• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'm curious about what else, if anything, was inside those crocodile spring rolls. Do you remember? 

Fortunately I detest Rum so I do remember! It was what I consider standard spring roll stuffing + couple lumps of meat. Cabbage, Carrot, Bean Sprouts - if there was anything else it didn't jump out. 

I'm going to add: My family are visiting - it's not just the usual 2.5 of us 😂

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pasta al forno. Pasta, raw tomatoes, motz, cream, basil, plenty of garlic.

IMG_20190727_154743_1.thumb.jpg.19555326a36489e528610bef4fce20ce.jpg

I have another casserole in the fridge, ready to be baked some weeknight.

Two casseroles:

500 g fusilli, cooked al dante

250 g mozzarella cheese

4-5 large tomatoes, cut into stripes

6-8 garlic cloves, finely diced

35 g (1 cup) basil leaves, torn or roughly cut

1/4-1/3 cup cream

salt to taste

pepper

Mix cooked pasta and other ingredients.

Bake at 220 deg C (430 F) until the top is well browned and crisp, about 40 minutes.

Serve immediately, or reheat in the oven until re-crisped.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Fortunately I detest Rum so I do remember! It was what I consider standard spring roll stuffing + couple lumps of meat. Cabbage, Carrot, Bean Sprouts - if there was anything else it didn't jump out. 

I'm going to add: My family are visiting - it's not just the usual 2.5 of us 😂

I was wondering if you guys were really, really hungry or what. (Flesh seamstress ha) Meals looked great.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1AC4FA99-EB62-49CE-B1BF-E99231FE21A1.thumb.jpeg.074c0a207c48652ec6486657fc3125a3.jpeg

Fresh corn with miso butter.  Simple but good. I might do it again in a bit as I have another cob of corn. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had practically nothing to do with this dinner a couple of nights ago.  Another kit salad:

DSCN9979.JPG.621e02048594efffbd9290722e41e34f.JPG

Frozen chicken Kiev and boxed Parmesan noodles:

DSCN9980.JPG.ff0f7d719ae6e5b953ebcd5be395c854.JPG

What can I say?  Guilty pleasures all and I had dental work done that day and was still sore.

Tonight:

DSCN9981.JPG.f919a470b4b6a2748151ad3acd9c93c4.JPG

Benton bacon butty:

• Like 14

This appealing before-and-after picture shows the product we tried for dinner last night. My DH loves all things pork (well, maybe not offal) and he was jonesing for ribs yesterday while we are the the grocery store. The package in the top pic contained baby back ribs, already smoked, cooked, and slathered in BBQ sauce. Heat at 400F for 25 minutes, and serve. I had my doubts, given my skepticism about most barbecue sauces, and prefer doing my own rubs and long cooks. Nonetheless, this was convenience food on a busy day, and I was game to try it. The bottom pic shows the finished product. 

20190824_071539.jpg

It looked better on the plate!

20190824_071322.jpg

We both thought it slightly overdone, which could have been operator error rather than the producer's error; I may have given it a bit too much time. He loved it despite the borderline overdonness: it was tender, and he never met a BBQ sauce he didn't like. I thought the sauce was overwhelming, and not in a good way. It was way too sweet, tasted mostly of ketchup, and I really couldn't tell whether the meat was smoked. I'm not sure I could tell it was pork! So no, I wouldn't get that particular product again. If I could find it already smoked and cooked but without the sauce, I might. It was convenient, but so is a grilled cheese sandwich.

On another note: I'm getting tired of corn on the cob, simply buttered, his summer favorite vegetable. A generous sprinkling of tajin seasoning, a chili-and-lime condiment, brightened it up and changed the tune for me. 

20190824_071800.jpg

It probably wouldn't make a convert of liuzhou, but this little bottle that I picked up during last spring's travels has been a delightful discovery for me.

• Like 8

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It probably wouldn't make a convert of liuzhou, but this little bottle that I picked up during last spring's travels has been a delightful discovery for me. 

I'd happily take the tajin seasoning but use it with something edible instead! 🙂

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last night was baked spaghetti for DH and soup (not shown), 3 oz of air fried schnitzel and grilled zucchini for me...with Cowboy Candy.  We had a large salad for lunch so easy on the veggies for dinner.  The pork schnitzel was done in about 6 minutes with no fat splatter to clean up.  A tad over done.

DSC03229.thumb.jpg.eaa94b36aaa4be10b7db82b635cd3073.jpgDSC03228.thumb.jpg.1f0f6d9c01e33ced2b6fca5af5b0817e.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

This appealing before-and-after picture shows the product we tried for dinner last night. My DH loves all things pork (well, maybe not offal) and he was jonesing for ribs yesterday while we are the the grocery store. The package in the top pic contained baby back ribs, already smoked, cooked, and slathered in BBQ sauce. Heat at 400F for 25 minutes, and serve. I had my doubts, given my skepticism about most barbecue sauces, and prefer doing my own rubs and long cooks. Nonetheless, this was convenience food on a busy day, and I was game to try it. The bottom pic shows the finished product. 

20190824_071539.jpg

It looked better on the plate!

20190824_071322.jpg

We both thought it slightly overdone, which could have been operator error rather than the producer's error; I may have given it a bit too much time. He loved it despite the borderline overdonness: it was tender, and he never met a BBQ sauce he didn't like. I thought the sauce was overwhelming, and not in a good way. It was way too sweet, tasted mostly of ketchup, and I really couldn't tell whether the meat was smoked. I'm not sure I could tell it was pork! So no, I wouldn't get that particular product again. If I could find it already smoked and cooked but without the sauce, I might. It was convenient, but so is a grilled cheese sandwich.

On another note: I'm getting tired of corn on the cob, simply buttered, his summer favorite vegetable. A generous sprinkling of tajin seasoning, a chili-and-lime condiment, brightened it up and changed the tune for me. 

20190824_071800.jpg

I doubt very much it's operator error. You're a great cook. I've had those rib products and I think they are pretty much that texture when you take them out of the bag. Love the addition to the corn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Kim Shook, can't remember the last time I had Chicken Kiev.   Now that is all I can think about.  

57350624_GrilledBabyBackRibsAugust21st2019.thumb.jpg.de263edca77c64def0c8821310c69a19.jpg

Grilled baby back ribs with homemade fries and TBQ sauce. 

1857805573_MattsPizzaAugust23rd20193.thumb.jpg.a821a77b9c7f30b40f2e8554ebb8d1b2.jpg

Baked  on Wednesday and saved some of the dough for Matt who made himself a pizza.  

1225420368_MattsPizzaAugust23rd20192.thumb.jpg.6bd6a9e390a9725adabfe1f034a84050.jpg

Used tomatoes from the garden and made a fresh sauce and topped the pizza with more tomatoes and basil from the garden.

131630576_BloominOnionAugust23rd20191.thumb.jpg.2268caac44cc9cf48901ec28918e0954.jpg

Made a blooming onion last night.  Never made one before.  Used the same tempura batter I used recently on Zucchini with additional seasoning.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

13 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Vietnamese crepe...banh xeo

1871457601_photo1-2.thumb.JPG.f8140af9bfc3f8c3ba1bbbfcd164bc09.JPG

Fill bottom seared crepe with pork/shrimp filling

1237856698_photo4.thumb.JPG.6afbe18d6e4d18c838e18a8e8c316d1e.JPG

Break off portions, stuff in lettuce leaves with cilantro and mint.    Douse with nuoc cham.

1544225114_photo2.thumb.JPG.ccef61f75214af7dafe1502c3828f59d.JPG

This is one of my favorite things I’ve ever eaten!  Since I discovered it, don’t think I’ve ever ordered anything else if this was available! You did a beautiful job!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Panko breaded chicken, made in the BSOA on air-fryer mode.  Baked potato, also made in the BSOA, but I microwaved it first, sliced in half before putting it in with the chicken.  The skin and top were nice and crispy.  The chicken was boneless, skinless breast. Cooked together for 20 minutes at 400F.  Served with steamed spinach in butter.

snb-chick-sp3.jpg.135414eacae0cef0363f4b6a11ef0240.jpg

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Some of the last of our sweet corn with fries and hot wings

thumbnail_IMG_6691.jpg.8e0c5098fcba40f2e44bc4f0afb4c851.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6692.jpg.2a2a3a8fc45bde67f8fe1c305613cfb9.jpg

My mom came from Colorado to see us --and thankfully help me can--and she took a lot of garden goodies home with her :)  I didn't take many pictures while she was here.  Too busy talking.  But here are a few.

First night she was here we did homemade spaghetti sauce, venison meatballs, salad.  No pics of that, but I did take one of the wonderful Harbison cheese.

thumbnail_IMG_6694.jpg.171cb18053192c7cd388b35f457a8076.jpg

I made @kayb's lemon icebox pie.  Very good!  And I have one in the freezer for another time.

thumbnail_IMG_6702.jpg.c9b8494a2e6262b51cfbb6f31a827aea.jpg

Tuesday night was fried fish and mac and cheese--using truffle cheese and the melty cheese calculator.  Mom now has a container of sodium citrate and will be using the calculator too :)

Wednesday night was pizza night.

Thursday--and the last night :(  was Asian food.  

@Anna N's tomato salad

thumbnail_IMG_6703.jpg.d03b011b9b194618e07b0b899625c007.jpg

Pork belly

thumbnail_IMG_6704.jpg.0f1473ff737ac776a4bfa55611f5a423.jpg

Egg rolls, sweet and sour tofu, ramen noodles and bok choy to go with

thumbnail_IMG_6705.jpg.3d0a21e6787f7a486b393d6f70b409e1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Recently I saw a photo of Grilled Eggplant Involtini with Goat Cheese and Green Beans, recipe here which doesn't have a photo. I thought inspiration came from egullet on this thread, but I've gone back a few pages and can't find the photo in my mind. Does anyone have a recent memory of a photo for this dish?

B22C55B3-0532-400B-AC79-4F18AE1CBDEA.thumb.jpeg.9dc8e026af5a2cf8cca75fc41bea4c46.jpeg

Corn salad. I sautéed the corn to give it a bit of color, added some chopped onion, chopped tomato, cubes of cheddar cheese and slivers of a wood smoked salami that I had received as a gift.   With something like this salami it makes sense that meat be used a condiment!  Just a little is enough to season the whole dish and make everything nice and smoky. I still have not done a grocery shopping since I returned from Manitoulin!   So not bad all things considered.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner tonight, halibut with mashed potatoes and fried zucchini.

The Halibut was cooked Sous Vide at 113F with a little bit of Soy Sauce, Honey, one clove of Garlic, and 2 slices of Lemon.  Made for some very yummy halibut!

20190824_180659.thumb.jpg.1cf3df947f17e5427684c2e2e68ec7ee.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

10 hours ago, Shelby said:

Some of the last of our sweet corn...

This phrase still surprises me after 2 or 3 readings. The sweet corn up here in northern Minnesota is just coming into its own, and much of it is being schlepped up from the middle and southern parts of the state. I keep thinking that those of you farther south in the USA would have sweet corn later in the season than this! Does it have to do with the particular variety you plant?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'd happily take the tajin seasoning but use it with something edible instead! 🙂

I am not one to talk anybody out of their Food dislikes.

i despise cilantro and no amount of reasoned argument will make it not taste like soap. 

But perhaps you never had fresh corn? Canned and frozen corn is vile.