• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I'm looking forward to that meal.

I'll bring the corn salad, in hollowed out green bell peppers!

And don't forget the Hellmans, Miracle Whip and any other generic 'mayo's you can find!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

E2B4AFAF-6E7D-461F-94FE-FF6E131FCA07.thumb.jpeg.1b4612d1f74ca0921891a847ac1aae67.jpeg

Definitely looks a bit boring compared to what I’m seeing posted here. But it is what it is. Orzo with everything.  Afterwards I fancied toast and marmalade. This did not play well with the red wine I was drinking. Duh. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The other day I was interested in trying a version of kimche tartar sauce after I saw it in a menu posted by @HungryChris but when I proposed it to Charlie, he said he wished I'd make Korean food more often so today I did. I made spicy pork,  Kalbi and Korean bean sprouts.  The rest came ready-made from the Asian market.  The ribs were cooked outside and the pork cooked at the table.  The tartar sauce will wait for another day.

20190830_164448.jpg

20190830_164802.jpg

20190830_165422.jpg

20190830_165907.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, ninagluck said:

May I come back after a very long absence?

By all means, you've been missed.

When someone goes "radio silent" for a while, I always worry that some mischance has befallen them.

• Like 9

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 minutes ago, chromedome said:

By all means, you've been missed.

When someone goes "radio silent" for a while, I always worry that some mischance has befallen them.

Indeed. One worries. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ninagluck said:

May I come back after a very long absence?

But of course. You have been missed.

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Salisbury.thumb.jpg.11b807232da36b0feb394b86175b6885.jpg

Haven't been cooking in a while... This is Salisbury I made last night.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

5 hours ago, HungryChris said:

PEI farm raised mussels in garlic, wine and herbs with a hot baguette for dipping. A very inexpensive meal that we both enjoy greatly!

HC

IMG_0864.thumb.JPG.3c878a67af9d658475002eb9cb8d9fd1.JPGIMG_0859.thumb.JPG.6585b3fed0504151abf6c4a87813edda.JPGIMG_0860.thumb.JPG.3a1130490c2df1ecc05b3b66573222d9.JPG

I think I can smell the garlic.  They look delicious and served with the perfect accompaniment...bread.  My DH is very allergic to muscles...the allergy he developed in his 50's......had some muscles, felt sick; next time was sick...put it down to a bad batch; next time oh my god...shaky, sweaty, sick and in bed for the rest of the night.  No more muscles for him.  I usually order them when we go out. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I think I can smell the garlic.  They look delicious and served with the perfect accompaniment...bread.  My DH is very allergic to muscles...the allergy he developed in his 50's......had some muscles, felt sick; next time was sick...put it down to a bad batch; next time oh my god...shaky, sweaty, sick and in bed for the rest of the night.  No more muscles for him.  I usually order them when we go out. 

If he wants his muscles back, he just has to get back into the gym routine! ;)

Jokes aside, my folks are headed on a road trip to PEI next week.  They are returning to one of their favourite golf courses where at the end, you can head to the club house, for cocktails and unlimited buckets of free PEI mussels (aka muscles 😛 )!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Well, if he can't eat them, he can't eat them, but it must indeed be tough to develop an allergy to something you have developed a fondness for. Your husband has my sympathy!

HC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enfrijoladas. Tortillas dipped in bean sauce with dried chilies, coriander seeds, cumin. Filled with egg, onion and cheeses. Baked to melt. Sour cream, chilies, pepitas.

Corn with chipotle mayo, lime zest, feta.

IMG_20190809_143718_1.jpg

IMG_20190809_144437.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.