.

2035906138_photo1-1.thumb.JPG.ad71fbc73dcbe2941c395499072d7ca0.JPG

Followed by bitterly disappointing hens of the woods pasta.   This is one of my favorite plates, but not so husband's.   So I looked up and followed a recipe rather than my heart.    Blech.     Usual suspects of onion and garlic, but then fresh tomato, Sherry, cream.    So overwhelming.   

1817264070_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.6911ac61a427ce7116a4ca496448f978.JPG

There remains another clump of these fabulous shrooms.    Maybe a h-o-t-w omelet.   For me.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Sad 2

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Same old, same old but favorite butter lettuce salad.

2035906138_photo1-1.thumb.JPG.ad71fbc73dcbe2941c395499072d7ca0.JPG

Followed by bitterly disappointing hens of the woods pasta.   This is one of my favorite plates, but not so husband's.   So I looked up and followed a recipe rather than my heart.    Blech.     Usual suspects of onion and garlic, but then fresh tomato, Sherry, cream.    So overwhelming.   

1817264070_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.6911ac61a427ce7116a4ca496448f978.JPG

There remains another clump of these fabulous shrooms.    Maybe a h-o-t-w omelet.   For me.

Sorry to hear it was so disappointing for you. Do you mean it overwhelmed the flavor of the hen-of-the-woods mushrooms? (I've never had them.) The basic sauce sounds delicious.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Sorry to hear it was so disappointing for you. Do you mean it overwhelmed the flavor of the hen-of-the-woods mushrooms? (I've never had them.) The basic sauce sounds delicious.

As "pasta". I've had worse.    As a conveyor for these delicate mushrooms, it was a travesty.     They have a very gentle flavor and should not be over seasoned.    It was my fault for trying to make something they aren't...and I succeeded!    But not in their favor.

• Sad 2

eGullet member #80.

I think I managed a pasta transgression tonight, but I don't think it was as disappointing as @Margaret Pilgrim describes above.

I've been merrily making sauces and salsas to take advantage of the farmers' markets around here. Today, my efforts included a puttanesca sauce, as described here. When the afternoon grew late and dinnertime approached I dithered between a platter of nachos (a known quantity, using our homemade salsa) and a bowl of pasta puttanesca with the current recipe. Curiosity won. Besides, I had this great-looking pasta I'd picked up at Trader Joe's:

20190908_202246.jpg

I boiled a handful or so of the pasta, then pitched it in with some of the puttanesca sauce to finish cooking and let them make friends with each other. 

20190908_203705.jpg

I was surprised that my darling did not (a) object to the lack of meat or (b) think it all too tart. He thought it all wonderful, and I did not tell him that the sauce contained anchovies and olives. I thought the pasta wasn't the right shape, or I hadn't cooked it properly, or something...the consistency wasn't right. This particular pasta shape probably is designed for a more viscous, probably creamy, sauce.

20190908_204803.jpg

Those cavils aside, there were no leftovers from tonight's meal but there are a couple more servings of the puttanesca sauce. We're both happy with the results.

• Like 9

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

43 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I had this great-looking pasta

I remember many years ago in Italy on holiday, my then just pre-teenage daughter being delighted to find what she termed giggly pasta. To her great disappointment we couldn't find it back in London, until one day I discovered that gigli is another name for campanelle, which I could find. The delight on her face that evening's dinnertime is lodged in my memory.

When I was staying with her this summer on my much delayed trip to England, she served it to me! With a wistful smile on her lips.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Franci

the standards of Dinner , Lunch , and Breakfast are very high here on eG.

very high indeed.

your ' plain ' congee ,   picture and ' plate '  looks very appetizing

as a friend once said to me   "  Always Room at the Top  ' 

that looks like it belongs there , as simple as it seems

• Like 3