• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

@HungryChris, I too love FGTs and they are not easily found at farmers' markets around here, even at the end of tomato season, when you would think they are more common. I especially like them if the batter is lighter, like a tempura sort of thing. They make for an addictive fried green tomato BLT.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, Katie Meadow said:

@HungryChris, I too love FGTs and they are not easily found at farmers' markets around here, even at the end of tomato season, when you would think they are more common. I especially like them if the batter is lighter, like a tempura sort of thing. They make for an addictive fried green tomato BLT.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why green tomatoes are not available year round. Years ago, when I worked in a restaurant, all I had to do was ask my produce distributer for them and he was happy to comply, as if getting rid of them was a problem. I have written many emails to local supermarkets, stating that there would be a market, should any of them choose to carry them. I get the same lame, kind of rolled eye response from them all. I honestly think they are missing out. I doubt that I am the only one who would enjoy FGT year round, if I was able to. I also love green tomato pickles, but have a hard time getting enough to make very many.

HC

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

For the life of me, I cannot understand why green tomatoes are not available year round. Years ago, when I worked in a restaurant, all I had to do was ask my produce distributer for them and he was happy to comply, as if getting rid of them was a problem. I have written many emails to local supermarkets, stating that there would be a market, should any of them choose to carry them. I get the same lame, kind of rolled eye response from them all. I honestly think they are missing out. I doubt that I am the only one who would enjoy FGT year round, if I was able to. I also love green tomato pickles, but have a hard time getting enough to make very many.

HC

Has anyone ever thought of making friends with a tomato vendor at a farmers market? My husband loved Fried Green Tomatoes and that is where I always got mine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Has anyone ever thought of making friends with a tomato vendor at a farmers market? My husband loved Fried Green Tomatoes and that is where I always got mine.

I do get some from a local farmer at the end of the season, but I would like to be able to get them throughout the year and I just think that is only a matter of having the right people recognize that there is a market for them and making it happen.

HC

26 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Katie, one of the veg venders at Laney Flea Market has them frequently at season end.   I've bought them twice this late summer.

eGullet member #80.

19 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I'm sorry, I forgot that up there you don't have year-round farmers markets.

Some of us do  (I am in Southern California). But supply and demand comes into play. A farmer will not risk true unripe greenies as a regular item. There is also confusion because of the "green color" tomatoes now common which are ripe. Average consumer  = confusion quite likely. 

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

A few farmers market vendors in my area bring in unripe green tomatoes and the local farmstand I frequent most often will pick them on request if you call a day ahead.  Not quite year-round, more like May - Dec.

That's why I say befriend your local vendor. If you are true to your word about picking them up,  they will usually bring you some the next week.  Or get their phone number, and ask them a couple days ahead of time. My local vendor is very accommodating about this,because I give him a couple English lessons each time I see him . 

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Dictation error (log)
  • Like 1

A973CD51-6B5E-4749-9EE3-678BB207A77C.thumb.jpeg.5ef7bde169026cdec50d42d7c8a48bac.jpeg

3B172933-52A7-4288-817B-03B3713C04B8.thumb.jpeg.43fc3c5a12d1821b5a7fc1f4b36a8c62.jpeg

Sous vide pork chop 60°C times 90 minutes – – perfect. Green beans sous vide 83°C times 60 minutes - - not so good. They were simply too squeaky green for my taste. Not quite sure why I persist in trying to sous vide vegetables because most of them don’t do well.

Lingonberry sauce on the side. 

Edited by Anna N
To change loganberry to lingenberry (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Had the day off and after cutting the grass and dealing with estate issues I ended up at BJ’s and picked up two big lamb shanks. 

Braised meats really push my buttons 

3 hrs in the oven while I  relaxed by the pool seemed like the ticket.   I had already cleaned the filter.....

No starch served although several would have been appropriate.   Side salad rounded out the meal

A 2016  Kosta Browne Russian River Valley Pinot was the perfect compliment 

B66806E5-4D18-454B-9CE6-E9618E08FBBE.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

37 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Had the day off and after cutting the grass and dealing with estate issues I ended up at BJ’s and picked up two big lamb shanks. 

Braised meats really push push my buttons 

3 hrs in the oven while I  relaxed by the pool seemed like the ticket.   I had already cleaned the filter.....

No starch served although several would have been appropriate.   Side salad rounded out the meal

A 2016  Kosta Browne Russian River Valley Pinot was the perfect compliment 

B66806E5-4D18-454B-9CE6-E9618E08FBBE.jpeg

I thought you retired @scubadoo97 

It wasn't supposed to come down this way.   We were going out for dinner tonight.   Then Husband realized that a valuable package had not been delivered yet.   So...back to the Mother Hubbard cupboard.

Defrosted moussaka, and plucked final leaves from several bunches of purslane.

photo-3.thumb.JPG.4a40c39504c65b14867eed509cc51bc3.JPG

Husband added substantial slice of apple croustade with whipped cream.    He'll not starve.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

5 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Pork Tenderloin Marsala ...Pork, even after a three hour marinade,  was bland but the sauce and veggies were good)

That's normal.    I finally just "marinate" in cornstarch moistened with soy, then go for a good sear for flavor.    And then, of course, lay on the Marsala, with a second splash just before the finish to "refresh".

• Thanks 2

eGullet member #80.

We had pizza tonight watching the US Open Women's semi final. Our girl (Bianca Andreescu) won. Moving on the final against Serena Williams.

1568709630_PepperoniDeluxeSeptember5th2019.thumb.jpg.bc93344808ffe47539497b1bf80ddcda.jpg

Made a Pepperoni Deluxe

711777319_PepperoniDeluxeSeptember5th20191.thumb.jpg.61e367d49aae47521bd75eef4b165921.jpg

for Moe and I to share.

993737556_ThreeCheesePizzaSeptember5th2019.thumb.jpg.e5aa599029b872a0014bb19b3eae117e.jpg

And Matt had a Three Cheese Pizza.

1231274836_ThreeCheesePizzaSeptember5th20191.thumb.jpg.0f8bfae4480484d367101026516d275b.jpg

Dough had been in the fridge since Tuesday.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

It was a bit cool so a comfort meal: mashed potatoes, wax beans and meatloaf.

Tuesday was supposed to be pasta with chicken piccata. OOPS, just as the chicken was finishing got a call from John.  Could I come pick him up in Hamburg?  He had just totaled his car.  

• Sad 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, suzilightning said:

It was a bit cool so a comfort meal: mashed potatoes, wax beans and meatloaf.

Tuesday was supposed to be pasta with chicken piccata. OOPS, just as the chicken was finishing got a call from John.  Could I come pick him up in Hamburg?  He had just totaled his car.  

Better the car should be totaled than John.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com