• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

A couple of recent dinners.  Salmon, cooked SV then seared and glazed in a maple-bourbon sauce, served with green beans in butter.

salmon-gb3.jpg.196473858d8fc666961be124f3c8b4b4.jpg

Two small prime tri-tip steaks, cooked SV then seared, served with cauliflower in butter.

tt-caul-3.jpg.53dd4784716b67194edf760bff33115c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Made corn chowder the other day.   A blend of whole and puréed corn with chicken and corn stock as well as a bit of cream.   Added some thin sliced lemongrass  along with onion and garlic which really boosts the flavor and perfumes the dish a bit and really taste great 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

With temperatures in the high sixties and with my need for easy-to-prepare dishes I put some bone-in country ribs in the crockpot along with a sliced apple, a small onion, a couple tablespoons of brown sugar, caraway seeds, white wine and rinsed and drained sauerkraut.  I've never made this recipe before but it reminded me of one my Mom used to make.

Will see how it tastes but it smells delicious.

• Like 4

Just now, lindag said:

With temperatures in the high sixties and with my need for easy-to-prepare dishes I put some bone-in country ribs in the crockpot along with a sliced apple, a small onion, a couple tablespoons of brown sugar, caraway seeds, white wine and rinsed and drained sauerkraut.  I've never made this recipe before but it reminded me of one my Mom used to make.

Will see how it tastes but it smells delicious.

Do, please, report back. I've written elsewhere about our challenges with country-style ribs. My DH adored them when we first met (it was his recipe and technique) but over the years something has changed. Were still trying to get time and temperature right. I like the sound of your accompaniments.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

29 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Do, please, report back. I've written elsewhere about our challenges with country-style ribs. My DH adored them when we first met (it was his recipe and technique) but over the years something has changed. Were still trying to get time and temperature right. I like the sound of your accompaniments.

They do not have the collagen and fat like the '"standard" ones. I used to buy them for the boys as more meaty. The crockpot with the apples and kraut will probably yield a soft meat and a nice overall dish. I prefer them to mimic a toothsome "regular" (I know hated word) So I did them in the oven, basted with a flavorful sauce low & slow. Alternatively if you can get butcher to cross cut them with the saw into maybe 2 to 3" pieces - excellent in stews like chile verde and well any flavor forward stew :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Ann_T – your blueberry cobbler just looks incredibly good.  And is the recipe for the shrimp etouffee available somewhere?  I couldn’t find it on your site.  (side note:  Matt is your son?  And a vegetarian?  With the way you cook, he manages to stay true to his vegetarianism?  He is truly dedicated!  He must just fill up on your gorgeous bread!  LOL).

@HungryChris – I think crab is the perfect topping for fried green tomatoes!

@scubadoo97 – lamb shanks are probably my favorite meat and those look fantastic.

Last night was fixed up canned baked beans, “BBQ” chicken, the last of the NC tomatoes, and green beans:

DSCN0010.JPG.b54a751fe659e2600e4dd1467b0d5207.JPG

This chicken was “BBQ” in that the sauce was Bullseye BBQ sauce and honey.  When I was growing up BBQ chicken was just chicken pieces that my mom cooked in the oven and then sauced and broiled.  That was basically what I did, except I cooked mine in the CSO on bake/steam and then broiled it to finish.  Served with Hawaiian rolls and fruit:

DSCN0011.JPG.b689d582ad2047dd1d56e14d0eed355d.JPG

DSCN0009.JPG.206c8f659a82f37dc1c4fff04174f21c.JPG

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – your blueberry cobbler just looks incredibly good.  And is the recipe for the shrimp etouffee available somewhere?  I couldn’t find it on your site.  (side note:  Matt is your son?  And a vegetarian?  With the way you cook, he manages to stay true to his vegetarianism?  He is truly dedicated!  He must just fill up on your gorgeous bread!  LOL).

Thanks @Kim Shook,  The recipe is on the blog, you can find it here:

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2012/05/prawn-etouffee.html

Yes Matt is our son. Not sure how I ended up with a vegetarian.  Especially one that use to love his meat, especially rare beef.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AC0A0225-5118-444F-B91C-33221DAF3266.thumb.jpeg.75f7b79c7b772de27fe4a4c7f871795e.jpeg

Chicken Maryland (thigh and  drumstick) from a Costco rotisserie chicken, and a cob of corn with butter and salt. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

57 minutes ago, gfweb said:

SV duck with lingonberry sauce, potatoes

Be still my heart.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I prepared dinner for a group of friends the other night.   I've made and posted about all these dishes before but unfortunately managed to take only one photo from this meal.

Cocktail: Bound by Venus from Batch Cocktails by Maggie Hoffman.  As written, it's rosemary-infused gin, fino sherry and yellow Chartreuse.  I made both that original and a vodka version as I know there will be vodka-only drinkers in the group.  Some of the vodka drinkers allowed that the gin version was more flavorful - duh! 
Nibbles: Brined and Roasted Almonds and Frico from Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden.  I used more than half a pound of Red Cow Parmigiano Reggiano to make the Frico.  Not sure it was worth the investment but they were excellent salty snacks to go with the cocktails. 
Starter: Burrata Caprese with Peaches, Tomato & Basil from Dinner, Changing the Game by Melissa Clark.  Four kinds of heirloom tomatoes and peaches from the farmers market with a drizzle of basil/lemon/olive oil dressing.  So pretty.

1432753806_IMG_1557(1).thumb.jpg.2dc173a25594106e423baefaad01d03d.jpg
Main: Pork Shoulder in Red-Curry-Braised Watermelon from Deep Run Roots by Vivian Howard.  Pork choices at the farmers market were limited so I went with a nice pork butt roast and cut it up.  Cooking this ahead and reheating worked very well.
Rice - I made the version from Shaya's Red Beans & Rice but with Massa Organics brown rice because I know it reheats well and it has nice flavor
Side: Raw Corn with Walnuts, Mint & Chiles from Six Seasons was a good side that didn't need cooking

This photo is actually from a plate of leftovers but gives you the idea:

IMG_1281.thumb.jpg.17923da23c17c3b06b80f7cc51310109.jpg

Dessert: Peaches in Chilled Moscato from How to Eat a Peach by Diana Henry made a light, elegant ending

Winner winner ummm.....ummmm...yummy dinner.

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:47 PM, liuzhou said:

Vegetarian "mapo tofu" is a thing in China, but it has its own name. "Mala Tofu".

麻辣豆腐 (má là dòu fǔ)

I love, love Mapo Tofu (even though I see it spelled 100 different ways).   But I like it with ground meat (preferably pork).   Is this common in China?

52 minutes ago, Owtahear said:

I love, love Mapo Tofu (even though I see it spelled 100 different ways).   But I like it with ground meat (preferably pork).   Is this common in China?

Extremely common, especially in Sichuan where it originated. However, traditionally it is made with beef, not pork. Mapo Tofu is the spelling I see most often in English publications, but "tofu" comes from the Japanese pronunciation of tehword they borrowed from Chinese. In Mandarin Chinese, the overwhemingly dominant language,  it is "dòu fǔ".

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

18 hours ago, Smithy said:

Well. it was pretty good.  Not quite what I remembered when my Mother made it (bit then nothing is really how we remember it).  Not much to look at, that's for sure.  I do think the bone-in ribs added additional flavor to the dish.

I served it on mashed potatoes as that is how I had it before.  Not sure I will make it again; the leftovers tonight will answer that question.

Most of the pork I see around here is the non-injected type, which I prefer.

My usual use of country ribs is for cabbage soup or sometime I cover with bbq sauce, wrap in foil, and bake in a very low oven for a 2-½ hours or so.  Very tasty.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, long time! I hope everybody is well. I’ve not had time to go back and see what you have been eating these days, but I have no doubts many good meals to get inspiration from. 

It looks like after long time I feel like cooking again  

😁

Yesterday was a fish day. I decided to make an insalata di mare: octopus, squids, gulf pink shrimps and mussels. More sauté mussels for my husband joy. Some grilled bread and green salad. 

EAB671B3-CCFC-4D85-AB11-29CA680D8593.jpeg

E058F410-F707-49AF-9A89-51A52F9CE688.jpeg

D0B19781-C30F-467F-A106-33DD2067EB23.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

9DF9D694-6764-4D69-94DA-06003D1451F6.thumb.jpeg.1777bb0b646ed77dea3e8094bc5eb3d9.jpeg

Sometimes the only way to deal with temptation is to give in to it. All the photographs in recent weeks of hot sandwiches wore down my resistance. Hot chicken sandwich with meat from a Costco rotisserie chicken and what my family calls “chip truck gravy”. It is made from a mix also sold by Costco and I believe it is called Trio.  It’s been a long time since I’ve bought any. There was plenty in a mason jar In my cabinet.  I always add a little cream to it and if I’m lucky enough to have a bottle of brandy in the house, a splash or two of that. Probably not authentic diner food by then!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N - my sad face was at seeing that lovely sandwich and gravy covered up by those nasty peas.  And I am very hungry, too.  We are getting ready to pull the 3rd of Mr. Kim's 6 pork butts that he smoked today and it is 8pm.  I don't think I'm ever going to get dinner tonight. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Anna N - my sad face was at seeing that lovely sandwich and gravy covered up by those nasty peas.  And I am very hungry, too.  We are getting ready to pull the 3rd of Mr. Kim's 6 pork butts that he smoked today and it is 8pm.  I don't think I'm ever going to get dinner tonight. 😉

But, but, but you can’t have a hot sandwich without peas. I’m sorry you don’t like them and I’m sorry you’re hungry but I think the best part of it are the peas. Well those and the gravy. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog